FORUMS

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more

Verizon Moto X 2014 Receives Root On Kitkat 4.4.4

The Verizon Moto X 2014 has finally received root, albeit only on Kitkat 4.4.4 … more

Android 5.1.1 Released, Google Cell Service – XDA TV

Android Lollipop 5.1.1 has been released. That and much more news is covered … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

activating wifi hotspot from widget on FroYo

29th May 2010, 06:28 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
Donate to Me
More
Yes, using AnyCut, the Tethering settings activity is the 7th "Settings" activity in the list that AnyCut produces when creating a new shortcut.

Or you can use an app that I've quickly put together for this purpose Someone's already posted a similar one, but since I've done it too, I might as well share it too. The icon's title is "Internet Sharing" and it has that green waves icon from android-wifi-tether app.
Attached Files
File Type: apk TetheringShortcut.apk - [Click for QR Code] (15.5 KB, 623 views)
 
 
30th May 2010, 04:03 PM |#12  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdsdf

Here's the code:

public class tethersettings extends Activity {
@Override
public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.main);

// load tether setting dialog
Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
ComponentName com = new ComponentName("com.android.settings", "com.android.settings.TetherSettings");
intent.setComponent(com);
startActivity(intent);

// exit
finish();
// kill process
android.os.Process.killProcess(android.os.Process. myPid());

}
}

Hello jmdsdf, do you know if something similar can be done but to access directly Applications Management? You know, the screen where you can move apps to SD, force stop them and so on. I'm fed up of going to settings just to end an application. I've found that Advanced Task Manager doesn't kill tasks properly in Froyo, at least for me.

Sorry for the off-topic, didn't want to open a new thread just because of this.
31st May 2010, 03:30 PM |#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimar1

Hello jmdsdf, do you know if something similar can be done but to access directly Applications Management? You know, the screen where you can move apps to SD, force stop them and so on. I'm fed up of going to settings just to end an application. I've found that Advanced Task Manager doesn't kill tasks properly in Froyo, at least for me.

Sorry for the off-topic, didn't want to open a new thread just because of this.

Every activity (basically every screen on the system) can be shortcut this way. For the "Manage applications" screen, substitute "com.android.settings.TetherSettings" with "com.android.settings.ManageApplications".
31st May 2010, 03:32 PM |#14  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikipirs

Every activity (basically every screen on the system) can be shortcut this way. For the "Manage applications" screen, substitute "com.android.settings.TetherSettings" with "com.android.settings.ManageApplications".


Thanks pikipirs!
31st May 2010, 03:47 PM |#15  
britoso's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 287
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: activating wifi hotspot from widget on FroYo
Perfect, thanks.
Quote:

Yes, using AnyCut, the Tethering settings activity is the 7th "Settings" activity in the list that AnyCut produces when creating a new shortcut.

Last edited by britoso; 1st June 2010 at 05:28 PM.
1st June 2010, 10:05 PM |#16  
brenopoubel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
I'm still waiting for a widget that can i turn on and off directly from homescreen.
2nd June 2010, 08:27 PM |#17  
nephroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikipirs

Yes, using AnyCut, the Tethering settings activity is the 7th "Settings" activity in the list that AnyCut produces when creating a new shortcut.

Or you can use an app that I've quickly put together for this purpose Someone's already posted a similar one, but since I've done it too, I might as well share it too. The icon's title is "Internet Sharing" and it has that green waves icon from android-wifi-tether app.


Thanks for your help. I really wanted this!
5th June 2010, 09:11 AM |#18  
worker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
I just made this icon for tethering shortcuts



Last edited by worker1; 5th June 2010 at 12:23 PM.
2nd July 2010, 07:10 AM |#19  
Senior Member
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdsdf

Updated with capitalization:

jmdsdf.yi.org/share/TetherSettings.apk

Three other apps with a similar idea (for changing APNs, data settings and wifi settings):

jmdsdf.yi.org/share/ApnSettings.apk
jmdsdf.yi.org/share/DataSettings.apk
jmdsdf.yi.org/share/WifiSettings.apk

works great. would be perfect if you could create a better icon that looks like the one froyo uses to show that tether is active.
2nd July 2010, 09:01 AM |#20  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikryst

works great. would be perfect if you could create a better icon that looks like the one froyo uses to show that tether is active.

If you have the Android SDK installed search for a file named android.jar, open it with winrar and go to res/drawable/drawable-hdpi and look for

stat_sys_tether_general.png
stat_sys_tether_usb.png
stat_sys_tether_wifi.png

Problem is these are the icons that appear in the notification bar, so they are quite small to use as an app icon, but a little bit of photoshop and you would be good.

PS: all credit goes to http://androiddrawableexplorer.appspot.com/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes