29th May 2010, 08:45 PM   |  #41  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,095

6,960 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98

How full was your battery though? The rate slows as the battery nears 100%

70% ish, maybe 73... No, pretty sure it's just the charger. I've modified one of my three cigarette lighter USB chargers to short the middle pins and finally I get charging FAST and 600-700mA coming in from the charger. I think it only shows the amount of charge going into the battery, ie: if 900mAh is coming down the cord and 200mAh is what the phone is currently using, it'd show 700mAh. Anyway, just a guess there.

Regardless, my modified charger is charging fast... I'm letting it run for a while to see how it does.
30th May 2010, 05:23 PM   |  #42  
Flag Taylorville, IL.
Thanks Meter: 269

2,168 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

70% ish, maybe 73... No, pretty sure it's just the charger. I've modified one of my three cigarette lighter USB chargers to short the middle pins and finally I get charging FAST and 600-700mA coming in from the charger. I think it only shows the amount of charge going into the battery, ie: if 900mAh is coming down the cord and 200mAh is what the phone is currently using, it'd show 700mAh. Anyway, just a guess there.

Regardless, my modified charger is charging fast... I'm letting it run for a while to see how it does.

How did you short the middle pins? Did you solder something in there or what did you do?
I may have to end up doing that to this charger if it can't keep up as is.
30th May 2010, 06:24 PM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 8

339 posts
More
the google or htc car dock one works perfectly fine for me and charges fast, well worth it imo, that way you dont have to worry about shorting pins and jerry rigging something that might burn out sometime in the future
31st May 2010, 12:48 AM   |  #44  
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgustip8ted

the google or htc car dock one works perfectly fine for me and charges fast, well worth it imo, that way you dont have to worry about shorting pins and jerry rigging something that might burn out sometime in the future

If the google car dock wasn't so disgustingly hideous, I would consider one... but I'm not setting my beautiful N1 in that thing :-\
1st June 2010, 03:20 AM   |  #45  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,095

6,960 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98

How did you short the middle pins? Did you solder something in there or what did you do?
I may have to end up doing that to this charger if it can't keep up as is.

Yes, I opened up one of my car chargers here and soldered the two middle (data) pins, works fine now.. Puts 500-600mAh into the phone as far as I can tell, haven't measured actual speeds and such but phone+Waze+bright screen it's still charging at 200-300mAh so that's good enough for me.
2nd June 2010, 04:21 PM   |  #46  
Flag Valley Stream, NY
Thanks Meter: 109

1,422 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm seeing so many links to different websites for car chargers and such and I cannot decide which one I want to get.

Has anybody used this for the car?
http://www.zagg.com/accessories/usb-...ar-charger.php

Currently i have the mini-usb i guess it is (car + home charger) from T-Mobile. I used the charger for the car all the time and it worked fine.

I actually need two new chargers now. One for home and for the car.

Any recommendations?
2nd June 2010, 04:31 PM   |  #47  
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
Ok, my Belkin came today. I haven't tried it out yet, but after a lot of reading around I am fairly certain that it will not quick charge in it's current condition and I will be modding it this evening. I will post back with results later.
2nd June 2010, 05:05 PM   |  #48  
Flag North Texas
Thanks Meter: 22

291 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d00mz

I just ordered the Griffin iPad 2A USB charger. I'll report back with results.

http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpn...99~pdp.gaiiidh

Was delivered yesterday. When I get my car back this afternoon, I'll post results.
2nd June 2010, 05:33 PM   |  #49  
Flag Valley Stream, NY
Thanks Meter: 109

1,422 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm about to go buy the T-Mobile dual (wall + car charger) it worked fine on my g1 and if it doesnt work good i can always return it.

EDIT: Just bought the T-Mobile dual (wall + car charger) using the wall charger function now it works without a problem. My phone was at about 52% a few minutes ago. It's at 75% now
Last edited by Coderedpl; 2nd June 2010 at 07:53 PM.
3rd June 2010, 01:20 AM   |  #50  
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
Thumbs up
Ok, reporting back in. In it's stock form the Belkin USB charger does NOT fast charge. It only SLOW charges. I verified this via cat /proc/kmsg

So, it's MOD time!
After stabbing myself in the thumb I was able to crack the lil guy open. Woohoo!

Except we want this side of the board (it just pops out). Here I pointed with an arrow the 2 middle pins of the USB port that need to be shorted:

A quick solder job later, and blamo, we have shorted USB pins:

I popped it back together (it's going to need a spot of glue to stay together safely as it is glued from the factory and you have to break the factory glue to open it) and hurriedly ran out to my car to test out the modified charger.
I plugged it in and:

GREAT SUCCESS!
The phone is acknowledging FAST charge!! I will have to put it to the real test tomorrow on a drive with Nav going, but I am positive this will take care of the issue.
Thanks for tips in this thread!

The Following User Says Thank You to GldRush98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread