Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 46,047 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Your GPS oppinion
I use GPS a lot and it works great. 239 13.49%
I use GPS a lot and sometimes it's Ok, other times unusable. 406 22.91%
I use GPS a lot and it's really bad. 429 24.21%
I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's OK. 232 13.09%
I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's really bad. 304 17.16%
Other/See Results. 162 9.14%
Voters: 1772. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

Tip us?

Tyxerakias
Old
(Last edited by Tyxerakias; 25th July 2010 at 01:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 256

DONATE TO ME
I'm on holidays now in Greece and I'm happy with my GPS.

Before I left, I tried everything that was suggested here and I mean everything. The last thing I tried, with which I noticed a much stabler lock but still not great accuracy when I tried on the bus (I don't own a car in London), was deleting the secgps.conf file (in /data/gps), which is autogenerated when you run that secret test menu. When you reboot the phone, it generates it with its default settings, which include NUM_OF_FIX=999999999 instead of 0, and do not have TIME_BTW_FIX=0. Also SESSION_TYPE is changed to 2, instead of 1 and SERVER_MODE is 0 instead of 1.

If you run the *#147.. test, it immediately gets overwritten with the other values, even if you don't change anything in the test (This means that if that file plays a role in the GPS settings, you have changed it just by entering the test code, and you should change it back anyway! - by deleting it and rebooting).

I have no idea if this is what made a difference. But these last few days in my car, with the phone in a car holder, I have been navigating with Sygic and not a single drop, and even the displayed speed is correct most of the time. I can't ask for more from an in-car GPS. It's still not as extremely accurate as my old external bluetooth GPS that I used with my Nokia, but so far it hasn't failed to tell me 'turn' when I should. I'm very happy with it.

Simon, since you have rooted your phone now, you can try this and see if it makes a difference.

My wifi and wifi location is off, but I don't think that matters.

I have limited data here, so I set it to 'always 2G'. I also have the gps.conf (in /system/etc) set to the european ntp server, but I also don't think that matters, since I don't use A-GPS.

Unfortunately I still don't think it's usable for walking. GPS Test shows that it loses fix when the screen autorotates, and I also think the reception is affected by holding it with your hands (someone else has mentioned this too). I will test this further in the coming days.

Evans_Prophet
Old
(Last edited by Evans_Prophet; 25th July 2010 at 03:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Tyxerakias, the reason why the gps is so much better is probably the Greek clear blue sky.

Furthermore, the number of viewable sats changes over time from 6 to 12. So if you tested when 12 sats were passing by over the area, your results would be much better than if only 8 were passing by...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ConstellationGPS.gif

Sygic works for me as well fine, but this is probably due to other reasons (e.g. sygic knows / expects your path).

Beards
Old
Thanks Meter 857
Default Broadcom InConcert BCM20751

The Broadcom InConcert BCM20751 Combo Chip

Have a read of that guys...... and Mark (TravUK), if you are hanging around ~ I know you can't say too much but I will ask... comments my friend?
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.

hkmatt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Best firmware for GPS is ZSJF7

Hey all,

I have recently bought three SGS phones from different countries/regions with different firmwares. The first was a UK model and I was annoyed as GPS was useless. I flashed up to JM2 but there is no difference...did all the tweaks in the hidden GPS menu....but still no way. I bought the Chinese model yesterday with a June version of ZSJF7 and it is spot on I have GPS connection within seconds of up to 10 satelites. I had the others SGS phones right next to them and they got 1 satelite...yes: 1 (!!!), so I tried various firmwares....finally I flashed them all to the CN ZSJF7 and now it is a dream. It's also faster than JM2, but has less features....so if you want a GPS fix...get ZSJF7.

Cheers

eaglesteve
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I just flashed JM2 and completed it a few minutes ago, because I was so frustrated with my GPS. I tried the tricks in a few thread already but they don't solve the problem. I was hoping that JM2 would solve it, but you say it doesn't?

Where can we get this ZSJF7? Any link to a server with reasonable download speed?

Thanks you for your info. Cheers.

hkmatt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You can go to samsung-firmware*webs*com/samsungi9000*htm to download it...sorry I cannot post links here so substitute the "*" with "."

Make sure you take ZSJF7 and not XXJF7.....

Let me know if it works for you....

eaglesteve
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmatt View Post
You can go to samsung-firmware*webs*com/samsungi9000*htm to download it...sorry I cannot post links here so substitute the "*" with "."

Make sure you take ZSJF7 and not XXJF7.....

Let me know if it works for you....
Got it. Downloading now.

Thank you very much. Will let you know if it works for me.

BTW, what pitfile do you use when you moved from JM2 to this?

mika34
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesteve View Post
I just flashed JM2 and completed it a few minutes ago, because I was so frustrated with my GPS. I tried the tricks in a few thread already but they don't solve the problem. I was hoping that JM2 would solve it, but you say it doesn't?

Where can we get this ZSJF7? Any link to a server with reasonable download speed?

Thanks you for your info. Cheers.
Guys did you try this settings? works for me perfectly

In Settings turn off "Use wireless networks" in Location and security.
put on dialer *#*#1472365#*#*
"Application settings" > Operation mode set > "MS Based"
In "SUPL/CP Settings" change server on : supl.google.com and port on 7276 (or 7272 if 6 doesnt work for you)
Restart your phone
Turn back on Use wireless networks ( i did`t )

LET ME KNOW PLEASE. Hopefully will work for you

eaglesteve
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mika34 View Post
Guys did you try this settings? works for me perfectly

In Settings turn off "Use wireless networks" in Location and security.
put on dialer *#*#1472365#*#*
"Application settings" > Operation mode set > "MS Based"
In "SUPL/CP Settings" change server on : supl.google.com and port on 7276 (or 7272 if 6 doesnt work for you)
Restart your phone
Turn back on Use wireless networks ( i did`t )

LET ME KNOW PLEASE. Hopefully will work for you
You got this from a thread that says something like 101 in GPS right? I read that thread and noted that your setting is the same as what was mentioned there.

I had tried that just before I flashed to JM2. It didn't work. I used a tracking program to plot my position and drove around. It was all over the place, and stop tracking in the middle of the trip. I did a second test, by remaining completely staionary. The recorded "trip" showed me moved to a lot of places, some half a kilometers away, some about a kilometers away, although I didn't move.

mika34
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesteve View Post
You got this from a thread that says something like 101 in GPS right? I read that thread and noted that your setting is the same as what was mentioned there.

I had tried that just before I flashed to JM2. It didn't work. I used a tracking program to plot my position and drove around. It was all over the place, and stop tracking in the middle of the trip. I did a second test, by remaining completely staionary. The recorded "trip" showed me moved to a lot of places, some half a kilometers away, some about a kilometers away, although I didn't move.
Oh sorry. I did`t try to drive with it yet. Just bought it yesterday and when applied new settings got 7 setalites (before 0!).

I had HD2 before. And i`m still big noob in this "new world" of adnroid and samsung.
Would you just tell me what JM2 is? I went on that page with all the firmwares and don`t know which one to chose. You saying I9000ZSJF7 and there is newer from I9000BUJF5 2010 July is that not good?

Tags
branches, firmware, fix, forks, gps, gps fix, jh2, lock, naming, sgs, upgrade