Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,864 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Antenna" issue is truly software related

Tip us?

heygrl
Old
(Last edited by heygrl; 17th July 2010 at 02:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default "Antenna" issue is truly software related

Okay, I've had my phone for a day or two and right off the bat I noticed that even though the phone had no bars of coverage, I actually had coverage and a good enough signal to boot.

I then found myself on XDA reading up on how to lock 3G since the old Nexus One/myTouch etc. trick doesn't work on the Vibrant.
I then came across someones post that leads us to a hidden menu

This menu has a wealth of information that, most of it I can decipher BUT I did find this lovely menu that lead me to the Vibrant's TRUE -dBm reading. The bars are WRONG, the Phone Information Testing menu is WRONG, and the phone has reception that is on par with the Motorola CLIQ I replaced it with. After -103 or so dBm, this shows as NO coverage (0 bars).

Here are the steps for those of us unfamiliar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from i9000 FAQ
To get to the DEBUG and Phone status information -

*#*#197328640#*#*
Then select DEBUG screen
Then select BASIC INFORMATION
and the RSSI readout shows true -dBm
I suspected this yesterday but I wanted to be sure it wasn't a placebo effect kicking in.. explains everything really. We don't have -0dBm and this is proof.

During an active call, hit +Add call and punch in this number to bring up the menu. Store it as a contact also

(*#*#197328640#*#, add a contact like Field Test Mode, then go back and add the *, go back to the dialer and punch in *#* and it should bring this up.. select and you're on your way)
I want to note that the G1 doesn't "drop" 3G as much because the antenna is at the top (you'll see it when you take off the battery cover) so it has an easier time grabbing a signal because your hand isn't attenuating the signal. Do the same for the Vibrant or any other phone and you'll see your bars jump.

Final word: Good reception. Better than Samsung's of the past. I noticed that when I went to a few key locations and maintained a signal where my previous Samsung's fell off the cellular grid.
-Samsung Galaxy S III Ceramic/Marble White on T-Mobile
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant
-Samsung Captivate on T-Mobile

DKYang
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I bet it'll be fixed when they release 2.2 if they don't do it immediately, hopefully anyways.

zoid_99
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for the info! I think you are right that the software isn't getting the real readings.

temperbad
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1
Definetly software I have speeds also when my bars drop if they even do when I'm in a poor signal area....... I love this phone.....

heygrl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
-100 under the RSSI readout is where the bars go to zero it seems. I had to get it just right though. Normally have 1 or 2 bars with the Vibrant.

-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant

Jon C
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm experiencing issues with the 3G signal dropping if I even touch the phone. If I switch to EDGE-only, I find it's impossible for me to lose any bars. Same on my 2G iPhone (no signal loss on 2G).

Of course, this begs the question of how the 'bars' are measured. But it would appear as if the 3G reception is not stellar on the Vibrant. When I'm not touching the device, I can reach -91dBm. When the device is held, it immediately jumps to -111 and gives me a reading of zero bars.

temperbad
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
I'm experiencing issues with the 3G signal dropping if I even touch the phone. If I switch to EDGE-only, I find it's impossible for me to lose any bars. Same on my 2G iPhone (no signal loss on 2G).

Of course, this begs the question of how the 'bars' are measured. But it would appear as if the 3G reception is not stellar on the Vibrant. When I'm not touching the device, I can reach -91dBm. When the device is held, it immediately jumps to -111 and gives me a reading of zero bars.
For me its on par with the nexus one except the n1 would drop to edge much quicker.although the vibrant drops bars sometimes the speeds are the same and call quality sounds just fine.i think its just reading wrong like OP says... No issue for me.sometimes I can't even get one bar to drop.

Jon C
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Again, as with the N1, it's hard to tell if this is a carrier issue or a hardware issue. T-Mo's 3G network is by no means up-to-par with their 2G network. But in my area, 3G is marked as 'Best' on their maps. This makes sense, considering I live in T-Mo's headquarters coverage, with HSDPA+.

But even with all of this coverage, I am getting 0-2 bars on 3G, max. This bothers me.

heygrl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
Again, as with the N1, it's hard to tell if this is a carrier issue or a hardware issue. T-Mo's 3G network is by no means up-to-par with their 2G network. But in my area, 3G is marked as 'Best' on their maps. This makes sense, considering I live in T-Mo's headquarters coverage, with HSDPA+.

But even with all of this coverage, I am getting 0-2 bars on 3G, max. This bothers me.
It's not hard to tell at all, go under the service menu and check your signal strength.. the proof is right there. How can anyone be unsure when I took screenshots of my Vibrant, in an active call - showing no bars of coverage - -0dBm (no service) and then under the service menu it says I have -105 dBm of signal strength and It was usually much higher than that. I had to illustrate my point though. -111dBm under the Phone Info menu is like -98dBm under the Service Menu.
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant

Jon C
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I understand what you're saying, but, I'm getting "signal lost, retry?" pop-ups when holding the phone while 3G is on.

So it would seem it's not just a software misread of signal-to-bars?