FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] HDXPosed 1.3 : signature check, play store, downloads, wallpaper fix...

947 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,343

By Cpasjuste, Senior Member on 20th January 2014, 05:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2016, 06:36 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

re: desire to tweak is so strong.
lol - I feel your 'pain'!

ROM link is correct. Look through posts in that thread and the one for Safestrap v4. Then (if desired) publish an brief outline of your plan. A contributor will comment if something appears amiss.

I decided not to go for the nexus rom for the time being, but instead got into a world of trouble just flashing the opengapps package with safestrap 4. Somehow, after a successful installation, all was working, but I noticed that my home and back etc softkeys were GONE. I installed Button Savior, but the home button would not take me anywhere. It became impossible to navigate, so I did a factory reset. That made things worse, because I could not complete the initial setup and the soft keys were still missing and there is no way to get back to home and no way to get to any apps. AND, (at this point I am laughing at my own stupidity) of course everything that i had had on the internal sd card was gone, so I could not install any rom at all unless I was able to put one on via usb cable. My laptop recognized the Fire, but the internal memory was not writable!! I could not move anything onto it. Totally screwed. I tried adb and device was recognized but when I tried to push file over I got some kind of error, like "not allowed" or something. I would like to return the fire to the marketplace seller (used device) because I already had reported to them that the wifi was very quirky, and they told me to try a factory reset but not to worry because I had 30 days to return it, but I would like to give them a device that would at least BOOT with working soft keys and of course I would like to get rid of safestrap before returning. So, to recap this sad sorry story, I am left with a kindle fire hdx 7 that boots to safestrap recovery or proceeds to normal boot , to the setup screens to select language and connect wifi etc., I also have access to status bar with settings etc but cannot move backwards or forward and eventually the unit just turns off. I have no idea what to do now. BTW, I have rooted and custom rommed every android phone and tablet and e-reader that I have ever owned, all the way back to my Nexus One phone, and never once bricked. Yet here I am, having destroyed both my old original hdx from 2013 and my new used 3rd generation hdx, within the span of one week. Any ideas on how to get this unit in shape to return it? Many thanks for even just reading this.......

16th May 2016, 02:36 PM |#112  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,546

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24

I decided not to go for the nexus rom for the time being, but instead got into a world of trouble just flashing the opengapps package with safestrap 4. Somehow, after a successful installation, all was working, but I noticed that my home and back etc softkeys were GONE. I installed Button Savior, but the home button would not take me anywhere. It became impossible to navigate, so I did a factory reset. That made things worse, because I could not complete the initial setup and the soft keys were still missing and there is no way to get back to home and no way to get to any apps. AND, (at this point I am laughing at my own stupidity) of course everything that i had had on the internal sd card was gone, so I could not install any rom at all unless I was able to put one on via usb cable. My laptop recognized the Fire, but the internal memory was not writable!! I could not move anything onto it. Totally screwed. I tried adb and device was recognized but when I tried to push file over I got some kind of error, like "not allowed" or something. I would like to return the fire to the marketplace seller (used device) because I already had reported to them that the wifi was very quirky, and they told me to try a factory reset but not to worry because I had 30 days to return it, but I would like to give them a device that would at least BOOT with working soft keys and of course I would like to get rid of safestrap before returning. So, to recap this sad sorry story, I am left with a kindle fire hdx 7 that boots to safestrap recovery or proceeds to normal boot , to the setup screens to select language and connect wifi etc., I also have access to status bar with settings etc but cannot move backwards or forward and eventually the unit just turns off. I have no idea what to do now. BTW, I have rooted and custom rommed every android phone and tablet and e-reader that I have ever owned, all the way back to my Nexus One phone, and never once bricked. Yet here I am, having destroyed both my old original hdx from 2013 and my new used 3rd generation hdx, within the span of one week. Any ideas on how to get this unit in shape to return it? Many thanks for even just reading this.......

Amazing story on multiple levels. Safestrap v4 is a self contained environment that does not support adb/tethered access. Factory reset is terminal; nothing can be done. A little advance reading or a quick post outlining intentions could have prevented this. Probably best to stay away from Amazon devices.
16th May 2016, 05:53 PM |#113  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Amazing story on multiple levels. Safestrap v4 is a self contained environment that does not support adb/tethered access. Factory reset is terminal; nothing can be done. A little advance reading or a quick post outlining intentions could have prevented this. Probably best to stay away from Amazon devices.

Yes sadly, done with Fire OS. Honestly I did read how to flash the gapps, followed the procedure exactly. I think I went wrong when I removed system apps to make room for the gapps package. I googled each process before moving it out of System-priv but when I had to go back and remove more of them because of failure due to lack of space I must have accidentally gone into System (not priv) and removed something that controlled softkeys and commands which Button Savior needed to work and by the time I realized my mistake I had already done the factory reset. One thing I am puzzled about though, is why doing the factory reset disabled the internal memory from being accessed over regular usb. Oh well never mind done is done. I will wait to hear back from vendor aboout return.....I feel sooo bad! Thank you for all of your responses, really appreciated!

EDIT: If nothing else I am persistent. I tried adb again, and was able to push the nexus rom.zip file to sdcard (even though not showing up on my pc, safestrap saw the file) so I did another wipe, then flashed the nexus rom with safestrap and voila, a working Nexus HDX thor. OMG. adb and safestrap saved the day.
17th May 2016, 12:02 AM |#114  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,546

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24

Yes sadly, done with Fire OS. Honestly I did read how to flash the gapps, followed the procedure exactly. I think I went wrong when I removed system apps to make room for the gapps package. I googled each process before moving it out of System-priv but when I had to go back and remove more of them because of failure due to lack of space I must have accidentally gone into System (not priv) and removed something that controlled softkeys and commands which Button Savior needed to work and by the time I realized my mistake I had already done the factory reset. One thing I am puzzled about though, is why doing the factory reset disabled the internal memory from being accessed over regular usb. Oh well never mind done is done. I will wait to hear back from vendor aboout return.....I feel sooo bad! Thank you for all of your responses, really appreciated!

EDIT: If nothing else I am persistent. I tried adb again, and was able to push the nexus rom.zip file to sdcard (even though not showing up on my pc, safestrap saw the file) so I did another wipe, then flashed the nexus rom with safestrap and voila, a working Nexus HDX thor. OMG. adb and safestrap saved the day.

Cool - glad it worked out. Thoughts:
- don't mess with system partition contents, especially FireOS
- GAaps would have easily fit if you had used a smaller package
- always keep a rom zip in the root of SD card for emergency recovery (sd card is not cleared by most wipes including 'factory reset')
- do not create or use secondary slots with Safestrap v4 (just don't)
- never access or perform operations from the stock recovery menu (still there) with Safestrap v4 installed - a reset will score an instant brick with no recovery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)