Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Deleted Gtalk -- Easiest fix?

OP Skrypt

15th June 2010, 10:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

83 posts
I uninstalled Google Talk (accidentally) via Titanium Backup. Obviously a decent screw up as it kills a lot of services without it.

I tried searching for a posted apk, but no luck. Tried extracting it from the roms used in toasts root method, but failed.

I'm an idiot. Flame away, but help, please.
15th June 2010, 10:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 30

356 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrypt

I uninstalled Google Talk (accidentally) via Titanium Backup. Obviously a decent screw up as it kills a lot of services without it.

I tried searching for a posted apk, but no luck. Tried extracting it from the roms used in toasts root method, but failed.

I'm an idiot. Flame away, but help, please.

You're not an idiot because you made a mistake...you're not an idiot period.

I removed it too and I just downloaded damage control, unzipped it, went through the folders, and grabbed gtalkservice.apk out of it, pushed it to my phone and voila...buttt I attached it for you anyhow...
Attached Files
File Type: apk gtalkservice.apk - [Click for QR Code] (367.9 KB, 5055 views)
Last edited by RavenII; 15th June 2010 at 10:30 PM.
15th June 2010, 10:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

83 posts
Cheers, mate. I'll give it a shot now.

EDIT: ooo, I love you. If you're ever in Gainesville, FL, I'll buy you a beer. Just PM me! hah
Last edited by Skrypt; 15th June 2010 at 10:39 PM.
7th July 2010, 02:36 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
This could be a stupid question but humor me please. What is google talk for??? I've set it up to not activate automaticly but it does anyways killing my battery. Is it needed?
7th July 2010, 02:40 AM   |  #5  
Where the weak are killed and eaten
Thanks Meter: 30

685 posts
It's a messaging app, like instant messenger type. I don't know if you can actually delete the apk without problems occurring. I wouldn't imagine it eats too much of your battery though.
27th July 2010, 07:49 PM   |  #6  

1 posts
GTalk as system service
I feel the same as the original poster.....like an idiot.

I deleted the GTalk application as I was not using it and was trying to free up more space. However, I started receiving the "com.google.process.gapps" error soon thereafter.

In looking through forums and the internet, it appears that is a very common error with many causes. However, having the android sdk, it was suggested to use adb to get a bugreport.

In looking at my bugreport, I saw a lot of references to calls to the GTalk service. It is an underlying system service and it appears used by other apps as well. For example, I noticed that my GMail was not syncing consistently and I found myself manually refreshing to get it to sync.

I also noted that almost without fail, when I installed new apps in the Marketplace, I would see the "com.google.process.gapps" error.

My recommendation: Keep GTalk on your phone!
26th August 2010, 11:48 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

49 posts
i did the same thing.

What does it mean to push a file to your phone? I dragged into onto my sd card and it still is giving me errors in the marker and constantly syncing...
27th August 2010, 12:42 AM   |  #8  

3 posts
Help!
This may sound really dumb but how do i go about installing the apk file? it tells me that im not allowed to cuz Google talk isnt referenced in the android market
27th August 2010, 01:19 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 131

3,103 posts
Google services on your phone rely heavily on GTalk, as you guys are seeing. Even if you don't use it you need to keep it if you want to use pretty much any google apps such as the market, gmail, etc.

To install just put the apk on your sdcard, navigate to it using your favorite file explorer and click on it. Your phone has an installer that will recognize the apk as such and ask you if you want to install it.

Because RavenII was kind enough to post the apk you guys should be able to do all of this right from your phones.

*edit- I don't think it will be a problem but if you are not rooted you might get hung up on the install... wait a second.. if you're not rooted then you wouldn't have been able to remove it in the first place haha
27th August 2010, 02:01 AM   |  #10  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 8

78 posts
More
I uninstalled Gtalk and everything is still working fine on my Evo no problems here.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google talk, reinstall
Previous Thread Next Thread