Gps fix 101

Search This thread

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
EDIT: 9/21/10

NEW FIX OUT!!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782242

Like many of you folks, i've been having lots problems with the GPS. And like many of you, I also am upgrading from the G1 so I know how a good GPS signal is suppose to be like. In many instances, the GS would not sync with the GPS when under the same circumstances, the G1 had no problem.

Inside my home it will rarely connect. When testing with the GPS TEST, the damn thing would not even connect to a satellite.

AFTER FIX - Everything connects REALLY REALLY FAST and ACCURATE

PS - These are not my own but I found them online by username e-wrecked

STEPS

1 - Disable "Use Wireless Networks" - Settings / Location & Security

2 - Dial *#*#1472365#*#*

3 - Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to MS Based

4 - Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 [ Do not use www. in front of supl]

5 - REBOOT

6 - Turn back on the "User Wireless Networks"

7 - Praise God

----------------------------------------------------------------
PS - If you need to get back to default here are the specs

DEFAULT - OPERATION MODE - Standalone
Server - www.spirent-lcs.com
Port - 7275

THERE IS A NEW FIX OUT!!! - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782242

Last edited:

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
all of you who insist that this is a hardware problem, get out of here with that :)

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland
Like many of you folks, i've been having lots problems with the GPS. And like many of you, I also am upgrading from the G1 so I know how a good GPS signal is suppose to be like. In many instances, the GS would not sync with the GPS when within the same circumstances, the G1 had no problem.

Inside my home, I now pretty much don't get any good GPS on my GS. Rarely if I patiently wait, it will connect. When testing with the GPS TEST, the damn thing would not even connect a satellite.

AFTER FIX - Everything connects REALLY REALLY FAST and ACCURATE

PS - These are not my own but I found them online by username e-wrecked

STEPS

1 - Disable "Use Wireless Networks" - Settings / Location & Security

2 - Dial *#*#1472365#*#*

3 - Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to MS Based

4 - Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276

5 - REBOOT

6 - Turn back on the "User Wireless Networks"

7 - PRAISE GOD

not www.supl.google.com right? just supl.google.com ?

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland

thank you much...

edit: Sweet, Got a lock in like 1 min. outside around a bunch of buildings on a really cloudy day.... Not sure if this fixes it completely but It works great for me so far. Ill do more testing obviously but nice job op...

Xda rocks. People all help.. Loving it

edit2: Ok I shut gps and my location off. Then turned on my location. Went to google maps typed in tmobile, then went navigate too, it opened up my gps panel, I turned gps on, hit back to go back to the navigation, it now locks in about 5 seconds on a major cloudy day around buildings got a lock, last night I couldnt get one in minuetes.. Very awesome... Great job again op

Last edited:

splat matt

May 20, 2007
Columbus, OH
I was starting to have buyer's remorse because I use my phone for navigation daily. About 30 min ago my internal dialouge was: "Sh!t, I sold my iphone for this and the gps barely works!"

I decided to check if xda-dev had a fix posted and hot damn there it was my gps works awesome! Albeit I was very sceptical and I bit a couple of nails since the first fix was slow (maybe cold with new settings), but every subsequent fix has been lightning quick!

Thank-you very much for posting the fix!

By the way the Vibrant is miles ahead better than the iphone. If this problem occurred on the iphone I would have waited 3 weeks before Apple would stop denying there was a problem and then tell me to buy and external gps for it to work properly - just poking fun at apple.

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
Since applying the fix, my phone is taking noticeably longer to boot to a useable state. Previously, the phone would boot into the OS and be snappy within seconds. Now, it's taking me ~1min for it to scan the SD card, and is extremely 'choppy' (low FPS) until this is complete. If I happen to accidentally bring up the keyboard during that 'choppy' period, it will remain on the screen until I do a hard reboot.

Anybody else experiencing something weird like that?

schnem

Mar 18, 2010
Good so far i even got locked on in the house in a room with no windows in like 5 seconds. First boot up after entering fix was real slow and had some quirks but now running normal. anybody else?

Thanks OP

schnem

Mar 18, 2010
Since applying the fix, my phone is taking noticeably longer to boot to a useable state. Previously, the phone would boot into the OS and be snappy within seconds. Now, it's taking me ~1min for it to scan the SD card, and is extremely 'choppy' (low FPS) until this is complete. If I happen to accidentally bring up the keyboard during that 'choppy' period, it will remain on the screen until I do a hard reboot.

I just saw your post after submitting mine

+1 for the choppy boot

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland

no, nothing noticably different for me. Seems to boot normal. Even so Id rather wait one more minute on boot than not have gps.... I know your not complaining and it is valid im just saying. Even if this did have that effect im ok with it.