5,597,397 Members 30,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3 Button Fix is not really a "Fix"?

Tip us?

davidke
Old
(Last edited by davidke; 20th September 2010 at 06:59 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down 3 Button Fix is not really a "Fix"?

I dont think the 3 button recovery mode "fix" that samsung released for Bell Canada i9000m and that was ported to work for other models is really a "Fix".

As dicussed in other threads, the original bug is on the PCB. It's a timing issue on the motherboard. The "fix" installs a software hook in the 4th level bootloader to the 3 buttons in order to trigger the recovery mode.

If you brick your phone such that it does not get to the 4BL stage ...
OR
If your phone freezes even after the 4BL stage ...

then you are **** out of luck.

Only a phone that had the 3BR working before the fix or a phone that gets a MB changed will be able to recover from being bricked.

This fix is only slightly better than installing a software that triggers recovery or using adb to force recovery mode. Basically it only works in conditions where you would not need recovery in the first place.

bigl666
Old
Thanks Meter 3
thats an assumption, but where is the proof and source?

blackdeath09
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I don't know about you but for me the recovery menu fix works great. I rooted my phone after I used that fix with the update.zip method so unless you have proves I think is better to not scary users.

xtrememorph
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I thought three limit was cause by the telco not Samsung? Read it from a post where the telco confirm they disable it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

blackdeath09
Old
(Last edited by blackdeath09; 20th September 2010 at 04:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
The idea is I don't think Samsung replaced the motherboard of the mobile phones and the prove is that Samsung Canada or something posted a method to enable recovery mode back.

davidke
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl666 View Post
thats an assumption, but where is the proof and source?
I did say "I think".... but added an ? to the title.

Based my opinion on these posts:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=390
and the serious part of this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=287

Casio1987
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My reply from another thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=8230653

Quote:
That was my first hypothetis when Samsung released the fix.

That's why I asked technical details and get some after contacting Samsung technical department, to finally speak with a tech, instead of those clueless helpdesk first and secondline helpdesk coworkers. But he couldn't give me more pointers, other than the original working 3br devices do not use the spl at all.

My hypothetis seems right if the bootloader gets overwritten by other firmware who's using spl on the respective partition.

My assumption, like I said before in this thread, is that the original 3br working devices gets triggered via the pcb, which loads the pbl with the safemode, if not on a dedicated module, maybe... That way, the users of such device can always be assured they can flash every firmware. This is how it's done with other many devices too. And that's exactly why I don't buy the story of 'not'-controlled batches by another guy here on the forums in another thread. I can understand why and that's why I'm so disappointed they continue to ship the phone with Android.

If you are like me, you need to test new firmware releases in order to test your own written code in Eclipse. Plus, I want the latest releases...

That's why I suggested to get your mobo replaced now you have the change, before Samsung goes with the spl fix as a standard procedure for future bricked phones.

But, for now, we will not know, unless somebody is disassembling a working 3br and a non working 3br device and have the electronic skills to confirm this.

Casio1987
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdeath09 View Post
I don't know about you but for me the recovery menu fix works great. I rooted my phone after I used that fix with the update.zip method so unless you have proves I think is better to not scary users.
There is no proof, if there was, there was probably a fix already or at least the technical details published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememorph View Post
I thought three limit was cause by the telco not Samsung? Read it from a post where the telco confirm they disable it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
No, I got my phone from a Samsung distro, not from any provider and it has 3br disabled.

Quote:
The idea is I don't think Samsung replaced the motherboard of the mobile phones and the prove is that Samsung Canada or something posted a method to enable recovery mode back.
That could be, then if you have 3br enabled with a firmware without the integrated fix back, it's probably a new phone without replacement.

The prove that a temporary fix exist doesn't mean it's permanent, which is for the original 3br enabled devices.

blackdeath09
Old
Thanks Meter 9
So then someone should brick his phone after installed the fix and see if he can repair it back (as a user said in the original thread)

Casio1987
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
So then someone should brick his phone after installed the fix and see if he can repair it back (as a user said in the original thread)
Under what kind of circumstances?

That doesn't prove anything, other than the fix works if the sbl isn't overwritten.
Then flash back to a firmware who does without the fix and tell me the results.

I've read in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=8230653 that someone flashed back and the fix is gone. Now you have your proof this fix isn't permanent, like I already said a bunch of times. I believe it was firmware JM1 if I can remember correctly. It was tested one time though. Try it and please report your results back.