By Flyview, Senior Member on 6th May 2014, 04:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd May 2016, 10:15 PM |#281  
Flag Kariong
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview

Hey guys, I need your help testing something. I think I have found a way to reduce battery usage for the turn-on-by-proximity but it could just be an anomaly on the Nexus 5.

1) Install GSAM + its root companion so it can see sensor usage.
2) Install the attached KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-lessprox.apk
3) Enable turn-on-by-proximity and keep-screen-on-by-proximity, time to turn off 20s
4) Plug in phone
5) Unplug phone
6) Let screen time out
7) Wait 1min
8) Turn screen on and immediately check KinScreen app usage in GSAM, note down how long proximity sensor used.

Repeat the test again but this time install KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-moreprox.apk.

Post your results here!

KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-lessprox.apk = 21s
KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-moreprox.apk = 1m22s
The Following User Says Thank You to Weetbix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Weetbix Ad-Free

23rd May 2016, 01:32 AM |#282  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto/Waterloo
Thanks Meter: 1,181

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weetbix

KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-lessprox.apk = 21s
KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-moreprox.apk = 1m22s

Sweet, thanks! What device?
23rd May 2016, 01:46 AM |#283  
Flag Kariong
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:

Hey guys, I need your help testing something. I think I have found a way to reduce battery usage for the turn-on-by-proximity but it could just be an anomaly on the Nexus 5.

1) Install GSAM + its root companion so it can see sensor usage.
2) Install the attached KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-lessprox.apk
3) Enable turn-on-by-proximity and keep-screen-on-by-proximity, time to turn off 20s
4) Plug in phone
5) Unplug phone
6) Let screen time out
7) Wait 1min
8) Turn screen on and immediately check KinScreen app usage in GSAM, note down how long proximity sensor used.

Repeat the test again but this time install KinScreen-3.2.2-beta2-d-moreprox.apk.

Post your results here!

If you don't have root, instead of GSAM you can use an adb command to pull a stats file that will show sensor usage of all apps:
adb shell dumpsys batterystats reset (reset first, then perform test)
adb shell dumpsys batterystats > batterystats.txt (pull info)

Quote:

Sweet, thanks! What device?

No problems ... Nexus 6p
23rd May 2016, 04:15 AM |#284  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto/Waterloo

More
Published an update:

3.2.2 (May 22, 2016)
-Less battery use when using turn-on-by-proximity feature
-Use accelerometer for tilt angle if no gravity or rotation sensor available
-Don't show proximity status with only turn-on by proximity selected (would never see it)
-Added Chinese translation (thanks Mark!)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flyview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flyview Ad-Free
6th June 2016, 07:30 PM |#285  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Feature request.
I don't know if it's been already asked, but I would love a notification in the statusbar whenever the "stay on" status is triggered that automatically disappears when the "stay on" status is turned off (eg. phone put on the table).
That'd be useful for me because I need a very small rotation angle in KinScreen for my phone's use cases, and I'd like to know if the screen will stay on or not in the current position.
6th June 2016, 07:58 PM |#286  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto/Waterloo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrooo84

Feature request.
I don't know if it's been already asked, but I would love a notification in the statusbar whenever the "stay on" status is triggered that automatically disappears when the "stay on" status is turned off (eg. phone put on the table).
That'd be useful for me because I need a very small rotation angle in KinScreen for my phone's use cases, and I'd like to know if the screen will stay on or not in the current position.

That would be triggering a notification way too often, but it is doable.
6th June 2016, 11:47 PM |#287  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Great app!

I've noticed that if I start the app (or boot) while the phone is wirelessly charging, it doesn't detect the charging status, so the screen turns off. If I remove the phone from the wireless charger, then place it back on the charger, it then properly detects the charging status. This is not a problem when it is charging via the usb cable.
7th June 2016, 03:39 AM |#288  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto/Waterloo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huladaddy

Great app!

I've noticed that if I start the app (or boot) while the phone is wirelessly charging, it doesn't detect the charging status, so the screen turns off. If I remove the phone from the wireless charger, then place it back on the charger, it then properly detects the charging status. This is not a problem when it is charging via the usb cable.

Thanks for reporting that. I don't have a wireless charger to test with and I've looked into what might be causing it, but can't see what would. The app checks the charging status when it starts, so the phone must not be reporting it right away, and it must also not be reporting a change.
7th June 2016, 05:10 PM |#289  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 463

More
Quote:

That would be triggering a notification way too often, but it is doable.

If you plan to include it in future, I think instead of another notification, the existing one (the hand) can be made to change colour, just like the angle, motion etc change colour inside the app.
7th June 2016, 05:54 PM |#290  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto/Waterloo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmani

If you plan to include it in future, I think instead of another notification, the existing one (the hand) can be made to change colour, just like the angle, motion etc change colour inside the app.

Notification icons in the status bar don't have any color since Lollipop.

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flyview Ad-Free
7th June 2016, 08:19 PM |#291  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

Notification icons in the status bar don't have any color since Lollipop.

Whatever way, it would be nice to be able to see if KinScreen is currently keeping the screen on or not, outside of the app, possibly on the statusbar.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)