Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Guide] Backup and Flashing Recommendations, Info, and Tips

OP webs05

17th August 2010, 04:43 AM   |  #51  
OP Senior Member
Flag Quad Cities
Thanks Meter: 33

485 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozndevl

So I've managed to survive a pretty long time without needing to perform a nandroid restore. So I am in the process of restoring a nandroid from last night, and it has been running for nearly an hour. Is this normal?

I would say no, that is not normal. Nor I have I read about or experienced that issue. I'm afraid to give you advice because it is possible to brick when breaking up a flash or NAND in the middle of the process.

What recovery are you using? What was the last thing you did before attempting? Is the screen stuck on something, if so what does it say? Are you using a stock SD card or aftermarket?

Plug in your phone to attempt to keep it alive.
3rd September 2010, 04:25 AM   |  #52  
Flag Chicago Burbs
Thanks Meter: 27

627 posts
More
Which Kernel is recommended.. i am still using the eng kernel from the part 2 root instructions..
i am going to flash to 2.2 stock rooted rom(HTC-OTA-3.26.651.6-Final-Froyo-Rooted-Odexed-netarchy-signed.zip) tonight, and trying to decide if i need to upgrade my kernel.. any suggestions?
3rd September 2010, 04:40 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 2

40 posts
I've been using netarchy's kernels myself on his 2.2 rooted froyo like what you are gonna use. I was running 4.1.8 bfs and it ran great. Now I'm on 4.1.9.1 bfs and it's running like a champ. Good battery life on both although I used setcpu to underclock. People seem to like king's kernels too. I don't think you can go wrong on either.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
3rd September 2010, 02:53 PM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I just updated to fresh 3.2 and I use clockworkmod to backup. Can I do an advanced restore and only restore my apps and settings from 3.1 if so are they stored in boot,system,data,cache or sd-ext. I'm pretty sure there in data but want to make sure. If it helps I only use clockworkmod inside of recovery.
3rd September 2010, 05:38 PM   |  #55  

3 posts
It was the data file and it worked pretty good. A few apps from SD and preinstalled apps before restoring were lost but no big deal as they were in my downloads in the market so just reinstalled. Hope this helps someone. I wanted to try for awhile just couldn't find any solid info, so I took a stab in the dark. If any problems I'll post them.
4th September 2010, 03:35 PM   |  #56  
OP Senior Member
Flag Quad Cities

485 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yznhmr

Which Kernel is recommended.. i am still using the eng kernel from the part 2 root instructions..
i am going to flash to 2.2 stock rooted rom(HTC-OTA-3.26.651.6-Final-Froyo-Rooted-Odexed-netarchy-signed.zip) tonight, and trying to decide if i need to upgrade my kernel.. any suggestions?

First and foremost, make sure you have backups. Do not play around with kernels till you have a fail safe. My favorite kernels right now are anything from Kingslick. This guy works amazing hard and updates to issues people fine come really quick. When he states battery life is amazing with his kernels he isn't lying. But try a few and see what you like best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmike24

I just updated to fresh 3.2 and I use clockworkmod to backup. Can I do an advanced restore and only restore my apps and settings from 3.1 if so are they stored in boot,system,data,cache or sd-ext. I'm pretty sure there in data but want to make sure. If it helps I only use clockworkmod inside of recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmike24

It was the data file and it worked pretty good. A few apps from SD and preinstalled apps before restoring were lost but no big deal as they were in my downloads in the market so just reinstalled. Hope this helps someone. I wanted to try for awhile just couldn't find any solid info, so I took a stab in the dark. If any problems I'll post them.

So you did an advanced restore from recovery and pulled out only data? Sweet good work. I myself haven't played around with advanced restore, but it is good to know that functionality exists! Great work.
4th September 2010, 10:29 PM   |  #57  

3 posts
Thanks, considering I'm a complete amateur I'll take the compliments when ever I can. So far so good , only lost the apps that were installed by fresh 3.2 and 4 apps that I reinstalled after flashing 3.2. When I restored Data from 3.1 it wrote over the 3.2 Data. Now I'm wondering if I wrote over anything that was new/needed by fresh 3.2.
5th September 2010, 02:16 AM   |  #58  
Flag D.C.

33 posts
More
Excellent guide, I came from the PRE and I had to learn everything all over. One thing about forums I don't necessarily like. The wealth of knowledge may be in one post but you have to find it.
11th September 2010, 04:56 PM   |  #59  
OP Senior Member
Flag Quad Cities

485 posts
More
Well one thing the devs of this forum try to do is have wiki pages of important and useful posts. So hopefully you can find what you need from there. If not, just ask a question here. Might be off topic but if I know how to help I'll be glad to do so.
26th January 2011, 03:15 PM   |  #60  
OP Senior Member
Flag Quad Cities

485 posts
More
Talking
Just updated this guide with some more relevant items. I also updated the links so that they work again. The wiki links changed on me...

The Following User Says Thank You to webs05 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide
Previous Thread Next Thread