[Official] HSG (X5A/X6) & Pandawill G11 rooting/dev thread (SetCPU & Root working!)
Chinese-manufactured devices, with Korean cpu.. The midX5a / midx6 are both Telechips-based tablets. They're very similar to the Augen device, except they have the actual HDMI port, 300M /data, correct /cache size and a 3.5" headphone jack
The Pandawill G11 seems to be a rebranded version of this hardware using the same firmware(s).
Note: There are older versions of this hardware with no HOME/MENU/BACK buttons, running WinCE. These cannot be upgraded to Android as far as we know right now.
TODO / What's not working:
- Add more languages (like Dutch!)
- Cleanup included languages (Georg77cz is working on cz/cs translation.)
- Find out how to increase /data to the full 3.3GB that's available on internal NAND (hexedit LK.ROM?)
SetCPU (fc's after moving slider)
Working! See attachment![/strike]
Can't seem to enter recovery by hardware buttons
Working, connect USB and use Rom Manager to reboot into recovery!
Unpack tcc_8900mtd files Naobsd figured it out, thanks!
Unpack system.img Naobsd figured out to patch unyaffs!
Repack system.img Naobsd released tools for this.
Unpack boot IMG, figure out base & pagesizes
(4096 page size, base 0x40000000)
- We have Clockworkmod working as of 20-8!
Can't boot into recovery from ADB
- (From firmware #348 this is fixed..)
(Works in #348 and wipes properly using the recovery reboot.)
(As of firmware release #348)
- Custom recovery (Clockworkmod)
- Calibration (You must hold the stylus at the spot for some time.)
- Telechips FWDN firmware recovery (via WinXP/2K)
- Telechips USB host booting method with empty(!) nand
- Rotation with 'RotateD' from market
- YouTube HD
(Just push the Evo4G Youtube.apk)
Note there are similar models. Visit the HSG website and note the right side button spacing/placement.
Link: HSG Website
The model this topic is about, has the buttons spaced across the right side.
The other model that is not from HSG appears to be non-available from China sellers right now, or not in production yet for unknown reason. (sensor rumours)
Another third model has popped up, it's basically the same hardware in APAD casing with metal back plate.
I moved this thread over here from Slatedroid since it got filled with non-dev talk, and thier hosting keeps going offline. I hate it when i can't backtrack to my own findings
- MIDX6 has on-board rotation sensor, but it's apparently not working in the firmware yet.
- MIDX6 has optional 3G / GPS inside
- MIDX5A is the basic model with no sensor/3G/GPS. (The rest is the same.)
- CPU Runs at 720Mhz stock
- Has HDMI port
- Has a normal 3.5" jack for headphones
- One speaker, and one microphone inside.
- Runs Android 2.1 eclair-update1
- No GPS/3G/Orientation sensor inside
- Linpack score around 4.9 with no mods / clean os.
top body, plastic bottom
- Mine came with 2x 1300mA battery inside!
- Battery lasts really long, i can run for ~6-7 hours at work with wifi on.
I've used the device for about 3 days now with firmware #297, and it's very fast to use & works like a charm. It has a very solid build quality with a metal top on a thick plastic bottom, making it feel like a quality product. Market worked out-of-the-box with no fuss or hacks. Touchscreen is responsive, but resistive. If you want to slide, push down your finger first, then slide (don't hit-and-run or do a driveby with you finger on the screen).
Battery life is pretty damn good. I've been using it for at least 6-7 hours in one go, with wifi while debugging and ADB and such. The screen is nice & bright, and even if it's a resistive screen it works OK.
The main reason for an initial slow reaction from the screen, is that the CPU is downclocked to 36Mhz when you are not doing anything.
Edit: This is sorted with SetCPU 2.01! After the first wipe/slide it goes up to 720Mhz.(Yes, that's 120 Mhz more than the Augen!)
Note to posters: Please keep this thread clean. If it's not about rooting or dev, do not post it here please. Thank you!