NOOBZ: The EASY guide to rooting your Aria and Installing Attn1's ROM (Win XP/Vista)

Search This thread

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
Like some of you, i'm an absolute newbie to Android. But after a week of reading and scrolling through many webpages and forums. i finally got the nerve to Root my Aria and install Attn1's ROM because i was tired of the auto-start of ATT's bloatware and random restarting of those apps that i had to constantly check and kill with Advanced Task Killer (ATK..in the Market).
and yes i've actually seen a slight increase in my batter life after. (on at 6am..average txting, heavy web surfing, and minimal Market browsing...69% by 2pm)

so here's the step by step guide without having to go through the many pages of the forums...

** To Root your Aria and Clockwork Mod

1. go to http://unrevoked.com, choose your Aria phone, and click the download file. save and extract into a easy to remember directory on your computer.

2. go to http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install and follow the instructions to install HBOOT

3. go to HTC's website and download and install HTC Sync. Yes it's been said it messes up the process. slightly not true. you're only gonna install it so that the proper ADB drivers are installed that Unrevoked Rooting tool needs to access your phone. as soon as it installs...uninstall it. it will leave the proper ADB required drivers behind. (it took me hours and finally wading through 6 pages worth of forum posts to find this out..so i'm saving you the trouble)

4. now on your phone..click Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Charge Only

5. go back to Settings > Applications > Development > and check USB Debugging

6. now start UnRevoked (c:\directory you chose\reflash.exe)

7. gray wide window with UnRevoked's logo and a "waiting for device" type message under it. now plug in your Aria via USB to the computer. sit back and watch the magic. 5mins (or less) later and you will have a Rooted phone with Clockwork mod.

**now that your Aria is rooted you can install Attn1's ATT bloatware free Rom.

1. go to Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Disk Drive

2. go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=708434 and decide which beta version you want to use. I chose B003 since it's the one folks have the least issues with and the cleanest one that hasn't changed too much about the stock rom. download and save the file to your SD Card. i chose the Download folder to make it easy to find.

3. now turn off your phone. hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button. you should see the standard Fastboot menu with the lil droid guys on skateboards on the bottom. press the volume down button until "recovery" is highlighted. hit the Power button to select it. you'll see the HTC logo as if it's booting and the clockwork mod screen (black background with green text) that you were left at with the Unrevoked tool.

4. using the volume down button select Nandroid > Backup. i'm not quite sure but i think this backups all your settings of the current stock Rom. *advanced users correct me if i'm wrong*. all i know is you NEED to do this. it was stressed in most forums.
give it a couple minutes and the process should finish.

5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working :) select yes and watch the quick install process.
few minutes later you should be up and running just fine.

6. if it reboots and you hear some pleasant chimes/dings and no ATT 3G boot up or loud WOOSH animation..you've installed his Rom just fine and all your previous settings as if nothing's changed :) yes the HTC Quietly Brilliant will be on your screen for a little while since there is no secondary boot animation. don't worry.

credits go to attn1 and quickness to get this clean rom up :)

***EDIT: July 26, 2010 ***
just wanted to thank everyone for the compliments and glad this was able to help ease the pain of rooting your Aria and installing a custom ROM.
many thanks for the compliments
:D

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
Whoa! Just what I needed. Many have come before you and remained silent so thanks for putting this together. I have been reading for a week now in preparation of purchasing an Aria and it just shipped from Amazon today. Now, I'm psyched!:D

unteagle

Oct 9, 2008
Google Pixel 6
this is amazing, i had literally just done the unrevoked thing and had no idea what to do next, and then all of the sudden this thread pops up and helped A LOT

perfect timing

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
glad to help :)
the experienced users were right that's it's simple if you KNOW what you're doing. just the answers/instructions were vague on exactly how.

unteagle

Oct 9, 2008
Google Pixel 6
ok, now how do i access clockwork? do i have to restart while holding the volume and power buttons or is there something im missing?

also, is there a way to move the apps to the sd card?

Last edited:

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
ok, now how do i access clockwork? do i have to restart while holding the volume and power buttons or is there something im missing?

also, is there a way to move the apps to the sd card?

