Thanks Meter: 11

By kmmc, Junior Member on 2nd June 2014, 08:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th October 2015, 07:16 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmc

Okay, thank Jesus I managed to get this fixed and this is what it took.

This solution required a Rooted device.

• Restore Viber backup (for me I did this using MyBackup Pro)
  • Install SQLite Debugger from the Play Store
  • Using SQLite, try locating the Viber database files by selecting App then choosing Viber from the list (if you want to locate the database manually, for me it was under /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases)
  1. Choose the "viber_data" database
  2. Open the database, scroll to the bottom, choose "Create backup"
  3. Save the backup somewhere on your SD card (not inside the viber folder or else it will get deleted)

Repeat the same steps for the "viber_messages" database
  • Uninstall Viber (or if you are using MyBackup Pro, go under Toolbox and "Wipe the Cache & Data" for Viber)
  • Reinstall Viber so that a fresh, clean working set of databases are generated by the app (or re-open Viber)
  • Do the usual setup of entering your phone number, letting it sync contacts etc
  • Once Viber has settled down, close it
  1. Re-open SQLite Debugger
  2. Navigate back to the "viber_data" database
  3. This time, choose Restore Backup
  4. Select the backup file from your SD card
  5. Kill Viber if requested and wait for the restoration

Rinse and repeat for the "viber_messages" database

Once it is all done, reboot your device and hopefully, the next time you open Viber, the old messages & calls are all there! Unfortunately for me, presumably due to the change in ROMs, the photos sent in Viber messages are in my Gallery but NOT in Viber itself.. I suspect this can be fixed if the path is saved somewhere in the messages database - but right now, I'm just glad to have the text back.

If you get repeated errors from Viber during this process, try freezing the app using MyBackup Pro Toolbox (I believe Titanium Backup also has this option)

====

If this helped you, please click the THANKS

U are a genius .. titanium somehow deleted my backup (I am sure it was my fault, although I'm still not sure if I did anything out of the way) and so I tried all kinds of apps and recovery tools (android and windows) to no avail, finally reached Ur helpful post ... sheer brilliance is what U offer .. and a life saver ... I can't thank U enough .. do take Ur knowledge seriously, I scoured the internet, and no one offers what U do and that means a lot, out of the whole world, U are the only one with such an amazing workaround. Beautifully Brilliant ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Anubis22666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anubis22666 Ad-Free

28th October 2015, 04:19 AM |#12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Wow, thanks for all the kind words Anubis. It's only the mercy of Jesus that the solution works and still works.. I've got a programming & linux background and it helped give an idea as to what might be causing the issue Really glad it's continuing to help others!

Have a great day,
Kristy
The Following User Says Thank You to kmmc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kmmc Ad-Free
22nd December 2015, 09:53 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Great guide, kmmc !!! I worked like a charm Thank you!
2nd January 2016, 12:58 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi Kmmc and all....!!

I am in same situation as yours..!!

I have moved to new smartphone and above situation has arised for me to move viber from old smart phone to new smart phone..

Just to reconfirm I have to have follow the backup process through same steps as suggested by you .
can i take backup on google drive through email so that i dont need to play around with sd card switch between old and new phone..
instead through gdrive i can download directly in new phone.. ?

next step would be to install viber on new phone and copy the vober_data and viber_messages file in the given path as suggested by you.

is that the right approach and understanding I am stating correctly ?

will appreciate your revert as well other members benefited by your solution..

To reiterate , your is the soimplest solution / approach compared to what all I have been exploring since last 4 days..no concerete solutions and mostly text backup or paid softwares. you are gem of a person

leo..!
23rd May 2016, 08:39 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla1966

THX a lot !!! tryed so much and your way works
but don't need SQlite - just make a backup (i used TITANIUM), put it on your PC, open it, search for these two files, copy them
copy /sdcard/viber/ media
and replace them with an explorer (i used ES)
reboot - done

btw - any idea how to integrate files from desktop-version missing on phone ???

Thanks to @cla1966 and @kmmc for their instructions here, worked a treat.
26th May 2016, 12:25 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Dear,
I got the same problem and follow your instruction step by step but it didn't work to me
I locate the 2 file (viber_data and viber_messages) in Titaniumbackup folder and restore to viber/media then restart but all the messages still didn't appear
I wish I know what's wrong
My phone is Xperia Z5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)