Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Do You Have a Data Plan
Yes 64 38.79%
No 101 61.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Guide: Using Android Without a Data Plan - Getting Apps, Moving Contacts, and More

OP themanwithaplan

21st July 2010, 07:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

131 posts
More
I compiled a guide that helps with using android without a data plan (apps, contacts, etc.)

Here's the text of the guide:

Using Android Without A Data Plan

Since Android is such a 'cloud' oriented OS, it can be quite difficult to make it useful for those without a data plan. This was formerly a non-issue, as Android devices were not available without both a data plan and wifi, but android on the Vogue changes this. There are a select few who will stick to the Vogue for the foreseeable future since it was one of the last decent smartphones to be available without a data plan (at least on Verizon). Some of these tips are pretty self-explanatory (especially the Other Tips section) I just noted them to create a complete resource, since I know the frustration of trying to find all of this information.
Transferring Contacts without a Data Plan:

This guide is primarily aimed at Froyo, since the Phone app can import vcf files. I tried other apps to do this, but nothing worked except for the built-in dialer. If you are using a pre-froyo version (<2.2) then you can try some of those apps (you can find them through the next part of the guide, about getting apps).

1. While still on Windows Mobile, sync to Outlook or Outlook Express.
2. Export all of the contacts as vcf files.
3. Copy them to your SD card (I put them in a folder in the root called contacts)
4. Open the contacts app, press the menu button, and press "Import/Export"
5. In the popup menu, select "Import from SD Card", and the phone will search for vCard data on the SD Card
6. At the next popup, select "Import all vCard files and click ok
7. All of your contacts will be imported

Obtaining Applications

The easiest way to find apps is to type the app name and apk into google, but most of the time, this does not work (and is illegal for paid apps, unless you get it from the dev directly). Since this doesn't usually work, you can get apps using a special avd and the android emulator.

1. Download/Setup the Android SDK and Download the accessmarket.rar file (originally found at http://tech-droid.blogspot.com/2009/...-emulator.html)
2. Copy the contents of accessmarket.rar to C:/Users/<YOUR USERNAME>/.android/avd/ - you might have to enable "show hidden files" in folder options to see the .android folder
3. Edit C:/Users/<YOUR USERNAME>/.android/avd/AndEmu.ini, and change the username in the file to your username
4. Start SDKSetup.exe, then click Virtual Devices, launch the device called "AndEmu"
5. Once this is started, download ASTRO file manager from market (it works in this emulator!) - ASTRO will allow you to backup the apks for apps that you download from the market. (NOTE: for protected/private apps, you can use Titanium Backup to back them up)
5.5. You can download any app from the market, and back it up
6. The apps you backup will be backed up to /sdcard/backups/apps/
7. You can use one of the following adb commands to pull these files from the emulator:

adb pull /sdcard/backups/apps/ /AndApps

This will download all of your backed up apps to a folder on your root drive called AndApps

or

adb pull /sdcard/backups/apps/<NAME OF APK>.apk /AndApps/<NAME OF APK>.apk

This will copy a single apk of your choosing to /AndApps/

8. After you do this, you need to copy the apk to your sdcard (either by taking the card out, or using the SD Share widget), and then you can install it to your phone with ASTRO
Note: Special Applications:

Some applications like to let you download themes and such within the app, without any other source. Most of these applications store files on a folder named after the app (com.something.something) so you can download the stuff within the app on the emulator, and backup the folder on the emu's sd card and put it on your phone.

Other tips:

Increasing Battery Life - this is a pretty simple tip, but a major (the only?) benefit of not having a data plan is increased battery life. You can completely disable the sync functionality of the phone.

Disable Sync:
Settings>Accounts & Sync Settings>
Make sure Background data and Auto-Sync are unchecked

Disable Wireless Networks for Location:
Settings>Location & Security>
Make sure Use Wireless networks is unchecked

Disable the Network:
Settings>Wireless & Network Settings>Mobile Networks
Make sure Data Enabled and Data Roaming are unchecked

GPS: To easily test out your GPS without a data plan (thus no Google Maps/Navigator) you can use GPS Test, which is available for free on the Market

If there are any other issues that I forgot to mention, comment below. (I'm currently working on Calendar)

I hope it's helpful to someone out there
Last edited by themanwithaplan; 26th July 2011 at 06:11 AM.
23rd July 2010, 04:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
thanks for the guide! ive been looking all over for something like this

its totally worth switching to android now with the market apps
23rd July 2010, 05:25 PM   |  #3  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,190

18,703 posts
More
Guide Stuck! Thanks for this.
23rd July 2010, 06:09 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
usb outlook sync
here's a possible usb sync solution for outlook users; it's pretty expensive though ($40, 15 day trial version), and I haven't tried it since my vouge is not activated atm.

http ://www .companionlink.com/androidusb/ol-android-usb.html

(spaces in link for newbie post)

Would this work with the vogue's usb driver?? I know i've read about issues with only parts of the usb driver being implemented.

Anyway there's a trial if anyone's interested. I'm still holding out for a "reverse tethering" solution so I can access the internet on my vogue over usb or bluetooth. There's another thread on here about that.
Last edited by brendabryg; 23rd July 2010 at 06:14 PM.
23rd July 2010, 06:22 PM   |  #5  
Flag P-Ville

337 posts
More
Great work on the guide. I'm sure I might be using it when I upgrade to a new phone in the near future
24th July 2010, 01:05 AM   |  #6  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 10

302 posts
More
this is a great guide, thanks. i am due for upgrade around december and think that i will keep my 6900 in service- not sure as to what she will do,but ill figure out something
this gives me the opportunity to keep her at full service.
thanks again
25th July 2010, 03:57 AM   |  #7  

99 posts
What are you guys doing for a calendar.
Was there ever a way discovered to use the google calendar?
25th July 2010, 02:08 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottter

What are you guys doing for a calendar.
Was there ever a way discovered to use the google calendar?

In the comments on my site trackstarboi said that this was good, but I have yet to try it:
http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...orte-iwqp.aspx
25th July 2010, 04:32 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

58 posts
I'm having trouble with Titanium Backup. It keeps on saying that the emulator needs to be rooted to be used, so how would I get it to work?
25th July 2010, 08:11 PM   |  #10  

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3lolz

In the comments on my site trackstarboi said that this was good, but I have yet to try it:
http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...orte-iwqp.aspx

I recently found ancal http://code.google.com/p/ancal/wiki/AnCal
and it seems to be working for me. I've tried jorte, didn't care for it.

It would still be ideal to use the google calendar, because of the widgets it has etc.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, no data plan, vogue
Previous Thread Next Thread