Power down your phone, than hold down the volume down button and power button. In the fastboot menu push volume down till Recovery is highlighted and push the power button to select. 5 seconds later it'll load into clockwork

And I have yet to try the SD card app method

Last edited:

tbsavga

Jul 17, 2010
Savannah
I certainly appreciate your help here. I am now running the liberated 005 on my Aria. Still want to make the jump to 2.2 :D

andoh

Jul 9, 2010
Not to be rude, but we really shouldn't keep posting new instruction threads, they generally confuse people, and attn1 already mentioned this method.

uhhhyeahhh

Jul 13, 2010
new here. thanks for the step by step!

all was running fine up till the point where the program was rebooting my phone... but after the phone reboot and is running fine... it still say it's "waiting for reboot..." so... i try to start over and now it says that it's "waiting for device"...

but i've already installed and uninstalled the HTC sync for aria. please help!

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
Not to be rude, but we really shouldn't keep posting new instruction threads, they generally confuse people, and attn1 already mentioned this method.

yeah, but it took me over an hour and going through pages of forum posts before realizing i needed to install HTC Sync and uninstall it so that i could have all the drivers i needed and no issues of programs trying to access the USB port. this saves some newbs a lil headache. that's all i'm trying to do.

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
new here. thanks for the step by step!

all was running fine up till the point where the program was rebooting my phone... but after the phone reboot and is running fine... it still say it's "waiting for reboot..." so... i try to start over and now it says that it's "waiting for device"...

but i've already installed and uninstalled the HTC sync for aria. please help!

just plug the phone back in and let it run the Unrevoked again. i ran into the same issue and thought i might have rebooted too soon through clockwork.

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
can anyone tell me why the link to unrevoked.com/#aria wont load. all i get is the the home page where you select your phone. down at the bottom of the screen it says errors on page.... so frustrating

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
this is exactly what i needed! i have read and read (and tried) other methods, which may be the same in a sence, but i have never got it to work. i am in the process of installing the liberated rom as we speak. much props to you asiancuta for putting out a great step by step guide. and as always props to attn1 for making this possible.

edit: keep getting error at line 7 and installation aborted. phone is pretty much screwed. i can keep getting back into clockwork but dont know what to do from there. phone wont boot up either

Last edited:

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
this is exactly what i needed! i have read and read (and tried) other methods, which may be the same in a sence, but i have never got it to work. i am in the process of installing the liberated rom as we speak. much props to you asiancuta for putting out a great step by step guide. and as always props to attn1 for making this possible.

edit: keep getting error at line 7 and installation aborted. phone is pretty much screwed. i can keep getting back into clockwork but dont know what to do from there. phone wont boot up either

Odd. Never had that happen. In the install zip from SD card menu try selecting Signature Verification method is off and try that.
Also make sure you reboot the phone after rooting just in case.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007

If you followed the instructions, you can use ClockworkMod to restore your 'nandroid' backup.

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
Found out what the problem was. At least I think. When I formatted my SD card(trying other methods), I lost all the default folders. So I created a "downloads" folder and put the liberated Rom in it. Therefore I was getting an error message. I nand restored, moved the Rom out of the dl folder, and just put the zip file on the SD card. Not in a folder. Then proceeded with the instructions and worked just fine. Thx everyone. Now I'm rooted and flashed my first Rom (at least on android)

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like some of you, i'm an absolute newbie to Android. But after a week of reading and scrolling through many webpages and forums. i finally got the nerve to Root my Aria and install Attn1's ROM because i was tired of the auto-start of ATT's bloatware and random restarting of those apps that i had to constantly check and kill with Advanced Task Killer (ATK..in the Market).
    and yes i've actually seen a slight increase in my batter life after. (on at 6am..average txting, heavy web surfing, and minimal Market browsing...69% by 2pm)

so here's the step by step guide without having to go through the many pages of the forums...

** To Root your Aria and Clockwork Mod

1. go to http://unrevoked.com, choose your Aria phone, and click the download file. save and extract into a easy to remember directory on your computer.

2. go to http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install and follow the instructions to install HBOOT

3. go to HTC's website and download and install HTC Sync. Yes it's been said it messes up the process. slightly not true. you're only gonna install it so that the proper ADB drivers are installed that Unrevoked Rooting tool needs to access your phone. as soon as it installs...uninstall it. it will leave the proper ADB required drivers behind. (it took me hours and finally wading through 6 pages worth of forum posts to find this out..so i'm saving you the trouble)

4. now on your phone..click Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Charge Only

5. go back to Settings > Applications > Development > and check USB Debugging

6. now start UnRevoked (c:\directory you chose\reflash.exe)

7. gray wide window with UnRevoked's logo and a "waiting for device" type message under it. now plug in your Aria via USB to the computer. sit back and watch the magic. 5mins (or less) later and you will have a Rooted phone with Clockwork mod.

**now that your Aria is rooted you can install Attn1's ATT bloatware free Rom.

1. go to Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Disk Drive

2. go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=708434 and decide which beta version you want to use. I chose B003 since it's the one folks have the least issues with and the cleanest one that hasn't changed too much about the stock rom. download and save the file to your SD Card. i chose the Download folder to make it easy to find.

3. now turn off your phone. hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button. you should see the standard Fastboot menu with the lil droid guys on skateboards on the bottom. press the volume down button until "recovery" is highlighted. hit the Power button to select it. you'll see the HTC logo as if it's booting and the clockwork mod screen (black background with green text) that you were left at with the Unrevoked tool.

4. using the volume down button select Nandroid > Backup. i'm not quite sure but i think this backups all your settings of the current stock Rom. *advanced users correct me if i'm wrong*. all i know is you NEED to do this. it was stressed in most forums.
    give it a couple minutes and the process should finish.

5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working :) select yes and watch the quick install process.
    few minutes later you should be up and running just fine.

6. if it reboots and you hear some pleasant chimes/dings and no ATT 3G boot up or loud WOOSH animation..you've installed his Rom just fine and all your previous settings as if nothing's changed :) yes the HTC Quietly Brilliant will be on your screen for a little while since there is no secondary boot animation. don't worry.

credits go to attn1 and quickness to get this clean rom up :)

***EDIT: July 26, 2010 ***
    just wanted to thank everyone for the compliments and glad this was able to help ease the pain of rooting your Aria and installing a custom ROM.
    many thanks for the compliments
    :D
    Ok I got it rooted but where are the rom downloads the link provided in the first post just takes you to a forum talking about all that stuff and has 3 download links to the newer releases I was wanting to get b003 since the op posted that it is the one people have the least problems with.

hey OP here. sorry that this is so outdated now. it's been many Attn1's Roms since this was first written and i work a full time job a part time at night so i have little time to keep up with this post i had started.
    glad to see there are still helpful folks on this forum that won't bite your head off for the newb questions :)
    So if I wanted to install liberated fr008 would I just put the zip file on my phone as I did with R012 and go through the same steps?

Yes, you would follow the same process.
    Should I do another backup or is the other backup still good to go? By the way thanks man you have been awesome about helping me out

You only need to do another backup if you want to save your Liberated R012 install for any reason. The backup files get unique names by default, so it isn't like this backup will over-write your original backup of the Aria ROM.
    I'm trying this at the moment. All was going well until now, and I'm beginning to get scared about my lovely Aria!

I'm trying to install zip from sdcard. It gets as far as

Copying files...
    E:Can't chown/mod /system/bin/run-as
    (No such file or directory)
    E:Failure at line 11:
    set_perm 0 2000 06750 SYSTEM:bin/run-as
    Installation aborted

When I hit go back from here the phone freezes and I end up having to take the battery out to reboot in recovery again.

I was getting a line 3 error, but I got round that by moving the zip file from the Downloads part of the sd card into the main menu.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I'm getting nervous.

ps: i've been reading that it might be because the USB cable was plugged in. but i have also tried without, and no luck.

Which version of Aria are you attempting this on? AT&T branded or an unbranded? If it is an unbranded version, have you installed the OTA update to Froyo 2.2? If so there is currently no way to root your Aria.

If it is an AT&T branded Aria, then make sure that HTC Sync is not running in the system tray when you are attempting to run Unrevoked.