Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
NEW THREAD HERE
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=765822

THIS IS NOW AVAILABLE IN EXT2, EXT3, AND EXT4 VARIATES(DOES NOT REQUIRE CUSTOM KERNEL!)

IF YOU ARE USING JH2/JH3 FIRMWARE, READ THIS POST, IT IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7650658&postcount=312
The reason this step is important is that the JH2 firmware is a test build, and as a test build it has GPS logging enabled... this uses an absolutely ludicrous amount of storage space- and the real kicker? It uses the space OUTSIDE of this fix, meaning your phone will encounter low space warnings very quickly if not instantly upon applying the fix!

THIS NOTE IS FOR EVERYONE. THESE FIXES WORK BETTER FROM A FRESH FLASH. THEY *CAN* WORK WITHOUT A CLEAN FLASH BUT REALIZE THAT YOU ARE POTENTIALLY PUTTING YOUR DATA AT RISK!

What this does (Shamelessly stolen from RyanAZ's OP)
Creates a VIRTUAL EXT2 filesystem inside the stock RFS filesystem on the internal SD card, with a 4KB block size. This means that this lag fix creates a buffer between the real filesystem and the android system. This buffer should reduce the amount of disk I/O required for all operations by utilizing EXT2 buffering, as well as not writing file access times to disk, etc.

PROS
Doesn't rely on external SD
Easy to do
Reverse-able
Real, noticeable performance increases outside of Quadrant (Seriously don't pay attention to Quadrant, but if that's what you care about this will make your pants tighter)

CONS
Uses EXT2 file system which is non-journaled and CAN become corrupted, frequent backups are strongly recommended! (2.2 Implements error checking every 30 mounts)
It's also up for debate as to whether this adds extra strain on your internal memory.

1.0 SECTION WILL FOLLOW 2.0 STUFF

AS WITH ANY FIX: READ THE INFO, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, AND UNDERSTAND POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES!

LINKS TO GET THE GOODS BELOW!!

The RyanZA version that does EXT2 is Available at the thread linked below
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=751864

RyanZA has put out an APK version of the fix for people less comfortable doing the update.zip or batch file methods! (This is the V1 lagfix, so for people having issues with the newer fixes this one might work for you!)
TEMPORARILY DOWN UNTIL VERSION 2.3
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=760571

There is also an update.zip version that does EXT2, EXT3 (1500 Quadrant), or EXT4 (1800 quadrant) versions thanks to Tayutama! I've tested this to work on JH2, and JM5 firmwares! There is also a special version for Captivate JH2 (It also works for JH3) that fixes the GPS Log issues so no need to edit the XML's yourself!
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7632258&postcount=208

praveer01 threw up a handy writeup for those of you running Unbuntu or any other Linux system:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7671640&postcount=583

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND REMEMBER THIS IS *VERY* BETA, NEITHER RYANZA OR MYSELF WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR MELTING YOUR DEVICES OR KILLING YOUR DOG IF THIS FAILS. That said, this thread has been very good about helping people who borked their Captivates with 1.0

Here's the reasons you'd want to do this:

Benefits over version 1

1.7GB of application data available, with no data loss. (Up from < 1GB)
e2fsck of the EXT2 partition on each boot. (To scan and fix corruption!)
Correct busybox version included! YES! (Because no one can get it right =P)
/app directory included in the fix for faster application installs.
Mounts instead of symlinks for extra performance as OS does less work (about 100 or so more quadrant).

2.3 Changelog
/dbdata has been removed. This fixes maps issues.
/app-private is now a symlink to /app/app-private. This fixes paid apps issues.

2.2 Changelog
/app-private is included
A second EXT2 partition is created in fast /dbdata storage. /dbdata/databases are moved inside here for increased speed in applications that use it. (System apps mostly, I think)
Proper parameters for e2fsck.
0% space reserved in the EXT2.
EXT2 partition reduced from 1.7GB to 1.5GB to allow more space for captivate users.

Running from a stock install of JH2 I'm currently getting 2300 quadrant scores with ALL AT&T BLOATWARE AND TW ENABLED!

IF YOU'RE NEW TO THIS KIND OF THING, OR ARE WORRIED ABOUT POSSIBLY HAVING TO REFLASH YOUR PHONE, YOU PROBABLY SHOULD WAIT A LITTLE WHILE FOR MORE PEOPLE TO TEST THIS!

Found this over in the i9000 forums and tested it myself- I'm getting 2100+ quadrants scores with the stock Captivate kernel and it doesn't hang up on the I/O portion like all the other fixes... in addition you don't require an SDcard for this to work.

