[App Project][Update 09/06/10] WiMAX Message Notifier

Search This thread

bludragon742

Jul 26, 2010
Lancaster, PA
www.josephleedy.me
There was a thread posted yesterday about using the WiMAX LED for notifications so I am going to tackle this project. Please give me your thoughts and ideas on how best to make this work properly as this is my first Android app.

For now, this app requires ROOT privileges! Root no longer necessary!

Edit 09/06/10 Second version released and available for download. See change log for details.

Edit 08/28/10 First version released and available for download. See change log for details.

Edit 08/23/10 PM me if you are interested in becoming a tester. No more needed; thanks to all those who did!

Edit 08/11/10: Semi-working basic proof of concept finished. Full working version coming within the next couple of weeks. Enjoy! Your feedback is highly appreciated. Don't be too shy to click the button in my signature if you like this project!

Attachments

• WiMAXNotifier-10.09.06.apk
    57.9 KB · Views: 31,168
Last edited:

bludragon742

Jul 26, 2010
Lancaster, PA
www.josephleedy.me
Change Log/Release Notes:

Version 10.09
    • App no longer requires root
    • MMS messages are now supported
    • About dialog fixed (Activity was not being started)

Version 10.08
    • Title changed to WiMAX Notifier from WiMax Notifier
    • Add nifty icon
    • Three more colors added (thanks zonyl!)
    • Works for SMS notifications only - Future versions will handle MMS, Voice Mail, missed calls, and more!
    • Initial proof of concept
    • Only flashes WiMAX LED - Doesn't handle notifications yet

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
  1. Q. How much does this app cost?
    A. It is currently free to members of the XDA community but a donation is recommended if you feel this app is useful and you want to see it further developed. Non-XDA members will be able to download the next release of this app from the Android Market (thanks Avimex!), price TBD.
  2. Q. Is this app add-supported?
    A. Previous versions, including 10.09.06 and prior, do not have any advertisements. Future versions will have adds that the user might be able to disable (haven't decided yet) in the free/donate version and paid versions will not have any adds at all.
  3. Q. Does this app require root?
    A. Version 10.08.28 does but newer versions do not.
  4. Q. Is ____ feature supported?
    A. Currently this app only handles SMS and MMS messages. I plan to support incoming/missed calls, new voicemails, and GMail in future releases.
  5. Q. What type of release is this app?
    A. Unless otherwise noted, all versions posted here are final releases.
  6. Q. Can I be a beta tester?
    A. I currently have enough beta testers and I am not accepting any more.
  7. Q. Will this app drain my battery?
    A. This app runs in the background via a Broadcast Receiver and only runs the service while the LED is on which therefore should not kill your battery.
  8. Q. Can you support ____ rate or _____ color?
    A. I am limited to what colors and rates are provided by the system.
  9. Q. Are you using all of the available rates and colors?
    A. Yes
  10. Q. Will this work with my current SMS/MMS app and do I have to disable any notifications?
    A. This app is designed to compliment, or work along side, your existing SMS/MMS app meaning that you should not have to disable anything in order for this app to work properly. It has been tested with the stock SMS/MMS app, Handcent, and Chomp.
  11. Q. Do you have a Twitter account that I can follow to track your progress?
    A. Not at the moment but maybe in the future.
  12. Q. How do I live test the SMS and MMS notifications to make sure they work correctly?
    A. Simple - send yourself an e-mail to "[your 10-digit number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com" for SMS or "[your 10-digit number]@pm.sprint.com" for MMS
  13. Q. Does the message service always run in the background?
    A. No. It is started when a new message is received and killed when the message has been read.
  14. Q. What should I do if this app force closes?
    A. PM me with the contents of the file "/sdcard/WiMAXNotifier/logs/wmnTrace_XXXXX.stack" if one exists and a dump from LogCat so that I may see what is causing the problem and fix it quickly.
  15. Q. Why does this app require Internet permissions?
    A. In order for the hyperlinks in the About dialog to work correctly. (Full permissions list coming soon!)

