[DISCONTINUED] TRANSPARENT Genie Widget from Android 4.1 JB (BLUE AND MIUI COLORS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

leo.chirkov

Oct 13, 2014
Minsk
I've being using this mod for at least two years by now, but a few days ago weather info became unavailable. It only shows "weather isn't available at the moment". Am I the only one who faces the problem?

samsung_a460

May 20, 2016

Same here.

I'm having the same problem as Slaugh7er above. The weather is not loading. It just says "There was a network error. Try again later." This started happening a little while ago.

I cleared the dalvik-cache, cleared all data, rebooted, and no luck.

Any one have any ideas ? Is it still working for anyone ? Did Google change something - maybe server of the data location ? Recently the Google Now and Google + apps have been updated. Could this have broken something ?

brianius

Sep 21, 2007
I've being using this mod for at least two years by now, but a few days ago weather info became unavailable. It only shows "weather isn't available at the moment". Am I the only one who faces the problem?

Same here and for all the old geniewidget versions but the newest one. They seem to have changed from weatherchannel to weather.com. Bad idea and bad move!

Is there a chance that the OP edits the url of the weather data source to the new one?

Or does anybody have an alternative to this beautiful and simple weather forecast? I would definitely pay for one, just the 24h forecast as in the old newswidget (since 2010). Every other app is complicated and totally wrong. The graph with movable time selection is still king!

Thanks in advance OP and all other developers!

Last edited:

Ducter

Jan 10, 2009
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Same here, everything has stopped working. It's an old app but I've used it for years and couldn't have been happier. The new versions I just don't care for, this was simple and worked great.

tstack77

Nov 9, 2007
Chicago
HTC One (m7)
HTC EVO 3D
Same problem here. There is nothing that compares on the play store, so annoying. Has anyone found a transparent version of the newer/updated app? The dark gray or white choices just don't cut it.

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Man oh man!

This was literally my favorite mod ever, that I HAD to have on every new device and ROM. Now none of the news stories update at all either.
@thunderteaser - any simple way to possibly fix this? Don't know if it's a simple decompile / fix links / recompile or what, but I am devastated by this one not working anymore. :crying:

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
Dear all, I'm glad that you liked my transparent mod and I admit I am stunned by seeing that some of you guys have been using it until a few days ago. Unfortunately, since this was just a graphical mod and I haven't touched a single string of code for the google server part, I guess Big G stopped supporting this app and there is nothing I can do about it. Time has come to say goodbye. :crying:

Thank you very much for using it and wish you all the best!

To any mods reading this: you can now close this thread.

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Dear all, I'm glad that you liked my transparent mod and I admit I am stunned by seeing that some of you guys have been using it until a few days ago. Unfortunately, since this was just a graphical mod and I haven't touched a single string of code for the google server part, I guess Big G stopped supporting this app and there is nothing I can do about it. Time has come to say goodbye. :crying:

Roger that, I will go ahead and close it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, guys!

I managed to mod an application to have a transparent background and it worked just fine, so I decided to share it with you. :)

This is the new News and Weather Widget from Google that works on Froyo and above on every ROM and every device. It has some new features such as displaying more information on the weather by clicking on the weather icon within the app (as you can see in the first picture) and a cool cerulean highlight effect when pressing on the widget.

Since 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean, it was updated to improve freshness and power consumption.

*UPDATE*

Updated GenieWidget to 1.3.11 from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors when pressing on the widget on the home screen: ORIGINAL BLUE or MIUI ORANGE!

Thanks to c3k for providing the Jelly Bean apk and to YOU FOR DOWNLOADING IT MORE THAN 10000 TIMES! I started sharing it just for fun, how could I've ever expected it? Thanks! :fingers-crossed:

*INSTRUCTIONS*

• Uninstall any previous version, if any (if it's a system apk, remove it using Root Explorer or any equivalent apk);
    • Download the version you desire (BLUE glow or MIUI glow);
    • Push it to /system/app with adb, or just copy it to your sdcard and install it as a regular apk;
    • Enjoy! :)

*TROUBLESHOOTING*

Having troubles or force closes? Please, remember that this is just a mod, I'm not the author of the original apk, so make sure your problems are coming from my mods *only* before asking! If you can't see anything wrong with an original GenieWidget version, please uninstall GenieWidget, reboot to recovery, clear caches, reboot and try installing it again.

*CHANGELOG*

• 11-15-2011: Initial mod from ICS 4.0.0;
    • 02-07-2012: Updated mod to 1.3.04, from ICS 4.0.3 which now includes ICS themed tabs and minor graphical changes overall. It also supports HD resolutions (e.g. Galaxy Nexus);
    • 07-23-2012: Updated to 1.3.11 from JB 4.1; added MIUI variant; removed ICS versions.
    • 06-15-2016: Discontinuing project since Google stopped supporting GenieWidget.
    Can someone help me locate a jellybean genie widget 1.3.11 with stock theme that I can side load. I found a couple that fail install and I'm really not that good with dropping into system/app folder. I will appreciate anything you can do...

Do you mean a signed apk? Try the one attached to this post.

Roger that, I will go ahead and close it for you.
    OP updated to 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors! :highfive:
    Thanks Works Great!!