T999 UVDMD5 Firmware / Bootloader

Search This thread

mnasledov

Oct 23, 2010
San Bruno, CA
OK...MY BASEBAND SAYS....T999UVUEMJC (UNDER SETTINGS/ABOUT PHONE). Means I can't flash UVDMD5 firmware? Just want to make sure...not sure if baseband is the same thing as firmware. Also....how can we find out what bootloader we are on?

Easy. I don't have an S3 anymore so this is on my S4. If your S3 has any bootloader newer than MD5 such as MJC or that new N one, don't even dare flashing this. It will hard brick your phone. And if you have MD5 bootloader already, no point in flashing this.

Code:
[11:18:56] [misha@galileo:~]
$ adb shell
shell@jfltetmo:/ $ getprop ro.bootloader
M919UVUAMDL
shell@jfltetmo:/ $

qzmicro

Feb 1, 2013
Check device manager. If it says QHSUSB_DLOAD, its hard bricked and the debrick thread should help.
Hi Doc. I do indeed see the the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM10) on my device manager in windows. It detects the drivers for this just fine as I do not have an exclamation mark or question mark around it. I tried a first go at the SD but it did not work. Any suggestions?

-Tony

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Don't give up! Many people had to run through the debrick method several times before it actually worked.
If you cant get that method to work though, you'll need to send it somewhere for a jtag service. I heard about one only costing $28 the other day, so let me know if you decide to go that route and ill find out who it was for you.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
@mnasledov
Just fyi, packages like these for the kk firmware are not a good idea right now. People in Sprints forums were having problems with it, maybe even bricking. Just letting you know because we all know someone is going to "ask for it"!

qzmicro

Feb 1, 2013
Hi Doc,

After flashing 4.3 firmware and then flashing the bootloader/modem firmware I shouldn't have... I am ready to try a JTAG service. The unbrick method with the SD card isn't working. Even though I see the COM device in windows (it is a known device when I plug it in) it does not boot from the SD card after writing the image to it. I have tried with windows and Linux. I have tried with 4.3 and non 4.3 just for kicks. I have also tried battery pop'ing and re-seating the SD over and over. I tried with the USB cable plugged in and without. I am not sure what else to do.

Would you be able to recommend one to me? I was thinking of brickedmyphone.com.... but I do not know them from Jon Doe. Any recommendations as to who to use? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Tony

qzmicro

Feb 1, 2013
[RESOLVED] I needed to JTAG, unbrick SD fix did not work for me.

Mobiletechvideos.com is the only one I know about.

I just wanted to let everyone know that indeed JTAG was the only way to go for me. I contacted both mobiletechvideos and brickedmyphone and received an immediate response from the owner. I spoke t him decided to send him the phone on a gamble. It turns out not only did he resolve my problem with the JTAG, he was also extremely well at communicating with me when my phone got there, what happened with it and when it would be back. I never asked/required him to do so. I was pleased. It took me about 5 days to get my phone back (cheapest shipping and all) due to the 4th of July weekend. I'm sure it would have been quicker normally. I recommend them if anyone has any concerns about the service. CHEERS!

-Q

Thanks J...! :cowboy:

Willie68wr

Jan 14, 2013
I don't own a Galaxy S3 but I'm searching for a friend. He has the SGH-T999N Does anyone know if this will work for him?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

mnasledov

Oct 23, 2010
San Bruno, CA
I don't own a Galaxy S3 but I'm searching for a friend. He has the SGH-T999N Does anyone know if this will work for him?

No. Don't do it unless you want a brick. If it's anything that's not *exactly* T999 (i.e. if it has a N, V, L, your mother, a hamster, whatever) don't do it! (Unless you want an expensive paperweight)

Reactions: Willie68wr

Willie68wr

Jan 14, 2013
No. Don't do it unless you want a brick. If it's anything that's not *exactly* T999 (i.e. if it has a N, V, L, your mother, a hamster, whatever) don't do it! (Unless you want an expensive paperweight)

Thanks bro... I appreciate your response

Dimension2035

Sep 4, 2010
New York
Hello all! I have the new T999UVUENC2 baseband from 4.3 (screenshots below) and I am unable to flash any Cyanogenmod over 10.0, and the camera is not working in that build. Is it because of the baseband? I'm aware that I cannot flash the firmware on the first post. Are there any work arounds? I will continue to search in my efforts to resolve this problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-17-01-28-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-17-01-28-17.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 473

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
You do have the latest available version so do not flash anything but that when it comes to the firmware.
For the flashing problems, open a thread in q&a describing the issue and any errors you get. Thats beyond the scope of this thread and its better to keep it on topic.

halebopper

Feb 5, 2014
Camera issues - wondering if firmware is route to go

Hi Doc,

I have a T999 with baseband UVDMD5. In early September my camera stopped working. I've tried un-rooting and re-rooting the device, but it doesn't work in either state. I took it to a repair shop to have a new camera installed (thinking it was a hardware issue), but the new camera wouldn't work either after they installed it. I'm at a loss.

Have you heard of this before? Would re-installing the firmware you offer in this thread help? I appreciate your time and insight.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I would flash the MD5 firmware from my firmware thread. It's stickied at the top and linked in my signature. It's the full firmware and will get you back to full stock. The firmware in this thread is only the base firmware.
Use the root66 version if you want root. It'd probably be a good idea to factory reset after the flash, but backup all important data first, including your internal sd card.

The full firmware and root66 are for use with Odin btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

linsalata28

Dec 25, 2010
Rio Grande
My friend is still running 4.1.2 and I'm just wondering if I should flash this? Would it have any positive or negative effect ?

ndwgs

Oct 8, 2010
Everywhere
My friend is still running 4.1.2 and I'm just wondering if I should flash this? Would it have any positive or negative effect ?

Check Doc's post above, you should flash that. It should be pretty safe, it's a bootloader and modem updater. Also, if you're using a custom recovery such as Clockwork Mod/Philz Recovery/TWRP, after you flash this bootloader...
ALWAYS REBOOT BACK INTO THE RECOVERY. That way the bootloader will stick. Then you may "Reboot Phone" AFTER.

Reactions: linsalata28

linsalata28

Dec 25, 2010
Rio Grande
Check Doc's post above, you should flash that. It should be pretty safe, it's a bootloader and modem updater. Also, if you're using a custom recovery such as Clockwork Mod/Philz Recovery/TWRP, after you flash this bootloader...
ALWAYS REBOOT BACK INTO THE RECOVERY. That way the bootloader will stick. Then you may "Reboot Phone" AFTER.

Thanks I'll give it a try. I flashed a liquid Smooth lollipop ROM with out any issues though.

Reactions: ndwgs

tnt8902

Sep 1, 2009
Talladega ,Al
Question?

I'm on Cm10.2.1 with MJC, Should I still flash MD5 so I would up to date? In OP it says don't flash if you are on MJC, so I'm a bit confused here. Thanks.

ndwgs

Oct 8, 2010
Everywhere
I'm on Cm10.2.1 with MJC, Should I still flash MD5 so I would up to date? In OP it says don't flash if you are on MJC, so I'm a bit confused here. Thanks.

MJC is up to date.

What "manaslev" meant is if you have the very latest, which is NC2, you will hard brick if you flash back to MJC or MD5 or LOWER letter (note the 2nd letter, M "D" 5 is a lower letter than M "J" C in relation to A is the lowest and Z is the highest).

Recommend to stay MJC or, if you plan of not switching back down to old bootloaders, go to NC2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED 2013/11/21: Added more warnings.

This is for US SGH-T999 devices ONLY. If there is ANY letter after your model such as 'L' or 'V' DO NOT FLASH THIS OR YOU WILL DEFINITELY BRICK YOUR PHONE! For SGH-T999V VLDLD1 firmware, please see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41701398

DO NOT flash this if you are running latest 4.3 (*MJC) firmware. It WILL brick your device. Currently there is NO way to downgrade from MJC firmware without a brick due to the Knox security stuff added to that firmware release.

Currently I don't have a SGH-T999L firmware update script, sorry. If someone would like to work with me on guinea pigging it and has heimdall installed, PM me and we'll get it done in no time.

This is the latest firmware update for US T-Mobile (SGH-T999) that flashes the UVDMD5 radio and bootloader with a convenient update.zip. Flashing it on anything other than the US SGH-T999 is strongly not advisable. It will likely brick your phone. It CANNOT be used on the Canadian T999V variant.

This script flashes all of the firmware that comes with the UVDMD5 OTA -- this upgrades the firmware as if you had just flashed the whole package through Odin, but without actually touching system, recovery, kernel, etc. There are two versions of the script -- one just does the bootloader+firmware, the other does bootloader+firmware+modem.

