481 posts
Thanks Meter: 226

Post Reply Email Thread
2nd May 2015, 11:08 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar600

God!! Just sell the mother freaking defective handset! Why cause so much pain to yourself!!!

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

The handset isn't defective anymore

It's really an easy fix once you know what to do. I just tried to be as concise as possible in case someone else wanted to try and fix a sticking power button without disassembling their 816.

In any case, I really like the phone (minus the issue with the power button) and it is basically the best device on Virgin Mobile (US) that was under $200 USD. I thought I'd try to repair it and if I couldn't get it working, then no harm no foul - I would just return it and hope the replacement didn't have any issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to beeristasty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beeristasty Ad-Free

3rd May 2015, 04:07 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeristasty

The handset isn't defective anymore

It's really an easy fix once you know what to do. I just tried to be as concise as possible in case someone else wanted to try and fix a sticking power button without disassembling their 816.

In any case, I really like the phone (minus the issue with the power button) and it is basically the best device on Virgin Mobile (US) that was under $200 USD. I thought I'd try to repair it and if I couldn't get it working, then no harm no foul - I would just return it and hope the replacement didn't have any issues.

Man you've got some amazing patience. Happy that the phone is working fine for you. Cheers!

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
26th June 2016, 04:52 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, My 816 s power button works well, it's my volume down button that is like so flat against the phone i have to push kinda hard. I did buy a heavy duty case and the button's on case help,, but still too hard, afraid sometimes will break something pushing so hard. HTC truly should fix these issues for free. A button is to practical a component to have to glue stuff on,, push with pencil,, some stupid rigging. We pay good dang money for these things,,,make um right or get the heck outta the biz, then we won't have to choose between cheap and crap.
2nd August 2016, 02:25 PM |#24  

More
Mate, from australia. You are a legend for posting this. It worked perfectly, no dismantling of the handset required. Hope life treats you awesomely, X

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeristasty

I also oiled my power button switch but I didn't disassemble the phone. Here's how I did it - perform at your own risk. Read all of the steps first and then be very very gentle.
Tools: lots of light (led headlamp), thin prying device (fingernail and/or plastic card), oil (3-in-One multipurpose), sewing needle

Step 1: Push on the top end of the power button. (do this assuming the phone is 'standing' up ,-e.g. head phone jack is pointing straight up) This will raise the lower end of the power button
Step 2: Grab onto the lower end of the button with your fingernail or pry device
Step 3: Slightly and gently pull on the button across its length (do this as if the phone is laying down face up, e.g. the phone's screen is pointing up). Do not pull the button out all the way. If you are doing it right, you can see a very small squarish switch with a rubber plunger - this is your power button switch, and it is what is getting stuck. This is where having lots of light begins to be your best friend
Step 4: With the button still slightly pulled out lengthwise, insert the needle into the button slot and work the rubber plunger loose. I ended up using the sharp end of the needle to stick into the rubber and pull it out back into its normal resting position. Again, be gentle (p.s. you could probably do step 5 before this step as it may help loosen the plunger up a little)
Step 5: Lubricate the rubber plunger. Dip the sharp end of the needle into a little bit of oil and run the point of the needle around the edges of the rubber plunger. Be careful not to over oil, a little bit goes a long way
Step 6: Lubricate the switch. Use the eye end of the needle to push on the rubber plunger a few times
Step 7: Repeat steps 4-6 as needed
Step 8: Release the power button and test (the button may work for a few presses and then stick again)
Step 9: Repeat steps 1-8 as needed

Hey, beer is tasty, Mate, this took 30 seconds, and a couple of sharp toothpicks and fingernails and some budget sewing machine mineral oil. And I fixed it, thanks to your help. I owe ya 500 bucks or so, because had I bought a new phone, it would have cost at least that much. Have a ripper time, love ya work, from Aussie, X
13th August 2016, 03:02 AM |#25  

More
Hi,
I have HTC Desire 816, I had used this phone about 1and Half year without any problem. But now I have power button problem. Phone many times gives msg of restarting and automatically restart process done.
Warranty period is over. What should I do? What estimated cost for repair it? Please guide me.
alkesh.eng@gmail.com
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
faulty device, frustraiting, hardware button, lock button

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)