Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] SnapSwap - Android Photoswap clone

Tip us?

Ciela
Old
(Last edited by Ciela; 16th September 2010 at 01:54 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [APP] SnapSwap - Android Photoswap clone

Hi all

Im new here so I hope this is posted right. Ive developed an Android app that is similar to the iPhone Photoswap app. For those not aware, Photoswap lets you take a photo and send it to a random person, and you will in return receive a random photo back. You can then take part in picture-conversations with the person who you received a photo from.

Ive had a couple people testing my app and it seems to just about ready (apart from using the default app icon), and I'd like to put it out there for others to start using (and hopefully provide some feedback on ) Im new to android development (although not new to programming itself), and this is my first android app. IMHO it works better than the similar Picswap app that exists already, as this doesnt force-close constantly or throw-out error messages regarding "corrupt" images

I have attached the APK with my post for anyone who wishes to download and install it

There is a known issue with the app at the moment that it does not (at least on HTC devices) delete any photos that you have taken, and they still appear in your Photos app. From what Ive found, using the camera Intent saves 2 copies of the photo to the SD card, and Ive only found one path from the URI to delete (so 1 copy is deleted, but the other remains). These can be deleted from the Photos app still however, but Im looking into how to delete these automatically from the app also.

Edit: The app also starts with a blank screen (no default image yet), just press the menu key to begin

Edit 16th September: New APK uploaded, fixes some threading issues and adds debug log output. Please download and install this as the old one may continue to run in the background and not pause properly when changing apps.

For those having issues, please use aLogCat (from the market) and filter by "SnapSwap" to access the debug log. Please PM me a copy of this along with your phone model and android version and I will look into it Most issues so far seem to be with Cyanogen Mod and Motorola users
Attached Files
File Type: apk Snapswap.apk - [Click for QR Code] (13.9 KB, 1589 views)

redbull320
Old
(Last edited by redbull320; 7th September 2010 at 08:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
hay, i'm one of the beta testers,

and this app is really nice
i hope the optic would be a bit better in the next beta :P , but it makes fun to "swapping" pictures with other testers !

it is much faster then "a world of photo" it never take longer then 10sec since i get a picture

Really nice and weLL done :P

Greetings from germany !

orb3000
Old
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3033
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for sharing!
orb

HTC One M8 - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognizes that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

Ciela
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Im going to try make an icon for it soon along with a default image to be shown as well, and adjust the polling time with the server for replies (or even look at adding a push notification system to it)

Ciela
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Just updated the APK in my original post to fix some bugs as at least one user was not being assigned a unique ID properly, updated the server to watch for this also.

For those that have already installed the app, I recommend installing this one over it

If those that have installed it could provide some feedback it would also be greatly appreciated

seaman2k
Old
Thanks Meter 969
nice idea i like it , i will share my photo with others sounds good
i will feed u back

nolageek
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I downloaded, installed and when i took a pic it immediately force closed.
HTC Jewel (EVO 4G LTE) | Currently running some ICS beta | G1 Wallpaper Template | Managed & Cloud Hosting by WebNet Hosting

Phaze13
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Oh great, twenty bucks you get some picture of some dudes junk or some other nasty pic.

Smells of Chatroulette.........
Samsung GalaxyS III I747
ROM: CM10.1
Kernal:3.0.57
Modem: UCDLK3

--------------------------------------------
Nexus 7
ROM: CM10.1
Kernal:3.1.10

foxdog66
Old
Thanks Meter 43