[BEGGING FOR HELP] ADB & Windows 7

Search This thread

Ryjabo

Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
USB/MicroSD mount is working, but I cannot get ADB to work. This is really pissing me off. I had it working fine on Vista but I'm a dumbass and decided to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate.

Device Manager does not show "Android Composite ADB Interface" or "Nexus One" or anything that looks remotely like that.

The instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=613054 -- do not work for me, as you can see in the screenshot I've provided below, nothing shows up.

SCREENSHOT (same also attached in case something happens to the link): http://imgur.com/uoaWH.jpg

1. The Android SDK is installed.
2. Java JDK 64 & 32 bit versions are both installed.
3. Plugged in my phone, turned on USB Debugging, nothing happened. Device manager list didn't change at all. No alerts near the systray from Win7.
4. I used "USB Deview" and uninstalled everything that looked like "Google" or "HTC" (saw nothing that said HTC or Android, just Google).
5. After #4, gave this POS a reboot, no change when plugging the phone in.

I have the driver downloaded, separately, as well as the one that comes with the Android SDK.

I'm at a complete loss.

Help is deeply, truly, appreciated, and I'll be clicking on some "DONATE" links if you can help me fix this.

EDIT: RESOLVED

Windows7 didn't like this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=702191

But it loves this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=714184

Needless to say... I'm pretty happy!

Attachments

• stupidfuckingcomputer.jpg
    stupidfuckingcomputer.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Ryjabo

Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
usb driver installed?

Yes.

And USB debugging is enabled.

I can mount the SD, but it looks like Windows thinks my phone is nothing more than a storage device. The ADB crap is not showing up in the Device Manager like it did on Vista, nor is there *anything* that says "Nexus One" except in... see new screenshot.

http://imgur.com/J7OzA.jpg

Attachments

• stupidfuckingcomputer2.jpg
    stupidfuckingcomputer2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 112

Teario

Aug 23, 2009
Liverpool
Is your Nexus running 2.2?

I had this exact problem as soon as I updated to 2.2; Windows 7 simply refuses to accept the device.

Put your device in recovery mode and see if fastboot can detect it. For me it can, but ADB and DDMS both think nothing is connected when the phone is on and in debug mode.

I have a HTC Magic as well which works absolutely fine (even when running CM6, which is 2.2 based) but the Nexus on 2.2 is just a no go. If you've unlocked your bootloader you could downgrade to 2.1 again. I never had problems on Win7 with 2.1.

Your only other option is to add your comments to the bug, here: code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9437 (sorry, I'm still not allowed to post proper links yet)

It seems very few people are experiencing this (or reporting it when they do) so my hopes for them fixing it are pretty low.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Are you on version R3 of the USB driver?

What happens when you plug in the phone with usb debugging turned on (on the status bar) ?
Does it ask for a driver? if so manually point it to C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver (may differ)

below is a SS of the driver files being uses on my win-7 64 bit desktop.
J7Z0X.png

Prod1702

May 31, 2007
Try something for me. I am having the same as you but try this. Boot your phone in recovery mode and see if adb works then. My pc sees the phone as adb in recovery but it doesn't see it as adb on the home screen. Not sure why this is but it worked at one time.

Ryjabo

Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
Try something for me. I am having the same as you but try this. Boot your phone in recovery mode and see if adb works then. My pc sees the phone as adb in recovery but it doesn't see it as adb on the home screen. Not sure why this is but it worked at one time.

Holy ****.

I love you.

I've been pulling my hair out. Seriously.

I booted into recovery, plugged the phone in, Windows tried installing drivers, but failed, then I saw "Nexus One" listed in Device Manager, and after installing the drivers that came with the SDK, the "Android Phone" and "Android Composite ADB Interface" stuff shows up in the device manager, and adb commands work... when my phone is booted into Recovery.

Recovery was the key.

Thank you!!!!!!

Ryjabo

Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
ADB recognizes the device when I'm recovery, and the "adb push" commands do their thing, but I don't see the files being pushed where I'm pushing them to.

Do I just have to enable the "USB toggle" thing?

productofusa

May 20, 2010
WA
I just installed Win 7 and used these directions from the android developers website and everything worked flawlessly from the getgo:

http:// developer.android.com/sdk/index.html/

Hmmm, correct url, not working, 404, maybe it'll work if you copy/paste and take the spaces out from between // and developer.

Last edited:

pendo

Jun 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
What recovery image are you using? I've had good luck with ClockworkMod and it's 'mount system' option as far as push/pull while in recovery.

pendo

Jun 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Something had to be wrong....that's stable rom. There's more than one custom rom that has it for a base.

Ryjabo

Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
Something had to be wrong....that's stable rom. There's more than one custom rom that has it for a base.

I'm not knocking the ROM or the developer of the ROM, but I made a backup, wiped everything, flashed the MCR ROM again, went back to the same problem.

Putting the other ROM back... no more problem. ADB commands work fine, and Windows7 sees my phone.

pendo

Jun 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm not knocking the ROM or the developer of the ROM, but I made a backup, wiped everything, flashed the MCR ROM again, went back to the same problem.

Putting the other ROM back... no more problem. ADB commands work fine, and Windows7 sees my phone.

And I don't doubt what you're saying...I was just thinking it was strange.....but hey strange things do happen so who knows, lol.