Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,713 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Emulator Skin] HTC HD2 Emulator Skin for Device Emulator / Visual Studio Designer

Tip us?

FreeDee
Old
(Last edited by FreeDee; 16th September 2010 at 08:22 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Post [Emulator Skin] HTC HD2 Emulator Skin for Device Emulator / Visual Studio Designer

Hey,

this is my first contribution here on xda-developers and I hope you like it.

Overview
I've created a new skin for Microsoft Device Emulator and the designer view of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (2005). It is based on the HTC HD2 device and it looks so much more appealing than the outdated Pocket PC skin that the emulator / vs uses by default.
In addition to the improved looks, the skin offers more advantages:
  • The WVGA Emulator window now vertically fits on your desktop when using FullHD (1920x1080) resolution (or higher).
  • You have most of the buttons that modern devices use available: Send, Home, Start Menu, Back, End.
  • Modernized Windows Mobile application development/debugging experience.
    (I know of the imminent release of the first Windows Phone devices, but I'm sure development for WM will continue for quite a while, especially on xda-developers. )

Screenshots (Click for full size)
HTC HD2 skin (left)
Default old Pocket PC skin (right)

Visual Studio Designer

Installation
The archive should be extracted to Program Files\Windows Mobile 6.5.3 DTK\PocketPC\Deviceemulation [Program Files (x86) on 64 bit operating systems]
Changing the emulator skin ist easy: Just click File->Configure...->Display and point the Skin textbox to the newly installed skin xml file.
For changing the Visual Studio Designer please refer to the instructions posted here: Form Factor 800 x 480

Notes
You can rotate the device by clicking the first of the two icons on the upper right hand corner. The other icon lets you reset the emulator.
Skin was tested with Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Developer Tool Kit and Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition.

Known Issues
The hardware "Home" Button on the device does not always function as expected. According to this posting the hardware "Home" button is mapped to the Windows key (Smartphone Device Emulator table). However, when using the Pocket PC Device Emulator, the Windows key opens up the start menu, that's just how my emulator behaves. I couldn't figure out the key code for the hardware Home key - so if anyone knows the code, please send me a message.

I would like to thank:
splinter98 for his HTC HD2 MyMobiler skin (that's where I got the HD2 image from)

Version History
  • v1.0 - Initial Release

Download
Pocket_PC_Phone_WVGA_HTC_HD2-v1.0.zip

Have fun with it and let me know what you think.

fobsen
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Hey Freedee,

well done!! It looks realy good.

Greetings
LG G2 (booked)

Galaxy Nexus (stock)
HD2 Cynogen...

phatestcat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It looks very cool, but just a quick question. Where did you get the Eiffel Tower wall?

MOHSEN-UNIQUE
Old
Thanks Meter 242

DONATE TO ME
its very good tnx man

FreeDee
Old
(Last edited by FreeDee; 16th September 2010 at 08:30 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatestcat View Post
It looks very cool, but just a quick question. Where did you get the Eiffel Tower wall?
The theme is called "Rock and Republic black" and is already installed when using the latest Emulator image (Build 23090).
You can check if your device has it installed by going to Start Menu -> Settings -> Home -> Appearance

splinter98
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default You're Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDee View Post
I would like to thank:
splinter98 for his HTC HD2 MyMobiler skin (that's where I got the HD2 image from)
I thought that image looked like mine... (you can tell by the corners!) Glad you found the image useful - would try yours out if I developed apps using Visual Studio Designer but if I ever start I will be sure to check it out!

HackMimic
Old
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Looks good. should be better than what i had to do which was manually adjust the old look which sucked.
XDA is Awesome!!!

Check out my site CannApps.com where you can find all my Medical Marijuana Apps for WP7!
Also check out CannApps on Facebook as well as Twitter

trakno
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Simply Exxellent ! Thanks !

ralfred
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank's a lot for you work.

It's wonderful ...

ShinnRa
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
how to change the resolution of this skin cause on my laptop with screen size 1440x900 this skin is quite... big o_O' but standard Windows Mobile 6 Professional skin looks normal... Or there is maybe something messed in my VS config. If yes, then how to fix this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	511843  

Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) | Slim-4.4.2.build.5-OFFICIAL-4081

Tags
device emulator, emulator, htc hd2, skin, visual studio