Original thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748596

One of the folks over there created a one-click lagfixer and it DOES work for the Captivate:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=749495

FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT WANT TO READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD
This fix creates a 1GB file formatted in EXT2 and moves all of your apps, data, dbdata into it which DRASTICALLY improves I/O performance. One advisory SHUT YOUR PHONE DOWN PROPERLY, this means no yanking the battery out. Due to it being EXT2, non graceful shutdowns CAN cause corruption.

Edit: No wake up lag either- not sure if that's due to using a non-modded kernel or because the ext2 file is located on the internal memory.

Edit 2: Make *SURE* before attempting this that you have Busybox 1.17.1 or the boot animation script calls won't work!

Link to Busybox 1.17.1
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7574130&postcount=229

DO NOT UPGRADE BUSYBOX TO 1.18! 1.18 REMOVES MAKEFS WHICH IS NECESSARY FOR THIS PROCESS

Edit 3: I haven't used the stock Captivate ROM for a while, but this feels quite fast- Also worth noting that this SHOULD work with any ROM- including i9000, I might test that later but I'm enjoying having functioning haptic feedback. 2200 Quadrant with Shootme and market running! Since seeing is believing I've thrown in a screen cap.

Confirmed working with JM5 ROM

IF YOU USE A MAC OR JUST CAN'T GET ADB TO WORK THIS FIX CAN BE PERFORMED WITHOUT A PC- SEE THE POST BELOW:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7583565&postcount=116

Attachments

• snap20100809_092535.jpg
    snap20100809_092535.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:

mykenyc

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix
Ha! it worked thanks dude you should rename this thread with brackets. " [Fix][Lag] Alternative by {author name} - alpha " .. so it can gain more attention. Just we need two more fixes GPS and my attenna issues then i'm good with my captivate.

[edit]omg my phone is flying see this is how my phone should have been out the box it flies!

Last edited:

max_warheads

Jul 22, 2010
Lancaster
rebooting from this now. I should not that I had to run the shell script manually because it kept not prompting me for SU...? No biggy though.

Will test, can't post screen from work though.

Edit: running quadrant....

Edit: ... *thud* 1961, 2237 ( FB, gmail, etc were running & syncing in background last time!)

Last edited:

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
Ha! it worked thanks dude you should rename this thread with brackets. " [Fix][Lag] Alternative by {author name} - alpha " .. so it can gain more attention. Just we need two more fixes GPS and my attenna issues then i'm good with my captivate.

[edit]omg my phone is flying see this is how my phone should have been out the box it flies!
Title change done!

Glad this is working for you guys, I've tried every fix so far and this one is MILES ahead of the others in terms of real world improvement (At least for me).

LockeCPM4

Jun 27, 2008
Michigan
www.att.com
Besides downloading the .zip file, do i need anything else?

Also, i am assuming we install this by booting into recovery mode?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

mykenyc

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix

Thanks

Nope just run lagfixme.bat this in the zip file, run and leave your phone screen on so you can see the root request permission.

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks

Nope, you don't need anything else. Also nope, no recovery mode shenanigans, just unzip the file, turn on debugging mode on your phone, plug her in, and run the batch file!

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
again, those high quadrant scores mean nothing unless you get no lag in real world testing. Such tests can be done in the following apps: Dolphin HD browser, facebook, twitter, touchdown, k-9 email

All common applications that have serious lag on the SGS. Assuming that this method does fix I/O problems (Especially the I/O quadrant tests), there should be no lag in those apps. Anyone try?

I noticed this in the original thread:
EDIT3 09 aug 0033HKT:
it's not for the benchmark only, instead, it has very good effects on ur phone's io

Sounds good, I'll give it a try

Last edited:

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
again, those high quadrant scores mean nothing unless you get no lag in the following apps: Dolphin HD browser, facebook, twitter, touchdown, k-9 email

All common applications that have serious lag on the SGS. Assuming that this method does fix I/O problems (Especially the I/O quadrant tests), there should be no lag in those apps. Anyone try?

I know you have your reservations about these fixes, and you've been very vocal about your opinions on the matter. I happen to agree with you on most points, but as someone who has tried all of these, I can tell you this doesn't feel like the placebo effect. I'll install DolphinHD and toy with it, but everything I've messed with so far seems much snappier. Feel free to try it yourself, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to install, and is completely reverse able.

