FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TWRP Backup] Stock Boot.IMG/ System.Img(rooted)

6,344 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,328

Post Reply Email Thread
6th April 2016, 03:36 PM |#31  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,209

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idofthephoenix

i have installed SkyDragon M8 v 1.6.5 Brightstar-WWE Sense 7 *AT&T on my AT&T HTC M8 but i don't have S-OFF could i do the restore via TWRP and be ok?

Should be.

FYI, S-off has nothing to do with flashing ROM, or restoring TWRP backups, and s-on is fine.

Whenever in doubt about flashing something, make a TWRP backup of your current setup (in this case, Skydragon), and you can easily revert if you run into problems. If you made a TWRP backup of the stock ROM before flashing custom ROMs, you can just restore that as well.

But the backup in this thread is really old. Its KitKat (4.4.2 I believe). What reason exactly do you want to go back to stock?
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free

7th April 2016, 05:39 AM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Oh I See.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Should be.

FYI, S-off has nothing to do with flashing ROM, or restoring TWRP backups, and s-on is fine.

Whenever in doubt about flashing something, make a TWRP backup of your current setup (in this case, Skydragon), and you can easily revert if you run into problems. If you made a TWRP backup of the stock ROM before flashing custom ROMs, you can just restore that as well.

But the backup in this thread is really old. Its KitKat (4.4.2 I believe). What reason exactly do you want to go back to stock?

Thank for the answer. I was guessing it was an old version. What i really wanted to do is go to stock because i wanted to sell my phone and the location where i'm selling doesn't accept rooted phones. so i wanted to restore it to stock. it's a shame i can't find the newest os though i wish i could flash a debloated at&t marshmallow one but i have yet to find it .
7th April 2016, 02:16 PM |#33  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Thank for the answer. I was guessing it was an old version. What i really wanted to do is go to stock because i wanted to sell my phone and the location where i'm selling doesn't accept rooted phones. so i wanted to restore it to stock. it's a shame i can't find the newest os though i wish i could flash a debloated at&t marshmallow one but i have yet to find it .

Since the intent is simply to return to stock for resale, just relock the bootloader and RUU back to stock.

See my Index thread under "RUUs". The latest for AT&T is Lollipop 4.28.502.2 since they have not release Marshmallow yet.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751432
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
7th April 2016, 02:45 PM |#34  

More
Quote:

Since the intent is simply to return to stock for resale, just relock the bootloader and RUU back to stock.

See my Index thread under "RUUs". The latest for AT&T is Lollipop 4.28.502.2 since they have not release Marshmallow yet.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751432

Do I require s-off to run RUU on my phone? sorry for so many questions. it's just everywhere i've read that i need s-off to run RUUs so i've been avoiding using it for fear of bricking my phone.
7th April 2016, 03:02 PM |#35  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Do I require s-off to run RUU on my phone? sorry for so many questions. it's just everywhere i've read that i need s-off to run RUUs so i've been avoiding using it for fear of bricking my phone.

S-on is fine. RUU is an official HTC update/recovery tool; and works fine on stock devices. That is, as long as its the RUU intended for your version (AT&T), and you do not try to run an older version RUU than the firmware on the phone ("downgrade").

S-off is only needed to run another version's RUU; for which you need s-off to change the phone's CID and MID in order for the RUU to work.

S-off also removes the requirement to relock the bootloader to RUU, and allows you to "downgrade" (run older version RUU).

But its not mandatory to run the RUUs meant for AT&T M8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
7th April 2016, 05:13 PM |#36  

More
Quote:

S-on is fine. RUU is an official HTC update/recovery tool; and works fine on stock devices. That is, as long as its the RUU intended for your version (AT&T), and you do not try to run an older version RUU than the firmware on the phone ("downgrade").

S-off is only needed to run another version's RUU; for which you need s-off to change the phone's CID and MID in order for the RUU to work.

S-off also removes the requirement to relock the bootloader to RUU, and allows you to "downgrade" (run older version RUU).

But its not mandatory to run the RUUs meant for AT&T M8.

awesome!!! thank you, just a quick question would it not conflict with skydragon since i used the one based on marshmallow?
13th April 2016, 02:20 PM |#37  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

just a quick question would it not conflict with skydragon since i used the one based on marshmallow?

No conflict. It doesn't matter what ROM is on the phone when you RUU. The RUU will over-write all partitions on the phone to stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
15th May 2016, 07:51 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Wondering if anyone can help me update to the latest MM update. I've tried all I know so far. I am currently running a stock, rooted ROM, 4.4.4. I'm s-on with a relocked bootloader. Software version 3.42.502.1. Stock recovery. I've tried flashing an ruu to no avail. Everything I've done so far has just failed completely. Not sure what my next steps should be. I can provide as much info as needed. Thanks for any help!

Edit: my mindset has been on flashing an ruu so I can return to completely stock and just ota the mm update. Not sure if that's the correct process though.
16th May 2016, 07:26 PM |#39  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27

I've tried all I know so far.

I've tried flashing an ruu to no avail. Everything I've done so far has just failed completely.

None of this actually tells us what you tried or didn't try so far (aside from "flashing an RUU"). Or what the results of each was.

What RUU or RUUs did you try (exact file name)? Did you get an error message (if so, what error number and error message)?

Use Win7 and USB 2.0 for best compatibility with RUU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27

Edit: my mindset has been on flashing an ruu so I can return to completely stock and just ota the mm update. Not sure if that's the correct process though.

You are correct, that is probably your best bet (flash 4.28.502 RUU to return to stock, then OTA to MM). As long as your bootloader is relocked (as you said it was) and running the right RUU on the right PC, RUU should work fine.

You can try the AT&T MM RUU. But from what I can tell, all the Marshmallow RUUs for all CIDs will fail with Error 155 or 159 if you try to RUU from LP to MM, and the only way around this is to flash the MM firmware first, then RUU (and the 6.20.502 version is too new to have firmware posted).

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

EDIT: If you get Error 155 or 159 running the MM RUU, here is the MM firmware 6.20.502, and instructions on how to flash (then MM RUU): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=23
17th May 2016, 12:52 AM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:

None of this actually tells us what you tried or didn't try so far (aside from "flashing an RUU"). Or what the results of each was.

What RUU or RUUs did you try (exact file name)? Did you get an error message (if so, what error number and error message)?

Use Win7 and USB 2.0 for best compatibility with RUU.

You are correct, that is probably your best bet (flash 4.28.502 RUU to return to stock, then OTA to MM). As long as your bootloader is relocked (as you said it was) and running the right RUU on the right PC, RUU should work fine.

You can try the AT&T MM RUU. But from what I can tell, all the Marshmallow RUUs for all CIDs will fail with Error 159 if you try to RUU from LP to MM, and the only way around this is to flash the MM firmware first, then RUU (and the 6.20.502 version is too new to have firmware posted).

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Thanks a lot for the response. I finally figured out what I was missing. And sorry for the little info at first!

I was first trying to just run the ruu normally with the .exe file, but it wouldn't run the program, so I figured windows 10 may not be compatible. Then I just tried flashing the ruu .zip and it would fail, giving me a #12 signature error or something like that. And a couple things after that just didn't work. Ends up windows 10 wasn't necessarily the issue, I was just missing the run-time software that allows the .exe file to run. Installed those packages, ran the ruu, flashed perfectly, and I'm now running marshmallow! So many more things involved than the nexus phones :/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)