Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi as a shared folder
Hi, thanks for your interest in this app!
If you use it, please do post feedback about success, failure, suggestions for improvement etc. Be sure to include the app version you have installed (Menu -> Settings -> About
), your Android device make, model & ROM version, and support log file if you are having problems (Menu -> Settings -> Create Support Log
- send via PM or e-mail, please dont post the log to the forums).
Am also interested to hear about copy xfer rates to/from your device. My HTC Hero gets between 700 KB/s to 1MB/s, my Asus Transformer about 2.5MB/s.
This app requires your device to already have:
- root access.
- Superuser 220.127.116.11 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with any others).
Have this app on devices running Android 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.2 & 2.3.
* The two most recent development builds are attached below.
* Or you can Install the current Android Market version
On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.
Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.
GPL: Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About
Screen shots (click to enlarge):
If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.
Dev builds attached below - To install: unzip, and either:
- ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>
- FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).
(Dev build change history)
(in no particular order)
- finish notification bar icon re-code
- Add support for NTFS formatted sdcards.
- Improve support for devices (eg Tablets) with multiple 'sdcard' type storage devices.
- multiple/more configurable shared folders, multiple user accounts.
- add in a CIFS mount manager
- Improve available characters and lengths of username, password, workgroup, netbios-name fields.
- Add additional wakelock tuning options
- toggle widget
- Add option for persistent display of app 'Menu' button items.
- look into including support for USB interface
- move this page to the Android Apps and Games