WiFi issues on 5ghz band only

Search This thread

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
I purchased the blue S4 from Best buy about a month ago. It lasted 3 days and then started giving me errors (like authentication error occurred or disconnected due to slow network) when using my Wifi on the 5ghz band only. The 2.4ghz always seems fine. I have to use 5ghz though because our baby monitor kills the 2.4ghz band. I took it back to Best buy got another one. That one lasted about 17 days and then I started to get the same Wifi issue.
So last night I went back again and got another one. The Wifi issue started within hours. Im on my 3rd one now.

I have reset the router to factory. I tried with an open network (no password required) and still get the same errors.

To top it off, my wife has the purple S4 and she has no issues at all.

I'm torn at what to do. Get a 4th one, try another color, or go back to the htc one.

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I purchased the blue S4 from Best buy about a month ago. It lasted 3 days and then started giving me errors (like authentication error occurred or disconnected due to slow network) when using my Wifi on the 5ghz band only. The 2.4ghz always seems fine. I have to use 5ghz though because our baby monitor kills the 2.4ghz band. I took it back to Best buy got another one. That one lasted about 17 days and then I started to get the same Wifi issue.
So last night I went back again and got another one. The Wifi issue started within hours. Im on my 3rd one now.

I have reset the router to factory. I tried with an open network (no password required) and still get the same errors.

To top it off, my wife has the purple S4 and she has no issues at all.

I'm torn at what to do. Get a 4th one, try another color, or go back to the htc one.

I've been getting the same error lately as well. I just picked up my dual band router thinking it'd be a good update from my old 802.11g one. I'm not sure it's the phone or some settings I have to dig through to make things work?!
Pretty annoying right now though.

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap
Hyperdrive 12

Sprint Galaxy S4
Philz
Carbon 4.4

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
I picked up my 4th S4 tonight. So far it's going well. I had them give me the oldest one they could find. It had 4.2.2 on it. I updated to 4.3 but im afraid to take the MK2 update. That may be what kills the wifi.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I picked up my 4th S4 tonight. So far it's going well. I had them give me the oldest one they could find. It had 4.2.2 on it. I updated to 4.3 but im afraid to take the MK2 update. That may be what kills the wifi.

Well I'm on MJ7 and have these issues. . My other Sprint s4 is on MK2 and same deal so. . That article posted above says to check router settings. I didn't get a chance to yet myself I worked way to late last night

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap
Hyperdrive 12

Sprint Galaxy S4
Philz
Carbon 4.4

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
Here is another update. Im now on my 4th one. It started dropping the 5ghz band again so i took the mk2 update. Still cant stay connected to the 5ghz ban.

So tonight i took back my netgear n900 router and upgraded to the netgear ac6300. Nice router but no change. It connects fine to 2.4 but not 5.

My wifes purple s4 still is cruising along without problems on 5ghz.

Sezmar

Aug 24, 2010
Dayton
I have been trying to duplicate this issue in my home, I have not been able to except when I use the same channel as my neighbor. Have any of you used WIFI Analyzer from the Market to make sure you are not receiving drops due to another carrier over riding your own? Also, if you have a ROKU 3 in your home check the channel as well, I have seen this cause some problems. My channel is on 161 with with QOS WMM support on.

Last edited:
Reactions: krispy521

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
I have been trying to duplicate this issue in my home, I have not been able to except when I use the same channel as my neighbor. Have any of you used WIFI Analyzer from the Market to make sure you are not receiving drops due to another carrier over riding your own? Also, if you have a ROKU 3 in your home check the channel as well, I have seen this cause some problems. My channel is on 161 with with QOS WMM support on.

I did use WIFI Analyzer and I don't have anyone around me with 5ghz networks to even worry about. Last night with the new router, I updated to the latest firmware, tried WMM on or off, tried with and without a password, and I tried multiple channels. I could not connect to 5ghz for the life of me.

Logged into the 2.4ghz and it connected in less than a second. I just don't get it.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'd like to find out why this happening too. I've played around with all the router settings as well and no dice. I have a netgear ac1200 and it'd be nice to use the 5ghz

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'd like to find out why this happening too. I've played around with all the router settings as well and no dice. I have a netgear ac1200 and it'd be nice to use the 5ghz

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Guys, I've been having the same issue and just gave up a few months ago, just working off the 2.4. I realized it's not the router, when I was in the car trying to use the Hotspot and no one could connect. They were able to before all this started. After fiddling with it for quite a while I realized that it was transmitting at 5ghz. I switched to 2.4 and everything came up. Definitely the phone.

DOMasters

Mar 9, 2016
I got the same problem with my note 3 (n9005) on every rom since 5.0.
I can see the AC WiFis, but I'm unable to connect. It makes no difference, choosing another channel or trying it in another network.

The behaviour: it tries to connect, (connecting..) after not even a half second, it just falls back into the state like I newer tried to connect (password is saved, and it don't says, it's a wrong password entered.) If I enter a wrong password, it tells me to reenter the correct password.

Any suggestions, what it could be?..

Thanks in advance :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.