No registration required

[APP][2010/07/02]AppGrouper, a simple catagorised app launcher

OP MacDegger

2nd July 2010, 05:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 28

169 posts
Hi!

I'm a longtime lurker, ever since I got my Touch HD when it first came out and I NEEDED to have an english rom instead of a dutch one. Thanks to this place, my phone runs exactly how I want it to (most of the time :P).

Except for a decent app launcher. I HATE the win6/6.1 scrollist ones, allthough the startmenu after that sucked a little less. I liked the yotacenter launcher, but in the end I just ran out of space and had to hit the "all apps" button too often and scroll through a huge list.

So I wrote my own in c# under .net 3.5.

And, seeing as I got all my tweaks and fixes from you guys, I thought I should give something back; in essence a quick and dirty app launcher which does exactly what I want: organise the programs I use the most.

It's a catagory per page, has menu, contextmenu and top-scroll-bar driven UI and you can add your own background:

I wrote it to be as device independant as I knew how, but I've really only tested it on my Touch HD1, so I'm really curious as to how it runs "in the wild" (or even on any other HD :P). To save some effort, I've just packaged the .exe, which should run from any location. If it doesn't, \Program Files\AppGrouper\ should do it.
It should come with a default background and an icon...for this initial release [call it a beta] I didn't create a cab, so you'll have to copy/edit an existing .lnk file to get the program to show up in the windows\startmenu\ .lnk files so you can use a launcher to launch my launcher (yeah, I get the irony :P), or just start the app from the exe.

Anyway, as I said this is the first application I'm releasing to the public, so please give me some feedback I have no idea what "unknown unknowns" this app'll run into on different machines than my emulator and my own Touch HD. The only deletion the program can do is to a specifically named .xml file it generates itself, so it should be safe enough

PS: as I was entering the tags to this post, I realised that this type of software could have been made and released many times: I've only used MS's launcher and the yotacenter one, so any ideas and/or other similarities to other launchers is coincidence and a case of simultanious devellopment (or in my case, retarded devellopment :P). Again, any feedback is appreciated, from bugs to implementation to "you've totally ripped off x!". 'Cause I didn't, but I'd like to know about x

Anyway, I hope someone can use this!
Attached Files
File Type: zip AppGrouper_v1001.zip - [Click for QR Code] (63.3 KB, 834 views)
2nd July 2010, 06:14 AM   |  #2  
Flag Lat N03.05.589 Lon E101.37.388
Thanks Meter: 37

1,711 posts
More
Nice apps. The Title Folder box ought be longer to fit the text
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen01.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	353253  
4th July 2010, 11:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 28

169 posts
Hehe

Ok, so I guess I'll have to set up an auto resize routine for the textsize and the textbox ... check back in a day or two

BTW, what device did you use this on? I'm curious to know if the program works correctly on devices other than touch hd's, too.
5th July 2010, 03:59 AM   |  #4  
Flag Lat N03.05.589 Lon E101.37.388
Thanks Meter: 37

1,711 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDegger

Hehe

Ok, so I guess I'll have to set up an auto resize routine for the textsize and the textbox ... check back in a day or two

BTW, what device did you use this on? I'm curious to know if the program works correctly on devices other than touch hd's, too.

I use on Topaz, see my sig
Thanks
5th July 2010, 06:23 AM   |  #5  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,045

22,289 posts
Donate to Me
Thanks for sharing!
19th July 2010, 10:35 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

312 posts
I think mortbutton can do better than this
Ok app. thanks for sharing
By default can you pick up start menu and folder under it as group?
Else I think mortbutton can do far better job than your program. + .netcf 3.5 requirment
21st July 2010, 03:46 PM   |  #7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

88 posts
More
Thanks for sharing it. Few things I noticed

while trying to add an to a folder a drop down menu reveal 3 options - the first one is to add an app, what is the second one? it is blank on my tp2?

after running an app it stays in memory. is this how you designed it? i would prefer if it closed after running an app

finally, can you list here launchers that you came across that are standalone apps, meaning they do not sit in memory or eat CPU. i am looking for something like that with folders/tabs like yours and self-close after use.
21st July 2010, 04:16 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Donate to Me
thanks for sharing. i have one single question. i have installed it on my herald, but i cannot add more then one app to a group. am i missing something?
22nd July 2010, 09:50 PM   |  #9  
Flag Arnhem
Thanks Meter: 42

373 posts
More
Smile Sweet launcher! Thank U
I like your application!

As being an anti manila user Until now I was addicted to Program Finder plugin (attached) running on the Today Screen. Unfortunately the Today Screen does not have the SIP toggle in the bottom bar plus sometimes the Today Screen needs a refresh, due to Program Finder being an very old program; its messing up the Today Screen.

Therefore I searched the whole internet and finally after searching for 1 year I found [attachment]ToggleInputPanel.exe[attachment]. I'm executing programs via icons by running Easy Today Launcher.

Your application is a welcome alternative, thanx again! o/~
Attached Files
File Type: zip FinderPrograms.zip - [Click for QR Code] (166.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: zip refreshtoday.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.0 KB, 47 views)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
appgrouper, application, application launcher, launcher
Previous Thread Next Thread