23rd May 2016, 02:35 AM |#3341  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 37,526

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasekbowstome

bgmg, thank you for all of this compiled information.

I broke my last phone (it followed me into the pool) and am now using another Galaxy S4. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it is the SPH-L720T, with the Sprint Spark, and I do get Spark service in some areas near my home, so I'm interested in keeping that service. I've spent the last couple hours googling, and couldn't find complete clarity on this, so I figured this was the place to ask.

I've already rooted the phone using CF-AutoRoot. If I flash on a stable cyanogenmod build (last stable jfltespr is CM12.1 from 2016-11-16), will I maintain Sprint Spark/LTE connectivity? If so, is there a benefit to updating my baseband version (currently NG5) beforehand?

As I said, I've done a lot of reading and haven't found anything definitive one way or the other. There are a LOT of older posts out there with conflicting information for the 720T. Some of them say flashing does work, but you will lose Spark, some of them don't care if they lose Spark because they're not in a coverage area anyways, some say that it will work but you just won't have the icon, and a hell of a lot of them just don't mention it one way or the other. I'm just looking for some sort of clarification here that I can upgrade to CM or SlimKat (only two I've used before) or something else without losing my Spark connectivity, if anyone could confirm.

Pretty sure that the Spark capabilites are only on Touchwiz.

23rd May 2016, 05:20 PM |#3342  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan

Pretty sure that the Spark capabilites are only on Touchwiz.

Isn't Touchwiz just the Samsung stock UI? How would that impact data speeds when using a non-stock ROM? Wouldn't that also mean that moving the 720T to any non-stock ROM would result in loss of data speeds?
23rd May 2016, 11:03 PM |#3343  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 37,526

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Isn't Touchwiz just the Samsung stock UI? How would that impact data speeds when using a non-stock ROM? Wouldn't that also mean that moving the 720T to any non-stock ROM would result in loss of data speeds?

In my experience yes, but I was simply talking about the fact that there really aren't any AOSP ROMs that are made specifically for the L720T, meaning they probably don't have the drivers for triband LTE.

24th May 2016, 01:35 AM |#3344  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

In my experience yes, but I was simply talking about the fact that there really aren't any AOSP ROMs that are made specifically for the L720T, meaning they probably don't have the drivers for triband LTE

Well that's a real bummer. :-/ Guess I won't bother. Thanks for the information!
24th May 2016, 04:55 AM |#3345  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 487

More
Quote:

Well that's a real bummer. :-/ Guess I won't bother. Thanks for the information!

Sorry for late reply. On vacation out of state for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Bilgerryan again for helping out. I do concur with his reply.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA-Developers mobile app
29th May 2016, 06:12 PM |#3346  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvanexel

Just wanted to point out here ktoonez kernel found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2297379

Supports cm12(android 5.0.x) with CPU and gpu over clocking with voltage control and more is working on L720T ok3. For me so far.

In case anybody like me islooking for oc kernel for this phone and couldn't find one, like me.

With CPU oc to 2.1ghz on performance governor phone seems cooler than every other kernel I have tried on performance gov on stock frequency.

Thread says kernel only support i9505 though.

Hi, which version of CM are you using? Or are you using it with stock OK3? ��

I visited the thread you mentioned, i have touchwiz 5.0.1 OK3, but i would install a stable CM ��. So would it work in my device? And if not, what rom are you using?
30th May 2016, 12:15 AM |#3347  
Flag Scranton
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Not to get involved but why not use Wicked-X Rom for L720T. I got spark and everything else that I need. Just wondering?

The Following User Says Thank You to EngineManShawn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EngineManShawn Ad-Free
30th May 2016, 09:17 PM |#3348  
Flag On the lake somewhere in OhIo
Thanks Meter: 3,145

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

In my experience yes, but I was simply talking about the fact that there really aren't any AOSP ROMs that are made specifically for the L720T, meaning they probably don't have the drivers for triband LTE.

Spark does work on aosp Roms the l720t was merged in to the jfltespr trees long ago I have one and had no issues with it before I changed to different device we (Octos) have a spark tester and he gets his spark speeds also

Sent from my XT1095 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bthorne79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bthorne79 Ad-Free
4th June 2016, 11:12 PM |#3349  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorne79

Spark does work on aosp Roms the l720t was merged in to the jfltespr trees long ago I have one and had no issues with it before I changed to different device we (Octos) have a spark tester and he gets his spark speeds also

Added the below paragraph to the ROMS section if the op;

bthorne79 in post 3348 confirms "Spark does work on aosp Roms..." and "Octos has a spark tester and he gets his spark speeds also"

The Following User Says Thank You to bgmg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bgmg Ad-Free
4th June 2016, 11:18 PM |#3350  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineManShawn

Not to get involved but why not use Wicked-X Rom for L720T. I got spark and everything else that I need. Just wondering?

If I recall correctly, the one thing that does not work is WiFi calling. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

4th June 2016, 11:23 PM |#3351  
Flag On the lake somewhere in OhIo
Thanks Meter: 3,145

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmg

If I recall correctly, the one thing that does not work is WiFi calling. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct that's built in to Samsung dialer frameworks and carrier provision

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bthorne79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bthorne79 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy, gs4, mk5, root, sprint

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)