Question About unrEVOked Forever and the S Protection on/off.

Search This thread

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010
Question About unrEVOked Forever and the S Protection on/off....

Is there any reason to actually use it? My phones fully rooted, NAND is unlocked etc so do I really need it? I mean I know I can do everything I need to do now but what was the purpose of turning S Protect on and off? I read the thread, I saw what it said about being able to flash official updates but then still being able to go back to rooted ones but WHY is this important?

I'm just trying to understand WHY I may or may not want to do this and what ill affects it might have down the road.

kaediil

Apr 15, 2010
Unrevoked currently permanently unlocks/roots the phone. While it is conceivable that Sprint/HTC might patch this exploit in the future, the prevailing sentiment is that they won't because it would break the legitimate Evo engineering phones.

What it does is unlock the phone at a level below the radio and normal hboot/rom process. So, if you take an OTA update in the future, you may lose root on that new rom, but you will still be unlocked and so can reinstall the custom recovery and root.

This currently is a permanent unlock with no known way to relock it and no promise/guarantee that it will ever be reversible. So, you have permanently voided your warranty for the ability to hopefully never lose root in the future.

-frank

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010
So what your saying is... If I ever need to file an insurance claim on my phone, it's best that it falls into a lake. :D

Here is another question then.

Can Sprint/HTC force an OTA on you that would kill the current root? If not then there really isn't any reason to use unrEVOked right now for me, I know not to take official OTA's. I know it would have been handy for some people, the ones who took the official OTA 2.2 like idiots because they couldn't wait. Look what being impatient got them! I knew when it dropped it was bad news. Hell, I'm still on Fresh Rom 1.0.1 (Eclair 2.1, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. You know what I mean?

Well, I DID try a couple rooted 2.2 ROMS but I knew to wait is what I was saying. Being in a rush can come back to bit you in the ass sometimes, like it did for some many. Guess my only concern is forced updating by Sprint. Never heard of such a thing but you never know. If that was even a remote possibility, turning the protection lock off could be a good thing I guess.

Last edited: