Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 55,323 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Control Panel Settings to Links (.lnk)

Tip us?

dubidu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Default [APP] Control Panel Settings to Links (.lnk)

Hi guys,

I know it's a 10 seconds job to create a link for items inside the control panel (settings) such as "Usb to PC" or "Power" but I'm too lazy to do it every time I try a new rom,
also I found some of the values change from rom to rom, so I create a really simple app that goes through the registry key which holds the settings items (KLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start) and creates a .lnk file for each of these entries.
Having a direct link allows me to add that option as a quick link which is handy 8)

Anyway, here is the tool in case someone wants it.

The exe must be installed in "\Program Files\CplLinks" (Device). It only takes 11.5 kb. The only reason the .exe is needed after the lnk are created is to provide an icon.
When you run it, it reads the HKEY mention above and creates .lnk for each item in the "Settings" menu. The lnks are created in "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CplLinks" so are directly accessible through the Programs menu.

There are no messages, it runs and creates the links, no interaction whatsoever so do not expect any nice popup window 8)

Next version will use specific icons for each item, right now, all the links use the same icon from the cpllink.exe executable.
The icons for most of the Settings are .png files rather than .ico, and WM doesn't have an easy way to convert from .png into .ico, the idea for a "future version" is to collect all the .png files,converted to icons and create a dll on the fly with the icons as resources, so they can be referenced from the .lnk files

Couple of screen shots from the emulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captures01.gif
Views:	887
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	401074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captures02.gif
Views:	871
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	401075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captures03.gif
Views:	866
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	401076  
Attached Files
File Type: cab CplLinks.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (13.4 KB, 1034 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to dubidu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Senax
Old
(Last edited by Senax; 17th September 2010 at 10:08 AM.) Reason: Because editing is fun
Thanks Meter 41
Great application! It works like a charm! Thank you for this convenient time saver

EDiT (another time saver)
After applying a Hard Reset WE have to reinstall all programs if you have previously installed them in the memory card. Often it is sufficient to recreate the shortcut in the start menu. ShortCutCreator helps you to recover the exe files and to recreate the desired shortcut.

I'm using a tweaked stock ROM Diamond 2 WM6.1 ________... There is no place like 127.0.0.1
Kitchen Utils Reviewed:
Seasoned Chefs share their knowledge of quality tools that they use in their day-to-day activities of ROM cooking.

orb3000
Old
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3029
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for sharing!
orb

HTC One M8 - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognizes that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

dubidu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
I guess would be better if I manage to provide a different icon for each link, but Icon support is quite limited inside VM. Need to work in the PNG to Icon -> .dll routine 8)
I though having the app in internal memory was a better solution than in \Storage Card, so it will take less time to load the icon from the program, but I can change it and allow that option, so the icons in the links are pointing to \Storage.. rather than \Programs..

Anyway, it just a time-saver thingy 8)

mccune
Old
Thanks Meter 50

DONATE TO ME
Nice app. It does not seem to work on WM6.1 though.

It does create a new folder structure: CplLinks\System inside the Start Menu.

NRGZ28
Old
Retired Senior Mod & Senior RD - (old) King of WinMo
Thanks Meter 10003
Very nice. It does seems to create a bunch of redundant or non-used links though
.. - Energy ROM Chef -..

Click below for ROM threads

(OneX, OneS, Amaze, Sensation, HD2, EVO 4G, Inspire 4G, Vision, Incredible 2, Desire HD, MyTouch4G)
(Asus Transformer TF101 / TF201 / TF300 )
(Kindle Fire ROM)
(Motorola Razr M)

dubidu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Yep, I saw it only works on WM6.5, on WM6.1 there are no "StartInfo\Start" in the "KLM\Security\Shell\". Not sure where it keeps that info, maybe somewhere else in the registry.

I finally managed to convert PNG to ICO, so I think next version would allow you to choose which items you want to create links for rather than just dump everything 8)

RoryB
Old
(Last edited by RoryB; 18th September 2010 at 01:31 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 679

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubidu View Post
Yep, I saw it only works on WM6.5, on WM6.1 there are no "StartInfo\Start" in the "KLM\Security\Shell\". Not sure where it keeps that info, maybe somewhere else in the registry.

I finally managed to convert PNG to ICO, so I think next version would allow you to choose which items you want to create links for rather than just dump everything 8)
WM6.1 control panel is "HKLM\ControlPanel" if I remember correctly. There will be numbers for the mycpl stuff and words for some other control panel items like backlight, etc.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III running Quantum.4
Read About Me to see what I am working on & following like CHTS, Reminder and AppTask widgets, and CHT basic function tweaks. Also, Fixed CHT restarting when you have no tasks.
Mortscript | iniEditor | regEditor| MortScripts to toggle settings
Samsung Infuse 4G drowned. If you have one check out Scott's CM10 or CM10PA Firmware
ATT Fuze (HTC RAPH110) with Energy ROM: Energy.RAPHAEL.29022.Sense2.5.Cookie.2.0.Jul.06
HTC Wizard|See about me for my ROM collection and other work

dubidu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
I think this post got lost in the last database disaster 8)

I wrote a new version of this tool that now gives you the icons for the control panel settings, check it out here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=791682

Tags
control panel settings, cpl links