[APP] Msm7kCpuSpeed - Overclock Raphael/Diamond/Topaz/Rhodium/Blackstone/Whitestone

Search This thread

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
After LeoCpuSpeed to overclock the HD2, I've been working on overclocking the MSM7k SoC on the Raphael, with success. The same processor is present on the Diamond, Rhodium and the Topaz, so it should work on all of these devices. I've been able to underclock to 57MHz and overclock up to 710MHz, using small 19.2MHz steps. It can clock even further, but it depends on the quality of the processor in your device where the limit for you lies.

Supported devices
- Raphael
- Diamond
- Rhodium (check out this post for a nice guide and this app by oruam57 to prevent SOD)
- Topaz
- Blackstone
- Whitestone
- More?

Features
- The CPU speed is calculated from the actual clock registers, not via some dll or shady method.
- CPU speed is updated every 250ms (I haven't seen it auto-scale to other frequencies yet, but kept this feature from LeoCpuSpeed).
- A small dot blinks on each update so that you can see if your device hangs or not.
- Under- or overclock by moving the slider
- Automatically apply setting at boot

- While waiting for version 3 of this app, oruam57 made a little app that automatically scales down when the screen is off and overclocks again when exiting standby, effectively preventing SOD.

Notes on overclocking
1) AT YOUR OWN RISK
2) Only works while connected to AC power (depending on device)
3) The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup. So: after you overclock and want to remove your USB cable, set it to 604MHz first! You'll see it go back to the default 528MHz a second after you remove the cable. That's something the device does, not my app.
4) Overclocking while on battery gives insta-hang (for me). It seems this depends on the device.
5) Use "Apply at boot" wisely! If you use a setting that is unstable, your device may not boot up anymore! You'd need a hard-reset (factory settings).

When using TCPMP to benchmark the overclock, be aware that this tool overclocks the CPU, not the GPU.

Battery
I have not done any tests regarding battery life. The voltage to the processor is the same as when it is on 528MHz. It seems it cannot be increased. However, more speed will result in more heat, which means energy from your battery. :)
(And before you ask, I haven't performed any temperature tests either).

Screenshots
v1_ss1.png
v1_ss2.png

Versions
v2
- Enabled apply at boot option (Choose wisely, if your device hangs on boot, you'll need a hard reset)
- Fix app crash (trackbar exception) when going into standby
- Increased max freq to 902.4MHz for those fortunate enough
- SoD/hang on battery/etc not fixed yet

v1
- Initial release

Known issues
Q: My device hangs when unplugging from AC power
A: Read the overclock notes.

Q: When on battery and I press the "604MHz" button, it shows 604MHz for a brief second, and then goes back to "528MHz".
A: Some driver, module, or whatever in Windows Mobile enforces CPU speed every second, overriding the overclock. This is a known issue.

Q: My device hangs after standby (Sleep Of Death)
A: This is a known problem. Until fixed, only solution is to clock to "604" (the special frequency) before putting your phone away.

Q: Msm7kCpuSpeed crashes. When it does, and I click "details", it says something about System.Windows.Forms.Trackbar.set_Value.
A: This is a known problem. The app calculates frequency every 250ms. When the device goes into standby, there's a small window where the CPU is set to 19.2MHz, but my app isn't put to sleep by Windows Mobile yet. When in this small window, it calculates the frequency and updates the app, it crashes. This is because the lowest frequency in my app is 57.6MHz, and it can't find 19.2MHz (or 38MHz). Fixed in v2.

Credits
Thanks to phhusson and bzo for their overclock in the Linux kernel for MSM7k devices, where I could lend some code from.
And thanks to BASSMANBOB for letting me know such a tool is in demand.

Download
v2 HERE
v1 HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: sandysend

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi NetRipper,

i hope that's real ;). I have installed the app without any issue on my phone (signature).

After starting the app the 528 MHz was shown.
A max from 787 MHz was possible to set.

>>The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup

I was able to set the 787 MHz and disconnect the AC power and no hangup.
I have to test now the BatterLifeTime. But this is at the moment not so important.

bennib.

Nov 17, 2006
Hamburg
Working on Blackstone

Hi NetRipper,

I can confirm your tool works on the Touch HD (Blackstone). Made a short benchmark using SKTools Integer Test:

Result:
Default 528Mhz: ~295
710Mhz: ~425

It really boosts CPU performance! Any chance to get this working in Battery Mode? As you wrote the device crashes when trying to set a higher Value in Battery Mode.

Thank you very much!

boardsportsrule

Nov 5, 2009
Works for me, both plugged in and unplugged.

@ stock speed interger test gives about 310,

@710 gives about 440,

tested unplugged @710 ~440,

tested unplugged, program exited @710 ~440.

THANKS!

ps. haven't tested lock screen.

ROM is JACKOS S2 full version with recommended radio

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Hi NetRipper,

I can confirm your tool works on the Touch HD (Blackstone). Made a short benchmark using SKTools Integer Test:

Result:
Default 528Mhz: ~295
710Mhz: ~425

It really boosts CPU performance! Any chance to get this working in Battery Mode? As you wrote the device crashes when trying to set a higher Value in Battery Mode.

