XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone 7 – Released To Manufacturing

Tip us?

TAEL
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Default Windows Phone 7 – Released To Manufacturing

Today is the day that the Windows Phone team has been driving towards, and we’re very excited to say that we’ve reached the biggest milestone for our internal team – the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Windows Phone 7! While the final integration of Windows Phone 7 with our partners’ hardware, software, and networks is underway, the work of our internal engineering team is largely complete.
Windows Phone 7 is the most thoroughly tested mobile platform Microsoft has ever released. We had nearly ten thousand devices running automated tests daily, over a half million hours of active self-hosting use, over three and a half million hours of stress test passes, and eight and a half million hours of fully automated test passes. We’ve had thousands of independent software vendors and early adopters testing our software and giving us great feedback. We are ready.
I last posted on this blog when we reached the Technical Preview milestone, and we’ve received some great feedback since then which we’ve been able to respond to and improve the smart design throughout the OS. For example, folks loved the Facebook integration in the People Hub, but they also wanted ways to filter their contacts so only the Facebook friends they really know will show up in their contact list – we’ve added support for that. We’ve also made it easy to “like” a post right from the People Hub, or quickly post a message to someone’s Facebook wall directly.
This has been one of the most incredible product development efforts I’ve ever been a part of. Today’s milestone is exciting not just because of what we’ll deliver to customers later this year, but how it sets us up for success over the long term in the mobile space… we’re really just getting started.
We reached today’s milestone because of the tremendous efforts of the entire team including our partners, early adopters, and independent software developers providing feedback. I want to send a huge THANK YOU to this extended team– we couldn’t have done it without you!

by Terry Myerson
Windows Phone Blog
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_p...facturing.aspx
Device: Galaxy Note SM-N9005
ROM: Latest Samsung Official ROM

~~Tito~~
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 80
To general!

~~Tito~~
My Device(s):
Phone: T-Mobile HTC One HBOOT Status: S-Off ROM: InsertCoin Accesories: Bear Motion Premium Slim Back Cover

This phone is amazing. Bravo HTC, bravo .

My Twitter My Google+

vetvito
Old
Thanks Meter 178
They're listening, that's great news by itself.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If they want to get this right they better be listening.
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Phone: Dell Venue Pro 16GB
"Ask not what your smartphone can do for you - ask what you can do for your smartphone. Ask not what developers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of smartphones."

gom99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I wonder how long it will take them to move to silverlight 4 so they can get the clipboard support. Also I wonder how long before we'll see ie9 integrated into there as well.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Here's what I want to see:

1. HTML5
2. Silverlight/Flash in browser (I know flash is planned)
3. Copy/Paste
4. 3rd Party Multitasking
5. Thumb Drive Support even if it's restricted access to what's viewable.
"Ask not what your smartphone can do for you - ask what you can do for your smartphone. Ask not what developers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of smartphones."

gom99
Old
(Last edited by gom99; 2nd September 2010 at 05:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloc View Post
1. HTML5
I don't understand why people want this so bad recently. I can't think of a single site that even has a html5 version yet alone HTML5 only. Not that I'm saying they shouldn't use it...but it's hardly on my radar of things to care about.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just because it's the newest standard and it won't be long before sites are implementing it. I've looked at the docs and it has some pretty cool stuff built-in. I'd just like to see MS stay up with the lastest and greatest.

gom99
Old
(Last edited by gom99; 2nd September 2010 at 05:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloc View Post
Just because it's the newest standard and it won't be long before sites are implementing it. I've looked at the docs and it has some pretty cool stuff built-in. I'd just like to see MS stay up with the lastest and greatest.
I think it'll be a rather long time (5-10 yrs) before anyone major decides to really make a site really dependent on HTML5/CSS3. The reality is it takes a long time for people to migrate to newer technologies ie. a decade later and we're supporting IE6 and XP. I can see using it as an enhancement for people capable of viewing that content. But you still want your site to be designed for non-HTML5 content if you want to appeal to everyone.

From a web development point of view, you're also stepping into a mindfield as browser compatiblity is concerned.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gom99 View Post
I think it'll be a rather long time (5-10 yrs) before anyone major decides to really make a site really dependent on HTML5/CSS3. The reality is it takes a long time for people to migrate to newer technologies ie. a decade later and we're supporting IE6 and XP. I can see using it as an enhancement for people capable of viewing that content. But you still want your site to be designed for non-HTML5 content if you want to appeal to everyone.

From a web development point of view, you're also stepping into a mindfield as browser compatiblity is concerned.
Honestly I don't really care all that much. It's just because the iphone has it