Eclair Working On My US Unlocked Streak!

Search This thread

MSigler

Apr 29, 2006
Memphis
www.sigsays.com
Here.

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=315788&view=findpost&p=1376331

Wow guys. Great stuff.
Just got it working on my stock Sim-free (unlocked) Dell Streak bought from Dell
I had the same issue last night so was thinking of waiting for the official release.

I am not sure why are people going back to 1.6. Even this is Beta, it is way better than the original one.
It's snappy and everything works. I actually liked the new keyboard. Also, Swype starts working with no force closing.
I didn't have any issue with Market.

Anyways, for those who couldn't get this running on 00 model, I had to flash it to 21.
The only drawback is it now shows O2 logo (which is removable). Its still unlocked as I am using it on 3 Australia.

Apart from what everyone has quoted here on getting this running, I had to:
1. Flash the Koush's custom Recovery (Thread, Directlink)
2. Install the Modaco ROM using Recovery. You need to select Update.pkg which will start the custom recovery. In custom recovery screen, choose option to apply rom update.zip - I think 2nd option from the menu. (this changes the Model to 21) (Thread, Directlink)
3. Flash stock Recovery (Thread, Directlink)

Just place the .img file from here into the same folder as in step 1 and rename it to the .img file name there. Follow the same steps on how to install Recovery using fastboot.

4. Place 2.1 package from this thread and rename it to Update.pkg in root of SD
5. Install the 2.1 beta from Recovery (i.e. PowerOff, PowerON + VolUp + VolDown)

The first time it started, I logged into Google account via 3G rather than Wifi (it might have worked otherwise, I guess)
Everything worked. I didn't have much to back up except apps which I did through Astro File Manager (Free).

Multi-touch works on the games I tested so far. The system looks more stable. I also did a few test calls. I was running System Lite to view the apps/processes running in the background. I experienced better task management, may be thanks to Eclair.

I can find two minor bugs so far:
* Although I couldn't reproduce it after booting the device, my screen orientation stopped changing automatically (May be caused by some app)
* You can't drag apps from the drop-down application list to the Home screen. (Work around is to add it directly from the Home using Short-cuts > Applications)

EDIT: Just updated some links for people who don't know their way arounds.

Please let me know if you need more help, with step by step guidance. I personally thinks it's not needed as everything is in these threads.

Greenarcher707

Oct 1, 2006
Yay Area 707
im.rich
well done looking forward to the HOW TO and welcome to the streak family :)

Thank you sir, glad to be here. Please take a look at MSigler's post because that's exactly how i did it. But here is a step by step guide with links.

1. Install Koush's Custom Recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=754563

2. Flash Modaco Custom ROM
http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/312386/30-jun-r1-4399-modaco-custom-rom-for-the-dell-streak-with-online-kitchen/

3. Download 2.1 Update
http://www.mediafire.com/?bb9cvm5uaap2z8k
Save it to the root of your memory card and rename it to Update.pkg

4. Flash Stock Recovery
http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/314313/how-to-get-your-streak-back-to-factory-condition/
Just follow steps 1,3,4,5,6,7 (download the stock recovery, ignore the stock ROM)

5. Optional Root
http://www.mediafire.com/?o583zkt5hvhu5ma
Save anywhere on your memory card, use a file manager to install it. Run, then you have instant root with unroot option.

When it reboots you should have 2.1 with no market issues.

Last edited:

foxfire235

Oct 14, 2009
this seems like too many steps. I had success just by using stock everything (recovery and rom) and then flashing 2.1 using the stock method. Root works too!

zwuncki

Aug 21, 2005
With a non o2 UK device?

This is for people who need o2 ROM first. And you can only get it f.e. with an unlocked Dell that way. ;)

zwuncki

Aug 21, 2005
Regular method didn't work with mine since i had a 00 unit. Had to find someway to update to a newer build.

Me, too. Have a 31 UK unlocked device.

But with the above method I got stuck at the dell logo. So I posted my method at the Modaco forum (after step 3, flash original 21 Dell o2 ROM, then 2.1 ROM)...

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
Greenarcher... THAT ROCKS. Excellent directions...not a single problem encountered.
Thank G O D!!
Any chance you'd have a suggestion on how I can remove the O2 boot screen?
2.1 is great... cant wait for 2.2 on the Streak.

Bizzach

Nov 1, 2006
Houston
I just wanted to give a public THANK YOU!
I have a 00 beta US Streak and the Modaco and StreakSmart methods I'd tried to get 2.1 resulted in a "e: no signature / verification failed" error. I followed your method here exactly, and now I have 2.1 working on my US beta (not ATT) Streak!!
Thanks so much man! :)

shadowfactor

Aug 15, 2010
Hello,
I'm new to the fourms.
I have the Euro Unlocked Dell streak Model number ending in 00. ( Im in the US using the device on AT&T)

I'm trying to do this update.

Ive installed the Custom recovery software or so I think I did.
Followed the instructions, it says Fastboot Download done on the streak after I run the program to flash to a custom recovery software. ( just sticks on this screen) so I removed the battery.

and then copied the files for the custom rom to the SD and renamed the zip file Update.zip ( exactly as shown)

Boot the phone into recovery and choose the 2nd option ( the Update option) hit the camera button then I just get a blank screen....

I listed exactly what I have done. Is there anything that I'm missing or not doing exactly right ??

Thanks!

Passe28

Apr 8, 2010
I've done it a little different on my German 00 device. I installed the stock recovery and simply applyed the update normaly.
Stock recovery: See Thread "How to get your Streak back to factory condition" (Option 1)
instead of using the stock Official Dell ROM I took the 2.1 ROM

First I had a few Problems with the Icons on the Home-Screen, wiped the device again, works nice

Last edited:

Greenarcher707

Oct 1, 2006
Yay Area 707
im.rich
@cue_32 - No problem, happy to help out. I'm still looking for that elusive stock boot logo as well.
@Bizzach - I'm glad everything worked out for you.
@shadowfactor - Try using the old custom recovery, the newest build causes that black screen error for some odd reason. Hope that helps, if not let me know.

shadowfactor

Aug 15, 2010
brilliant! The older custom recovery software worked!

Question tho. How do I get rid of the 02 splash screen ?

Running 2.1. will post if I have any issues

Thanks alot!

Greenarcher707

Oct 1, 2006
Yay Area 707
im.rich
Download one of these: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=696193

Rename the file to bootanimation.zip place in system/media (you will need to use root explorer and make sure the permissions are set to read and write. Works and looks great.

2.gif

Last edited:

shadowfactor

Aug 15, 2010
In 2.1 I tried to open Market.

but when signing into my google account I get the following error.

You do not have a network connection. I'm connected thru my wifi connection at my house so I no its not a cell connection issue...
I've read problems about market not connecting. Any suggestions or a link to a fix ?

Thanks.

( Euro Unlocked streak ) ( US AT&T)

Last edited:

Greenarcher707

Oct 1, 2006
Yay Area 707
im.rich
I personally use Titanium Backup for stuff like that, or sync all contacts with your google account for easy recovery. I haven't tried the Dell Sync Client.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk