5,604,730 Members 32,455 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Concept] Windows Phone 7 Chrome HD

Tip us?
 
paperclips
Old
(Last edited by paperclips; 6th September 2010 at 02:38 AM.)
#1  
paperclips's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Default [Concept] Windows Phone 7 Chrome HD

Featured On:

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/a...ne-7-prototype

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2010/08/...e-concept.html

http://www.techit.in/windows-phone-7...ition-concept/

Windows Phone 7 is shaping up to be my future platform for development but that doesn't mean I think it's perfect. Many people believe that METRO UI is too flat and while I disagree, it would be nice to have some more variety out there. With this concept, I shaped a more Chrome version of METRO UI featuring gradients, shadows, etc. This is a concept only as I have not contacted, nor heard from any manufacturers. If I decide to contact anyone, most likely ASUS, LG, or Toshiba, I will let everyone know. Name for this concept is Chrome HD for its HD resolution, camera, and HDMI output. Black version update coming later today.


Chrome HD by PAP3RCLIPS, on Flickr


Black Version (30 Second alteration.)


Black WP7 by PAP3RCLIPS, on Flickr

FAQ:

Q: What is the frame made out of?
A: Most of the phone would be made out of brushed metal.

Q: What is that blue shining light?
A: That is a notification light.

Q: What is that metal strap on the back of the phone?
A: A Kickstand

Q: What is the black hole on the back of the device?
A: Another microphone for noise cancellation.

Q: What are the holes on the bottom of the device?
A: HDMI and mini USB.

Q: What is the button near the bottom on the right side of the device?
A: That is a camera button.

Q: What was your inspiration for this concept?
A: A combination of the new Asus Windows Phone, the Nexus One, Zune HD, and the iPhone 4. Camera is based on some found in the Nokia N series.

Q: Are those physical and capacitive buttons?
A: No, the glyphs are there for indications of what each button above it does. Styling was based off of Zune HD and Xperia X10's buttons.

Q: What's with the unnecessarily high resolution?
A: It's pretty much just to match the iPhone Retina display. I was under the impression that you could go beyond the minimum hardware requirements with anything.

Q: Where is the power button?
A: On the left side above the volume buttons.
 
orb3000
Old
#2  
orb3000's Avatar
XDA News Writer / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3010
Posts: 22,272
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

 
DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this!
It looks really nice
orb


HTC One Max - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site


 
This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly
 
the-hq
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 52
Join Date: Mar 2010
Done quite well.

I like that your changes are more subtle than the other design we have seen here.
 
MonteCristoffOn
Old
#4  
MonteCristoffOn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 456
Join Date: Oct 2005
Thumbs up Somptuous!

Finally someone who understand WP7 philosophy!
Excellent work paperclips, your device is really somptuous.

 
Iridox
Old
#5  
Iridox's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 100
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
This looks like an iPhone-esque clone with WP7 on it to me... meh.
 
irdawood
Old
(Last edited by irdawood; 10th August 2010 at 06:00 PM.)
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 193
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclips View Post
Kind of got inspired with the Sense 3 render to do my own. This is actually my first try at a phone render since I'm mostly just a designer for web and advertisements but I think it came out pretty decent. This is not only a hardware concept, but a WP7 OS redesign. Check out the "would be" specs under the original concept.


Windows Phone by PAP3RCLIPS, on Flickr

Black Version (30 Second alteration.)


Black WP7 by PAP3RCLIPS, on Flickr

FAQ:

Q: What is the frame made out of?
A: Most of the phone would be made out of brushed metal.

Q: What is that blue shining light?
A: That is a notification light.

Q: What is that metal strap on the back of the phone?
A: A Kickstand

Q: What is the black hole on the back of the device?
A: Another microphone for noise cancellation.

Q: What are the holes on the bottom of the device?
A: HDMI and mini USB.

Q: What is the button near the bottom on the right side of the device?
A: That is a camera button.

Q: What was your inspiration for this concept?
A: A combination of the new Asus Windows Phone, the Nexus One, Zune HD, and the iPhone 4. Camera is based on some found in the Nokia N series.


Okay I know its a concept and such, however I would like to critique your work if i may not too many points but just a few observations I saw whilst looking at the design.


1) You used capacitive buttons (not a problem most, lots of phones have them however you will also find most people prefer real buttons as opposed to the capacitive type. (though you did leave a bezel /dead point where it would be harder to accidently touch the capacitive buttons)


2) The screen on the device is edge to edge, though this looks fantastic you will find it is very hard to a) implement this in real life; screens needs a small 'perimeter', b) as the phone is small and sleek most peoples 'man hands' would dwarf the phone (not a problem) but becomes a problem when your holding the phone and also activating elements on the capacitive touch screen with your abductor pollicis bravis muscle, hence why on most phone you will see normally a 1mm perimeter around the phone screen.

3) for the same reason the camera button needs to be a few mm higher too, if you grip it tightly you will also be activating the camera, remember this is a WP7, where the camera can be activated even in standby.

4) I dont understand the reason why you have taken the speaker so high up on the bezel, in your design your have the screen, then your have a small space where the LED is and then you have the bezel, other than a space constraint why would you take the speaker so high up? it should be in line with the LED.

5) the volume buttons also i believe are a bit small, think how small your phone is and then compare this to your buttons; they are minuscule and need to be larger. Last thing you want to be doing whilst on a call is looking for buttons for volume control


Anyways there are a few more gripes but otherwise its a fantastic design and cant imagine the effort it must have took to produce it, well done!
 
vangrieg
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 2,499
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdawood View Post
cant imagine the effort it must have took to produce it, well done!
Which brings me to the question that bugs me: why do people do these things?
 
paperclips
Old
(Last edited by paperclips; 10th August 2010 at 11:01 PM.)
#8  
paperclips's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Thanks for your advice, I'll try to answer theses qualms for the most part and implement them while I'm at home.

1. Yah, I thought about that. I'm still thinking of what kind of buttons would look nice enough to not ruin the design.

2. This was purely for aesthetics as you noticed. I'll add a strip of metal to the side when I'm home later.

3. Will work on this.

4. Speaker alignment is something I got off my Droid incredible. I might change up the margins a bit later.

5. True, this will be an easy fix when I get home.

I'll include a few more minor updates on the concept later today. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdawood View Post
Okay I know its a concept and such, however I would like to critique your work if i may not too many points but just a few observations I saw whilst looking at the design.


1) You used capacitive buttons (not a problem most, lots of phones have them however you will also find most people prefer real buttons as opposed to the capacitive type. (though you did leave a bezel /dead point where it would be harder to accidently touch the capacitive buttons)


2) The screen on the device is edge to edge, though this looks fantastic you will find it is very hard to a) implement this in real life; screens needs a small 'perimeter', b) as the phone is small and sleek most peoples 'man hands' would dwarf the phone (not a problem) but becomes a problem when your holding the phone and also activating elements on the capacitive touch screen with your abductor pollicis bravis muscle, hence why on most phone you will see normally a 1mm perimeter around the phone screen.

3) for the same reason the camera button needs to be a few mm higher too, if you grip it tightly you will also be activating the camera, remember this is a WP7, where the camera can be activated even in standby.

4) I dont understand the reason why you have taken the speaker so high up on the bezel, in your design your have the screen, then your have a small space where the LED is and then you have the bezel, other than a space constraint why would you take the speaker so high up? it should be in line with the LED.

5) the volume buttons also i believe are a bit small, think how small your phone is and then compare this to your buttons; they are minuscule and need to be larger. Last thing you want to be doing whilst on a call is looking for buttons for volume control


Anyways there are a few more gripes but otherwise its a fantastic design and cant imagine the effort it must have took to produce it, well done!
Really? I thought of all my inspirations, that was the one it looked the least like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridox View Post
This looks like an iPhone-esque clone with WP7 on it to me... meh.
I do it for the same reason I do most of my art. Which is to get my ideas down on paper/computer. I always wanted to design hardware and thought I might as well give it a shot while I'm off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg View Post
Which brings me to the question that bugs me: why do people do these things?
 
paperclips
Old
#9  
paperclips's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 160
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Updated with physical buttons, smaller top, bigger volume buttons, repositioned camera button, new flash image, and increased the width.
 
nicc51591
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 29
Join Date: Jun 2008
Looks sexy, I would buy it

I didn't see the first one but I'm sure it looked almost as nice.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Microsoft Finally Brings Remote Desktop to Windows Phone

You may recall that back in October of last year, Microsoft released itsofficial … more

SideControl Gains New Powers through Xposed

You may recall that a little overa month ago, we first talked about SideCutsby XDA Forum … more

Leak Points to Windows Start Menu’s Return as Soon as August

About a month ago at this year’s Build conference, Microsoft … more

Wearables Walkthrough: Tasker on the Samsung Galaxy Gear – XDA Developer TV

The future certainly looks like it is full of wearables. … more