Edit: So far with dolphin HD things feel snappy, the only exception is pages absolutely laden with flash lite ads... but that's not really an I/O issue, if you've got any particular web site recommendations I'd be glad to check them out and let you know my mileage

Last edited:

tbae2

Jan 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So far so good, I recently erased my phone (130mb lag fix not big enough). And this is working wonderfully so far, dolphon browser HD(my favorite browser) works very fast. So far so good, I'll report back when I've tried it for the whole day.

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
I know you have your reservations about these fixes, and you've been very vocal about your opinions on the matter. I happen to agree with you on most points, but as someone who has tried all of these, I can tell you this doesn't feel like the placebo effect. I'll install DolphinHD and toy with it, but everything I've messed with so far seems much snappier. Feel free to try it yourself, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to install, and is completely reverse able.

Edit: So far with dolphin HD things feel snappy, the only exception is pages absolutely laden with flash lite ads... but that's not really an I/O issue, if you've got any particular web site recommendations I'd be glad to check them out and let you know my mileage

Thanks! I'll give it a try as I don't like being tied down to 130mb for application storage using the NAND fix.

Basic usage should be snappy:
- opening\closing\switching tabs
- scrolling with the volume buttons
- pinch zooming
- loading multiple pages

On stock, and even mimocan's fix, it would lag horrible to the point of unusability.

The only way to make it run smoothly and quickly was to move all your /data/ to the /dbdata/ on the NAND (but limited to 130mb of app space)

LockeCPM4

Jun 27, 2008
Michigan
www.att.com
I guess my install question wasnt answered. You said run the .BAT file, do i run it on my pc? And what software on the pc side must i have installed?

Thanks for helping a noob!

max_warheads

Jul 22, 2010
Lancaster

Tested:
Gmail, FB (official), GVoice, messaging, TWC, stock browser, andoku (yeah, I can SEE it faster. and thats a simple app!)

tbae2

Jan 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I guess my install question wasnt answered. You said run the .BAT file, do i run it on my pc? And what software on the pc side must i have installed?

Plug it into your pc making sure the USB debugging is on. Download the zip file, extract all of it. Run the Lagfixme.bat and make sure you leave the phone screen on (tap it if low time out) to accept the super user permission request. After that it will finish on it's own. Just reboot the phone by shutting it down. The zip file contains all the necessary files.

Edit: and make sure your phone is rooted / has the drivers installed!

max_warheads

Jul 22, 2010
Lancaster

The zip file actually contains a copy of the adb as needed, so other than the drivers to be able to connect via USB Debugging, nada.

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
All I can say is wow. Definitely not placebo. Certain apps used to take forever to initialize (i.e. Facebook, Market). They now start up almost instantly.

I have not tried any of the other "fixes" because to me they break more than they fix. I don't want to use my external SD in a way that makes it non-swappable and I don't want to be restricted to 130mb for apps. This fix is the best so far. I'm guessing it may not be necessary once we have Froyo (double the RAM) but it does the trick for now.

dougp.me

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
Seemingly didn't work for me, my Quadrant scores are still sitting at 948. I'm on the stock ROM, and undid the previous speed fix I had.

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL

It was answered:
You need root
Download zip file- unzip it.
Put phone into debug mode and plug in USB
run the included .bat file from the zip file and it will do the rest for you.

It has it's own adb.exe but you might need to install the SDK if you haven't already. That's it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So quick question... should i make the script like the test version i gave you aka.
    Not copying over /data/app-private and /data/app?

Also should i make a image on /dbdata to move that into?

That's a good question... I can say so far from the test script you gave me yesterday that it doesn't seem to be hurting performance at all. It's been running without restart since I installed it yesterday morning and it's snappy. I haven't noticed any sort of stability issues or any rogue glitches either. I think the best way to put it is that this version feels less volatile, but I don't have a psychotic amount of apps installed either.

Wish we had a couple more test subjects to give their opinion on it though.

As for dbdata hasn't it already been concluded that it's pretty much amazingly responsive even without a virtual FS?
    I got these fonts from the themes thread for the vibrant fonts,

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=759642

Specifically, I installed the burton font and the darkness font, both I tried and both didnt register upon restart of the phone.

Okay! I'll be sure to toss those into my test runs to see if we can't get to the bottom of it. It might be something specific to the vibrant fonts (we can only hope).

Tayutama said:
    hehe true... i got problems atm with boot looping after fix ^^

had it going till it had to mount /dbdata and then removed something i shouldn't have done so it reboots all the time instead off only once :(

That's bizarre, chainfire was able to move the dbdata wasn't he? I wonder what's going on differently?