Help with Audio Mod... [Need help from an Android Dev]

Search This thread

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
Ok, basically my linux knowledge is very limited and i need help modifying a file that gets written on boot (i don't know if this would even work, so if someone could answer that it would be very much appreciated).

The file i'm looking to change is '/sys/module/q6audio/parameters/speaker_max_gain'. In the latest 2.1 build this file is set to '602', which i think explains the slight volume increase from 1.6 (it was set to '600', but located in 'sys/module/msm8k_cad_volume/parameters/handset_max_gain' instead)

So, does anyone know how to alter this file? I know it gets re-written every time you boot the phone, but i can't find where it's being written from. Is it a kernel thing or am I completely wasting my time with this?

Cheers :D

Last edited:

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
UPDATE - Thanks to @VogelDerNacht, i've tried a few things like trying to change the value in the init.rc (echo "value" > sys/module/q6audio/parameters/speaker_max_gain) which didn't work, and i then tried to use a sysctl.conf in /system/etc/ to do the same thing, which also didn't work (don't think the kernel supports this), so now i'm pretty stuck :(
It seems like i may have to wait for the kernel source to be release now ><

DJ_Steve

Apr 10, 2007
sunderland
www.dmpwap.net
how about creating a simple shell script and having it execute as a service from one of the init scripts ?

its possible the sys entry is not created until later in the boot sequence

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
how about creating a simple shell script and having it execute as a service from one of the init scripts ?

its possible the sys entry is not created until later in the boot sequence

could you give me an example please? i'm pretty new to all this linux stuff :p

The problem seems to be that when i add the line in to the init.rc (or any of the init files) it gets overridden by something else (probably the kernel) and i can't get it to apply my changes. I can change it fine whilst the phone is running, but that doesn't do anything because i think these files only get read from once when the phone boots.
I could be completely wrong though, like i said, my linux knowledge is pretty bad ><

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
their should be a simple script (.sh extension) in /system/etc that you may be able to edit to add echo *your value > sys path to end of

Tried that. Tired editing the init.rc, that didn't help. I tried adding a sysctl.conf but i don't think the kernel supports it. I tried editing every .sh file i could find but it looks like the kernel just overwrites everything :(

DJ_Steve

Apr 10, 2007
sunderland
www.dmpwap.net
ok if you fancy a hand trying to get the volume to boost drop me a pm as i woudln mind being a tester ffor playing with werid options (and since iport android anyway i know my way around :)