Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

* TUTORIAL* Palm touchstone mod

Tip us?

bubby323
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1485

DONATE TO ME
This is all too complicated for the end user, maybe somebody should just reproduce this in like a battery pack. I would be willing to pay 20 or more for a mod like this. Just saying...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

austin420
Old
Thanks Meter 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby323 View Post
This is all too complicated for the end user, maybe somebody should just reproduce this in like a battery pack. I would be willing to pay 20 or more for a mod like this. Just saying...

i think the touchstone and aftermarket battery cover cost at least 70 dollars alone.

bubby323
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1485

DONATE TO ME
Well I already own a touchstone.

siptang
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Oooooh interesting.. I have two touchstones as well lol.

Roisen
Old
(Last edited by Roisen; 10th September 2010 at 04:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
i think the touchstone and aftermarket battery cover cost at least 70 dollars alone.
The technology behind it is dead simple though. It would be trivial to introduce something like this built into a battery pack. IIRC, the voltage on the receiving coil is Vr = Vs * (Cs / Cr), where Vr is the voltage on the receiving coil, Vs is the voltage on the sending coil (the touchstone base) and Cs and Cr are the number of loops in the source and receiving coils.

Therefore it would be easy to make a coil that grabbed 3.6V from the 5V touchstone and fed it directly into the battery. The only problem is that the coil plus voltage protection circuitry inside of the battery would reduce the amount of space that you could actually use for the battery. Considering how small batteries in cell phones already are, even making them a sliver thinner to fit the coil inside of the battery pack would mean a drastic drop in battery capacity.

To the OP: did you have to break any stickers to pull the circuit board out?

d94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisen View Post
The technology behind it is dead simple though. It would be trivial to introduce something like this built into a battery pack. IIRC, the voltage on the receiving coil is Vr = Vs * (Cs / Cr), where Vr is the voltage on the receiving coil, Vs is the voltage on the sending coil (the touchstone base) and Cs and Cr are the number of loops in the source and receiving coils.

Therefore it would be easy to make a coil that grabbed 3.6V from the 5V touchstone and fed it directly into the battery. The only problem is that the coil plus voltage protection circuitry inside of the battery would reduce the amount of space that you could actually use for the battery. Considering how small batteries in cell phones already are, even making them a sliver thinner to fit the coil inside of the battery pack would mean a drastic drop in battery capacity.

To the OP: did you have to break any stickers to pull the circuit board out?
the pics were taken from the fcc website, although there are no stickers!

lepapirriky
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufflez2010 View Post
Or a dumb one since Compass will no longer work.
i guess this will work perfect for the other galaxy phones

icantdrawanime
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The compass should work fine. The metal disks on the palm back cover are not magnetic. I believe they're just iron disks...

Kcarpenter
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrawanime View Post
The compass should work fine. The metal disks on the palm back cover are not magnetic. I believe they're just iron disks...
Still the strong magnetic pull from the touchstone base to keep it attached will make the compass act wonky.

I had a leather case for my hero that used a magnet to close the flap and i would have to mess with the compass for like 15 minutes to ever get it to point right again.
-----------------
-HTC EVO LTE - Stock ATM
Google+: Karl Carpenter
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/kcarpenter5407
Twitter: @KCarpenter528

bomix
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoe91z28 View Post
please to be explaining what is going on here
Haha.. was about to ask the same.. I'm so lost.. Very cool mod though