What are these firmware files?
    • rpm.mbn - Resources and Power Manager
    • sbl2.mbn - Part of Secondary Bootloader
    • sbl3.mbn - Part of Secondary Bootloader
    • aboot.mbn - AP Bootloader
    • tz.mbn - Trust Zone
    • NON-HLOS.bin - Modem / Radio

Why do I want this?
    If your phone has old enough firmware, newer CM10.1 builds will no longer install on it. It is unknown if updating to UVDMD5 from UVDLJC, for example, has any noticeable positive effects. No known negative effects have been reported and the Odin method ends up upgrading all this stuff anyway.

Note that you can flash the above files via heimdall but this updater below is handy as you don't need heimdall, download mode, etc. All you really have to do is flash it in recovery.

Flashable UVDMD5 Bootloader / Firmware / Modem update.zip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173554095/T999 Devel/T999_UVDMD5_firmware_v4.zip (md5: d040ea4193234cbe9a36f95ffa780086)
    Above flashable update without modem: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173554095/T999 Devel/T999_UVDMD5_noradio_v4.zip (md5: 4c4aa065ee7c86dccea92ec7856a7af4)
    OLDER UVDLJC Firmware update.zip script (w/modem) -- only if you specifically need it for some reason.: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173554095/T999 Devel/T999UVDLJC_firmware.zip (md5: 537b69ec54ce6a3580a9c56ca379e72c)

Instructions:
    (1) Put this .zip file on the root of your sdcard.
    (2) Reboot to recovery
    (3) Choose .zip file from sdcard and select this file and flash it.
    (4) Reboot and you're done. I didn't find any wiping of any kind necessary.

NOTE: If you plan to flash anything else, please at least reboot recovery or it won't pick up the bootloader change.

Changes:
    v1: Initial release. Modified someone's UVDLJC firmware update.zip script to update to UVDMD5.
    v2: Removed certs from a previous update.zip that could've been causing signature verification errors with some recoveries.
    v3: Updated Edify script courtesy of @Aerowinder
    v4: Corrected a derp in package_extract_dir() (my fault) that prevented v3 from working at all. I've since tested v4 personally and verified it.

Many thanks to whomever put together the original update.zip and to Khaytsus and invisiblek for pointing me in the right direction. Also many thanks to all who've tested it and provided feedback. There is no greater enjoyment than in helping people.

I've also hacked together a firmware backup script that works for both T999 and T999V: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41548550

DISCLAIMER: I do not take any credit for this stuff, I just put it together. I am not liable for your device if you break it, etc etc. READ THE WARNINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING.
    @mnasledov You can reflash CM after the firmware upgrade. I did it, working fine.

However, I strongly advise against making a new firmware package at this time due to issues we are having with downgrading back to MD5. It looks like MJC might be a one way upgrade.
    Sorry! Too much distractions! I meant to say My bootloader is NOW on the latest. Lol. Yeah. I'm on the latest and I still get the error.

UPDATE: Just rebooted and flashed the rom in recovery again (TWRP 2.5.0.0) and it worked!!! Thanks to the OP for sharing this sweet little flashable bootloader.

Whew -- yeah, rebooting is a must after firmware upgrade. I'm going to update the main thread. I also wrote a firmware backup script.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I've been in the FOSS community for years (though inactive as of late) and have been using Android and doing little hacks here and there for years, but it's great to finally find some time to give back.
    If he still had LH2 bootloader, then its highly likely everything else was also from build LH2.
    The rest may or may not have any impact on battery, but we know so little about some of it that it wouldnt surprise me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
    Um, bootloaders have nothing to do work battery life. :what: The radio it flashes has minimal effect. Most likely restarting your phone is what helped.

To settle this once and for all... I wasn't sure about better battery life with new bootloader either, but please see the updated OP with details of what is flashed.

One of the files flashed is rpm.bin which stands for Resource and Power Management.

So, it is possible that this improves battery life. I've been thinking I've had better battery life lately and wasn't sure if it was due to some recent CM kernel improvements or some other tweaks I had done recently to my system. Prior to upgrading from the original bootloader / firmware (was already running UVDMD5 radio ), I was using LeanKernel on top of CM10.1 nightlies to make battery life more reasonable.

So, while bootloaders are unlikely to have effect on battery life, this is a more holistic "firmware update" and does update the firmware for the Resources & Power Management hardware.