Thank you very much!
Thanks for letting me know it works on blackstone. Added that to the list.

I'm hoping I can get it to work in battery mode, but I still need to find the cause. I have the same issue on Leo also still, same cause probably. Will probably involve more disassembling and runtime patching to get this to work :s it's a pain.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Awesome... 750Mhz = 465 :)
On battery working fine but I started in on AC though.

PS, unfortunately it is not quite stable at that speed but it looks cool anyway lol

Last edited:

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Works on battery mode on Sprint Touch Pro 2. Max overclock of 768 without hangup. Exactly as when running Android!

Thank you for this wonderful app!
How are you testing stability...do you run it then exit and send the phone to sleep or standby for a few minutes?
Mine can go to standby (manually) but if I leave it there a few minutes then it wont come back.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Sure you may cook it into your rom.

The reason "auto-apply at startup" is not enabled, is because it doesn't work on battery yet. Even for the guys where the phone doesn't hang, the overclock will be undone when on battery.

Or does the overclock stay active for some people on battery? I'd think it at least goes back to 528MHz.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
How are you testing stability...do you run it then exit and send the phone to sleep or standby for a few minutes?
Mine can go to standby (manually) but if I leave it there a few minutes then it wont come back.
That might be the same issue as when on battery. When it comes out of standby, it will try to set the clock speed again, causing the device to lock up. If you go to standby and go out of it right away, the device doesn't actually go into full-standby yet (it takes at least a few seconds before it does).

You can test stability by using SPB benchmark or something similar that does lots of calculations. I.e. I can clock it at 750MHz, but when I run a benchmark tool, it will hang. At 710MHz I'm stable.

6700Freak

Aug 10, 2007
Ankeny
That might be the same issue as when on battery. When it comes out of standby, it will try to set the clock speed again, causing the device to lock up. If you go to standby and go out of it right away, the device doesn't actually go into full-standby yet (it takes at least a few seconds before it does).

You can test stability by using SPB benchmark or something similar that does lots of calculations. I.e. I can clock it at 750MHz, but when I run a benchmark tool, it will hang. At 710MHz I'm stable.

I get the very same results on Rhodium (TP2) Verizon with MR2 rom in Battery mode.

If I do the quick standby (in and out) it works.

Letting the device go to sleep on its own locks the device and you have to do a battery pull to get it back.

Nice to see it come this far.

Epsilion

I set it to 710MHz and worked fine, unplugged the power cable and it stayed at 710MHz, but came back to check it about an hour later and it reverted to 528MHz as NetRipper said.

This is some great work NetRipper, hopefully you can figure out what in WinMo is reseting it on battery power.

Thanks again NetRipper.

6700Freak

Aug 10, 2007
Ankeny
I set it to 710MHz and worked fine, unplugged the power cable and it stayed at 710MHz, but came back to check it about an hour later and it reverted to 528MHz as NetRipper said.

This is some great work NetRipper, hopefully you can figure out what in WinMo is reseting it on battery power.

Thanks again NetRipper.

Did the device go to standby at all?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Excellent App!

Reporting with a Tilt 2 and i put it to 787mhz(because im crazy like that) and i can confirm it doesnt hang, even when i unplugged it, it doesnt hang at all :eek: i even turn the phone on stand by for a couple of seconds and its still sits at 787, now if i leave it on standby for a minute i get this "Unexpected Error"

Reporting in with a HTC Fuze, set it on 768 and it hangs LOL, but anything lower than 768 it runs stable when plugged in, but if i unplug it, it crashes!

but im glad to see the progress of this app, hopefully heat issue and the app running on permanent battery power will be almost done because this is an awesome app, im planning to review this app on youtube, if you dont mind! thanks again! :D
    After LeoCpuSpeed to overclock the HD2, I've been working on overclocking the MSM7k SoC on the Raphael, with success. The same processor is present on the Diamond, Rhodium and the Topaz, so it should work on all of these devices. I've been able to underclock to 57MHz and overclock up to 710MHz, using small 19.2MHz steps. It can clock even further, but it depends on the quality of the processor in your device where the limit for you lies.

Supported devices
    - Raphael
    - Diamond
    - Rhodium (check out this post for a nice guide and this app by oruam57 to prevent SOD)
    - Topaz
    - Blackstone
    - Whitestone
    - More?

Features
    - The CPU speed is calculated from the actual clock registers, not via some dll or shady method.
    - CPU speed is updated every 250ms (I haven't seen it auto-scale to other frequencies yet, but kept this feature from LeoCpuSpeed).
    - A small dot blinks on each update so that you can see if your device hangs or not.
    - Under- or overclock by moving the slider
    - Automatically apply setting at boot

- While waiting for version 3 of this app, oruam57 made a little app that automatically scales down when the screen is off and overclocks again when exiting standby, effectively preventing SOD.

