Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

"Antenna" issue is truly software related

OP heygrl

17th July 2010, 02:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegassss
Thanks Meter: 42

1,959 posts
More
Okay, I've had my phone for a day or two and right off the bat I noticed that even though the phone had no bars of coverage, I actually had coverage and a good enough signal to boot.

I then found myself on XDA reading up on how to lock 3G since the old Nexus One/myTouch etc. trick doesn't work on the Vibrant.
I then came across someones post that leads us to a hidden menu

This menu has a wealth of information that, most of it I can decipher BUT I did find this lovely menu that lead me to the Vibrant's TRUE -dBm reading. The bars are WRONG, the Phone Information Testing menu is WRONG, and the phone has reception that is on par with the Motorola CLIQ I replaced it with. After -103 or so dBm, this shows as NO coverage (0 bars).

Here are the steps for those of us unfamiliar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from i9000 FAQ

To get to the DEBUG and Phone status information -

*#*#197328640#*#*
Then select DEBUG screen
Then select BASIC INFORMATION
and the RSSI readout shows true -dBm
I suspected this yesterday but I wanted to be sure it wasn't a placebo effect kicking in.. explains everything really. We don't have -0dBm and this is proof.

During an active call, hit +Add call and punch in this number to bring up the menu. Store it as a contact also

(*#*#197328640#*#, add a contact like Field Test Mode, then go back and add the *, go back to the dialer and punch in *#* and it should bring this up.. select and you're on your way)

I want to note that the G1 doesn't "drop" 3G as much because the antenna is at the top (you'll see it when you take off the battery cover) so it has an easier time grabbing a signal because your hand isn't attenuating the signal. Do the same for the Vibrant or any other phone and you'll see your bars jump.

Final word: Good reception. Better than Samsung's of the past. I noticed that when I went to a few key locations and maintained a signal where my previous Samsung's fell off the cellular grid.
Last edited by heygrl; 17th July 2010 at 03:01 AM.
17th July 2010, 02:59 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 54

885 posts
I bet it'll be fixed when they release 2.2 if they don't do it immediately, hopefully anyways.
17th July 2010, 03:00 AM   |  #3  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 10

238 posts
More
Thanks for the info! I think you are right that the software isn't getting the real readings.
17th July 2010, 07:05 AM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Flag portland
Thanks Meter: 1

673 posts
More
Definetly software I have speeds also when my bars drop if they even do when I'm in a poor signal area....... I love this phone.....
17th July 2010, 08:18 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegassss

1,959 posts
More
-100 under the RSSI readout is where the bars go to zero it seems. I had to get it just right though. Normally have 1 or 2 bars with the Vibrant.

17th July 2010, 05:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 6

322 posts
More
I'm experiencing issues with the 3G signal dropping if I even touch the phone. If I switch to EDGE-only, I find it's impossible for me to lose any bars. Same on my 2G iPhone (no signal loss on 2G).

Of course, this begs the question of how the 'bars' are measured. But it would appear as if the 3G reception is not stellar on the Vibrant. When I'm not touching the device, I can reach -91dBm. When the device is held, it immediately jumps to -111 and gives me a reading of zero bars.
17th July 2010, 05:43 PM   |  #7  
Account currently disabled
Flag portland
Thanks Meter: 1

673 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C

I'm experiencing issues with the 3G signal dropping if I even touch the phone. If I switch to EDGE-only, I find it's impossible for me to lose any bars. Same on my 2G iPhone (no signal loss on 2G).

Of course, this begs the question of how the 'bars' are measured. But it would appear as if the 3G reception is not stellar on the Vibrant. When I'm not touching the device, I can reach -91dBm. When the device is held, it immediately jumps to -111 and gives me a reading of zero bars.

For me its on par with the nexus one except the n1 would drop to edge much quicker.although the vibrant drops bars sometimes the speeds are the same and call quality sounds just fine.i think its just reading wrong like OP says... No issue for me.sometimes I can't even get one bar to drop.
17th July 2010, 06:14 PM   |  #8  
Flag Seattle

322 posts
More
Again, as with the N1, it's hard to tell if this is a carrier issue or a hardware issue. T-Mo's 3G network is by no means up-to-par with their 2G network. But in my area, 3G is marked as 'Best' on their maps. This makes sense, considering I live in T-Mo's headquarters coverage, with HSDPA+.

But even with all of this coverage, I am getting 0-2 bars on 3G, max. This bothers me.
17th July 2010, 06:19 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegassss

1,959 posts
More
Originally Posted by Jon C

Again, as with the N1, it's hard to tell if this is a carrier issue or a hardware issue. T-Mo's 3G network is by no means up-to-par with their 2G network. But in my area, 3G is marked as 'Best' on their maps. This makes sense, considering I live in T-Mo's headquarters coverage, with HSDPA+.

But even with all of this coverage, I am getting 0-2 bars on 3G, max. This bothers me.

It's not hard to tell at all, go under the service menu and check your signal strength.. the proof is right there. How can anyone be unsure when I took screenshots of my Vibrant, in an active call - showing no bars of coverage - -0dBm (no service) and then under the service menu it says I have -105 dBm of signal strength and It was usually much higher than that. I had to illustrate my point though. -111dBm under the Phone Info menu is like -98dBm under the Service Menu.
17th July 2010, 06:26 PM   |  #10  
Flag Seattle

322 posts
More
I understand what you're saying, but, I'm getting "signal lost, retry?" pop-ups when holding the phone while 3G is on.

So it would seem it's not just a software misread of signal-to-bars?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread