FrameMe - The easy way to show off your favorite photos [Update 4-29-11]
So, this is my first attempt at programming for android. Well, my first attempt at java as well. Regardless, I am pleased with the outcome and though I would share. As a father of four, I always like keeping a photo of my kids handy. The gallery is nice, but not for a quick, "Have you seen my daughter recently" situation. So I went to the market... Surprisingly I didn't find much. At least not much that did what I wanted. So, here is what I wanted and what I currently have.
Application Website is http://deanstudios.net/dev/frameme
- 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 2x2 Widgets
- full screen image when clicked
- multiple widgets supported
- selectable picture frames
- Crop image when selecting
- Full widget preview on your background
- Click on one widget - Fling to the others
- Click on widget and fling through images in user selected directory
- timed rotation of widget image in directory mode
- Reconfigure existing widgets
- Atrix external SDCard support
- Frameless image
- Test it out and let me know if you find something else.
- Add additional frames
- Add better support for hdpi devices. Need something to test with though.
As you can see it is pretty simple and straight forward. For me, it also does the job well. I have other ideas for it, feature wise as well as new frames. I am hoping to have time to implement them. However, I do have four kids so we will see. If there is interest, I might throw it into the market as well. For now, you can download it at the links below.
If you enjoy this app and want to support me it is available in the market for $0.99. It will always be available here free so don't worry. The QR Code below will take you directly to the market page. If you have bought it and enjoy it please consider rating it.
I would love to hear what you think and what device you are using it on if you have something other than a Hero. As it is, it was designed to support mdpi and android 2.1. Enjoy!
- FrameMe 1.3.5 - Several other memory related issues have been corrected. There is also the addition of a "No Frame" option when choosing your frame. An about screen was also added and available from the app drawer as well as the full screen image menu. Support for the Atrix's external sd card was also included.
- FrameMe 1.3.3 - Added additional work-around's for the "out-of-memory" issues. Should most of the FCs due to bitmap creation and use. Hopefully you notice a difference.
- FrameMe 1.3.1 - I am sorry 1.3.1 took so long to get here. There are some serious bugs in the Droid X gallery that I found in the last release. It took me a while to find a solution that didn't break all the other phones out there. Now 1.3.1 works on Droid X as well. (at least with my testers). I also added three new frames including one to go along with HTC Sense or similar design. Hope you enjoy.
- FrameMe 1.3.0 - Okay, so a lot of you have been asking for a 2x2 widget and cycling of the image in the widget. Well, 1.3.0 brings all that and a little more. Not only was a 2x2 widget added, but a 1x2 and 2x1 as well. For those widgets using the directory option you can also have the displayed image cycle through images in the directory at a user set interval. Under the hood there has been several performance optimizations and that pesky Galaxy S bug is now dead as well. It should work on all the phones in the series. Also, landscape images are shows in landscape mode so you don't loose half the image. For now, that is about it. Again, I am sorry you have to redo all your widgets but it was necessary to support different widget sizes.
- FrameMe 1.2.0 - Version 1.2.0 has had quite a bit of code rewritten. For starters the configuration screen now shows a full widget preview on your own wallpaper. The frame selection is now graphical and pressing menu when a widget is clicked provides an option to reconfigure that widget. There have also been some minor bugs squashed in the directory mode functionality.NOTES: Database has changed, please remove widgets before upgrading.
- FrameMe 1.1.2 - Addition of several new frames. Directory mode was tweaked to allow the thumbnail image to be used as the first image when clicked.NOTES: For Directory enabled widgets, the thumbnail image will be in the rotation twice if it was selected from an image within the target directory.
- FrameMe 1.1.1 - Corrected the memory issues in the directory option. It now can support unlimited images in a directory.NOTES: Images are loaded and scaled in real time. To improve fling speed size your images appropriate for your phone. It will work regardless though.
- FrameMe 1.1.0 - Added the ever requested directory option. Now you can bind a widget to a directory on your sdcard and when clicked it will fling between the images in that directory. Thumbnail image is not required to be in that directory and still shows in the fling list for other non-directory widgets. NOTES: This modifies the database so you will need to re-add you current widgets. Also, it is easy to run out of memory when pointing to a directory with lots of images. It does resize though to help with this.
- FrameMe 1.0.1 - Added the Rustic Edge frame & code cleanup.
- FrameMe 1.0.0 - Corrected a few bugs with canceling out of the config screen without selecting an image. Removed the fling action if only one widget (image) is available. Code cleanup.
- KidFrame 1.3 - Added a few more frames. Also made it so if you click on an widget to get a full size image you can now fling (swipe) and it will cycle through all widget images without having to close and click again. First image delays a little while it is processing and I am not completely sold on it yet. Also added my icon in the correct place for hdpi devices.
- KidFrame 1.2 - Created resized thumbnails for display on the widget. This should help with memory resources and allow the number of widgets to be almost unlimited. Also added a third frame (was just playing with frames).
- 1.1 - Link above has been updated with the newest version: Code has been rewritten to us a database back-end. Configurations now are kept after a reboot. The selected image is now user cropped and resized so it should not limit the number of widgets you can add. Hopefully there will be more to come.
-~= P h i l D 4 1 =~-
Moto X DE - Xposed
GNex VZN - Paranoid
"Human igonorance and stupidity will never come between you and the will of God."
-- Dr. William Dean