Last edited:

Saturn2K

May 30, 2010
Pittsburgh
So is the idea to create an LED notification when 4G coverage has been detected by the phone, as opposed to the taskbar notification that comes stock?

I think adding a notification sound would be good also, I can't remember if the stock 4G notification made a sound or not.
He's talking about using the Wimax LED in order to give more diversity for notifications.

nukedukem

Jun 23, 2010
A picture is worth a thousand words... makes a lot more sense now. You could add a third notification like email or something so that each color could be used. Then perhaps a cycling color to notify you when your nagging gf is calling you while you're out with the boys.

Last edited:

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
so what color is the 4g led? i wouldnt know cause i dont have 4g:(

rjmjr69

Dec 11, 2008
Southie
sweet idea. Can those three colors be combined to make any color or are you limited to those? missed calls alarms tweets

bludragon742

Jul 26, 2010
Lancaster, PA
www.josephleedy.me
@afflaq No I haven't yet, still waiting with baited breath. I did this the hard way with DroidDraw and MotoDev.

@tracerit Not sure yet as I haven't written the code. Most likely you will but we'll see.

@rjmjr69, @hockey4life0099 Through testing those are the colors available.

@nukedukem It's a second led to the far right of the first that is supposed be used during 4g communication but I've never seen it come on. Good call on adding the extra notifications but for now I'll stick to the basics as a proof of concept.

bludragon742

Jul 26, 2010
Lancaster, PA
www.josephleedy.me
After during some research, to keep the GUI clean and allow for multiple types of notifications, I think I want to using a PreferenceActivity. I am redesigning the interface now and will post new screen shots when I am done.

Edit: Added screen shots to main page!

Last edited:

Minjin

Nov 22, 2008
Are you doing this by intercepting the normal LED commands and then issuing your own?

Good start.

SteelH

Jun 12, 2010
Very nice work. Multi-Color LED is the one (and ONLY) thing I miss from my BlackBerry.

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Sweet, watching this thread too. A friend of mine got a white Evo and told me he liked how the light on the right blinked when he got a text. I told him there was only one notification LED on the left (a la every other HTC phone). He couldn't prove it to me there was a second LED

Oops, foot in mouth :p Can't wait to see this one though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New thread up! Please direct any and all discussion of my version over there.
    WiMAX Message Notifier redux

---

To anyone downloading this without reading the rest of the thread: There will most likely still be force closes! This version is merely an attempt to perfectly clone the original. I didn't start from scratch - I disassembled the original apk and reverse engineered it. For now, it should have all the same bugs!
    There was a thread posted yesterday about using the WiMAX LED for notifications so I am going to tackle this project. Please give me your thoughts and ideas on how best to make this work properly as this is my first Android app.

For now, this app requires ROOT privileges! Root no longer necessary!

Edit 09/06/10 Second version released and available for download. See change log for details.

Edit 08/28/10 First version released and available for download. See change log for details.

Edit 08/23/10 PM me if you are interested in becoming a tester. No more needed; thanks to all those who did!

Edit 08/11/10: Semi-working basic proof of concept finished. Full working version coming within the next couple of weeks. Enjoy! Your feedback is highly appreciated. Don't be too shy to click the button in my signature if you like this project!
    Guys to shut off the system LED notification

Menu/Settings/Display/Notification Flash

on that screen u have a choice to disable notification flash for

Missed call
    sms/mms
    email
    voice mail
    reminders
    alarms​

If this helped u out .. hit thanks ...

:)

Wont that completely turn flash off? Mine are left on. I disable the stock app only to prevent getting two noti. This also works.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    OK, I have basically finished reverse-engineering the app. I'm going to run it for a little while to make sure I didn't screw anything up, then I'll post it up here. Once I get it working right, I'll clean up the source and post it with the app, as well as possibly implement any other features people want. However, I'm going to be pretty busy for the next week or so, so source+features may have to wait until next weekend.
    I've added a "turn off LED" function and cleaned up the source a bit, but didn't have enough time today to finish it. If I'm not too hungover tomorrow, I'll post it then, but it'll probably be Sunday. I'll definitely make a new thread at that point.