Notes on overclocking
    1) AT YOUR OWN RISK
    2) Only works while connected to AC power (depending on device)
    3) The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup. So: after you overclock and want to remove your USB cable, set it to 604MHz first! You'll see it go back to the default 528MHz a second after you remove the cable. That's something the device does, not my app.
    4) Overclocking while on battery gives insta-hang (for me). It seems this depends on the device.
    5) Use "Apply at boot" wisely! If you use a setting that is unstable, your device may not boot up anymore! You'd need a hard-reset (factory settings).

When using TCPMP to benchmark the overclock, be aware that this tool overclocks the CPU, not the GPU.

Battery
    I have not done any tests regarding battery life. The voltage to the processor is the same as when it is on 528MHz. It seems it cannot be increased. However, more speed will result in more heat, which means energy from your battery. :)
    (And before you ask, I haven't performed any temperature tests either).

Screenshots
    v1_ss1.png
    v1_ss2.png

Versions
    v2
    - Enabled apply at boot option (Choose wisely, if your device hangs on boot, you'll need a hard reset)
    - Fix app crash (trackbar exception) when going into standby
    - Increased max freq to 902.4MHz for those fortunate enough
    - SoD/hang on battery/etc not fixed yet

v1
    - Initial release

Known issues
    Q: My device hangs when unplugging from AC power
    A: Read the overclock notes.

Q: When on battery and I press the "604MHz" button, it shows 604MHz for a brief second, and then goes back to "528MHz".
    A: Some driver, module, or whatever in Windows Mobile enforces CPU speed every second, overriding the overclock. This is a known issue.

Q: My device hangs after standby (Sleep Of Death)
    A: This is a known problem. Until fixed, only solution is to clock to "604" (the special frequency) before putting your phone away.

Q: Msm7kCpuSpeed crashes. When it does, and I click "details", it says something about System.Windows.Forms.Trackbar.set_Value.
    A: This is a known problem. The app calculates frequency every 250ms. When the device goes into standby, there's a small window where the CPU is set to 19.2MHz, but my app isn't put to sleep by Windows Mobile yet. When in this small window, it calculates the frequency and updates the app, it crashes. This is because the lowest frequency in my app is 57.6MHz, and it can't find 19.2MHz (or 38MHz). Fixed in v2.

Credits
    Thanks to phhusson and bzo for their overclock in the Linux kernel for MSM7k devices, where I could lend some code from.
    And thanks to BASSMANBOB for letting me know such a tool is in demand.

Download
    v2 HERE
    v1 HERE
    I have been able to go through the entire weekend without a single SOD! The device auto clocks when I unlock and underclocks when I hit the power button. I am a happy camper!

Which scripts are you using ? Is there anyway for someone to cab the scripts up ? I'm a bit of a noob and don't want to screw anything up ( I know chickens@#t ) .
    I just wrote some logic at the beginning of the GUI script to copy it over if it isn't there, but I guess I'll go ahead and CAB the DLL in. It will run fine without Netripper's CAB, it's just a standalone library that oruam is dynamically linking to...I guess it kind of makes sense for it to be bundled since if the DLL changes then oruams app may need edits too, so providing a version of the DLL that is known to work seems to be a good option.

Thanks for the input. :)
    Superb Need Advice

Hello guys I need some advice what i can do:)

1st this Tools is awesome i Overclock my Blackstone at may diferent speeds and i enjoy Level 37 witch is 710.4 Mhz on this Level i see alot of improvements the device run super fast and smooth and i dont have any problem with the device NO freeze or anything im making calls without problem But randomly sometimes i see that the device TURN OFF by itself or Freeze... and this problem is randomly because sometimes i use 7 days without a Problem and sometime just freeze so ths heppand not only on level 37 this heppand on all levels.. under 37 witch mean is not due to alot overclocking etc..
    I think is related to SetCPUspeed somehow..

So what i can do to get work this even better?!

I think because i install SetCPUspeed to my SD Card can cause the problem because the scrip is running from my SD so in some cases if my SD is too slow or anything this can cause crash problem. I think will be better if all is instaled on the Phone Memory but im not very sure because if crash again and im not able to Start it i just cant remove my SD and to fix the problem because once when this is installed on the Main Memory just will need Hard Reset so my question is do anyone can advice me something!!!

Here is what i install and what settings i Do

1st i Install Msm7kCpuSpeed_v2 to Device Memory
    2nd Installing SetCpuSpeed-1.0d to my SD card
    After this Soft reset the device and remove the SD card
    After the the Device is loaded im going to my regs and i set this

BootTime = 200000
    ChekTime = 20
    PerformanceLevel = 37
    ScreenOffPerformanceLevel = 27
    SettlingTime = 10

And puting back my SD andSoft Reset

After the Soft Reset im waiting carefull the whole device to Load Manila and all other stufs and i put it on sleep for over 30 seconds then i wake it up and turn WiFi ON and do not touch it for some time then for example after a minute when the device is already Overclocked and fully loaded i Turn Off the Wifi and thats it...

Note this steps with the Wi FI i read somehwere is better to do it like this. befor i do the Overclock without the WiFi trick andhave the same result..

My Question is can i improve something the device to not turn off by itself when he want... because its really random problem not all the time witch meanthe Device CAN RUN REALLY at Level 37 with no problem but sometimes something causing problems!

Thans in advance