[GUIDE] How to edit build.prop on any Android device!

Search This thread

macacomen

Aug 26, 2015
Help with LG L70 build.prop

Hi. im new here, so sorry for any mistakes that i might do. :confused:
I have an LG L70 D320n, and i want to change some stuff on build.prop, but i find that mine is different! I search for some things, like "ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=...." but they dont exist in my file. I have searched and i cant understand why is my build.prop different!
There is a Website that has the build.prop. Just Google "LG L70 build.prop" and the first result should be the correct.

If anyone could help me i would be sooooo grateful!! :good::good:

Newbdroidd

Dec 20, 2015
How to edit build.prop to emulate samsung S5

Hi guys, Im recently flashed a custom android 6 rom but after i did that my phone model became unknown, so now when i go to the play store i cant download certain apps. I managed to change my phone model to S5(i think) but i still cant download what i want from play store. Ive cleared the cache and rebooted multiple times already. Anyone know why it doesnt work?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

samlis

May 18, 2013
Hi everyone I'm new here I have a note 4 n910C Rom custum , I like to know loction file or how to make a signature or write his name in about phone ,as Ditto rom or erobot or sixperience . Thank you

erkkiboy83

Nov 1, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
.hide or show settings

hey all:
so, I started playing around with the build.prop file for my Honor 6 H60-L04. And with the Android M beta it appears as if some settings are hidden, cause the code reads like this:

ro.build.hide.settings=8;1,89GHz;2.0GB;11.00GB;16. 00GB;1080x720;4.4;3.10.30;3.0

i would like to enable these settings, so wondering which code to use, ive already tried swapping hide to show and =enable

any ideas? it appears here that its possible to downscale my screen as it worked in 5.1.1 but for some reason they have chosen to hide this option in Android M. Ive also already tested using several guides and edit the vm sizes etc through adb. but the EMUI 4.0 uses a strange shell so only system apps apply with these settings. Which in part is one of the reasons i want to enable this. the other is naturally the roughly 30% extra battery life which comes with downscaling screen. Any suggestions are welcome!

AndMau

Mar 25, 2016
thx for the apport, i have a question. if i change the phone´s model, i would can install a rom with this model???

Sickaxis79

Feb 14, 2014
Vlissingen
I can also confirm this is working on the moto x play. I never used addaptive brighness because the stock settings are much to bright.With this tweak it is better fine tuned and saves some battery. Thanks.

AG22

Oct 25, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I'm trying to edit the build.prop file using this guide.
The problem is: i can't check "Root Explorer", i don't know why. My phone is rooted, of course., but when i try to check this option, it show "that function can't be done in your phone". What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: PrathameshMore

PrathameshMore

Jun 6, 2016
Es explorer not working

I unlocked the boot loader, But still root explorer not working....
Please please please somebody help....I m using Nexus5x

plisskenn

Jan 24, 2011
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
- Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
- change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!

You should put the path in your post. /system/build.prop Also, you aren't navigating to the "System file" it is the system directory or System folder (if you want to talk like windows).

Jan 30, 2015
FYI, warning to anyone wanting to do this in Memu that runs 4.2.2, editing the build.prop android version and API versions will crash Memu and make all apps unstable except for some of your 3rd party system apps.

Pradil

Aug 13, 2016
More options to edit?

In build.prop what values(full) doesn't affect the system? As discussed, ro.build.version.release= ro.product.model= ro.product.brand=, we can change these anytime, what are the others?

kamal2mitra

May 7, 2012
Tried all of the properties; Works great

Changing all of the above mentioned properties didn't brick my mobile, earlier I tried to that on my own and was stuck with the bootloop. Now my question is can I change more of the properties to imitate completely different handset? If yes what are those which will not affect my mobile, I don't wantbto be stuck on the bootloop. My handset model Lenovo A6000 Plus.

Last edited:

xoxiloaxox

Jan 17, 2015
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it.id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en"

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

i ended up hear for other resent your post helped alot thanks. but i don't know what you could achieve by changing your build number. i would love a little explanation.
thanks

starkinternal

Sep 6, 2016
i bymistake changed my phone ro.version.sdk=17 to 20 please help .please fix this .my phone is mtk based android phone

chuaj6363

Aug 24, 2016
u just saved me from potentially bricking my phone
I was customising a ROM when i realised that ro.product.brand needs to be all in lowercase. I did it in uppercase

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Thank you so much! :) and yeah I made this mainly to help the people who are new to android

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    Very useful specifically for beginners like me! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Thanks dude, very noob friendly and useful :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    You've got some other warnings, might as well add a warning not to mess with anything else, as doing so can put you in a boot loop. This is intended for noobs, after all.