291 posts
Thanks Meter: 66

By darksherko, Senior Member on 21st April 2014, 06:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th April 2016, 10:59 AM |#71  
Flag Dumfries
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Im an Amateur Photographer, i find this phone useful for the shoots i do, not only can i use the htc to connect my DSLR to and use for live view and shoot from the phone, to cut back on cables and release remotes i sometimes use the IR to wirelessly trigger and time shots when im doing Night shoots, the moon and stuff and star trails, it helps so much to cut out and camera shake whatsoever by downloading the nikon remote on google to control the DSLR, thats one of the things that attracted me to HTC, not many phones have IR these days, not sure if the M10 or the M8s has it, but the iclusion of IR would definitley influence my next upgrade.
Long Live HTC...

1st May 2016, 02:48 PM |#72  
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza35

Im an Amateur Photographer, i find this phone useful for the shoots i do, not only can i use the htc to connect my DSLR to and use for live view and shoot from the phone, to cut back on cables and release remotes i sometimes use the IR to wirelessly trigger and time shots when im doing Night shoots, the moon and stuff and star trails, it helps so much to cut out and camera shake whatsoever by downloading the nikon remote on google to control the DSLR, thats one of the things that attracted me to HTC, not many phones have IR these days, not sure if the M10 or the M8s has it, but the iclusion of IR would definitley influence my next upgrade.
Long Live HTC...

IR on mobiles is now history. Samsung has dropped it and so has HTC on the new HTC 10. You can buy an IR remote for your camera for 1.98 on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ML-L3-IR-R...MAAOSwnH1WY~Gc
1st May 2016, 05:56 PM |#73  
Flag Dumfries
Thanks Meter: 34

More
IR on mobiles is now history. Samsung has dropped it and so has HTC on the new HTC 10. You can buy an IR remote for your camera for 1.98 on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ML-L3-IR-R...MAAOSwnH1WY~Gc

Yes there is that, which i already have. BUT, Its not strictly true that IR has been completely Dropped, Certain Models do appear especially with the IR, eg, Galaxy s4, s5, One M8, Sony Xperia Z Ultra etc etc etc, but my point was theres a lot of Photography apps on my M8 that i use, so to be able to link it to my DSLT, which doesnt have live view is a godsend because i can sit back, open the shutter for 20 mins on a Long Exp, have a smoke and brew, look at my phone and see that the app is telling me that im approaching the 20 mins, click the button on my phone again, done.

OH i forgot, theres also the point that i love to annoy folk, so going to mates house and turning his tv on and off every few minutes is quite amusing, i swear he thinks his house is haunted, ha ha, (Thatll teach him for watching Emmerdale, the off button does come in handy after all)

Regards.
5th May 2016, 08:30 PM |#74  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,250

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza35

Its not strictly true that IR has been completely Dropped, Certain Models do appear especially with the IR, eg, Galaxy s4, s5, One M8, Sony Xperia Z Ultra etc etc etc,

Those are all old devices. The point of the quote was that Samsung and HTC both dropped the IR blaster with this year's flagship phones (Sammy S7 and HTC 10) - although the LG retained the IR blaster with the G5. It seems like manufacturers thought it was a cool feature to include for a while, but they realized not many people used it. At least, probably not popular enough to justify the expense and space taken by the IR hardware.

Myself, I thought it was really cool at first, to use my phone as a TV remote. But it turned out, I really don't use it much for that.

In any case, IR is a really antiquated, 80s type technology. Bluetooth and WiFi are probably the way forward, both for controlling DSLRs and TVs.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
8th May 2016, 11:04 PM |#75  
Flag Shoreham-by-Sea
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Does anyone know of any apps which are able to read & learn an IR command from an existing remote & program it in? I have an HDMI switcher but can't find an app which supports it, & the remote I have only works from about a metre away!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)