[Readme]FAQ on BlueAngel accessories

Search This thread

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
Since all the questions in this section revolve around the same few topics, here you have a FAQ with all the basic questions about BlueAngel accessories, you might have. If you are having suggestions for more topics to cover here or improvements, please feel free to contact me via pm.

Topic 1: SD CARDS

Q: I want to buy an sd card, which one will work?
A: The BlueAngel does not accept SDHC cards. Compare your sd card to the following images:
ipazoo.jpg
dlhit5.jpg

a) shows an example of a standard SD card, that offers full compatibility with the BlueAngel
b) shows an SDHC card, which is incompatible with the BlueAngel. When buying a new card, make sure, the SDHC logo is NOT present.
This means, that the maximum capacity, you can use with the BA, is 4GB, because 4GB cards exist both as standard SD and SDHC.
Changes to the interface of the established format have made some older devices designed for standard SD cards (up to 4GB) unable to handle newer formats such as SDHC (starting at 4GB). All SD cards have the same physical shape, which causes confusion for many consumers.

Q: But I found SDHC drivers on the forum, won't they make it work?
A: NO, it won't. While for other devices there are actual working sdhc drivers, there are none for the BA, no matter where you found them, they won't work!

Q: What do the numbers on the sd card mean?

A: The number in the circle gives you information about the sd card's speed.
jrrbee.jpg

There are the following classes of sd cards, giving the following writing speeds:

- Class 2: 2 MB/s
- Class 4: 4 MB/s
- Class 6: 6 MB/s
- Class 10: 10 MB/s
As you might have guessed, the higher, the better.

Q: My card does not have a class, it has a 66x (or any other x) rating, What does that mean?
A: The × rating is a unit of measurement equal to 1.2 Mbit/s. It is derived from the standard CD-ROM drive speed. See the conversion table below for details.
dmbqbt.jpg

Q: I saw dedicated cell phone cards, some others seem to be for digital cameras, what's up with that?
OR: On the back of the packaging, there is a compatibility list of devices, but the BA is not on it. Is this a bad sign?

A: It does not matter at all. Since the BlueAngel is a smart device, it can take just about any card, that meets the size restrictions. The mobile standard was introduced, back in the day, when mobile phones could not deliver the voltage needed for standard storage cards.

Q: Should I format a new bought card?
A: Although many cards come pre-formatted, you should never start using it right away. This is for 3 reasons:
1. Recently it was uncovered, that a manufacturer (not to be named here) shipped storage cards with a virus on them.
2. There could be crap on the card, that nobody needs (just like on new external hard drives).
3. You should make sure, it is formatted correctly for the best stability. See the picture below for the optimal way to format the card:

6hny2q.jpg

Last edited:

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
reserved for future use as well

please do not reply to this thread before i finish writing the faq. i might need several posts.
also, if this could be stickied and possibly closed, i'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

m1c4d0

Mar 23, 2009
TALLINN
Nokia 7 Plus
Actually Classes means that the speed never goes below the class number. For example my Samsung MicroSDHC 8GB Class 6 has speeds 10-11mb/s Write and ~13mb/s Read.

Last edited:

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
Class numbers

Actually Classes means that the speed never goes below the class number. For example my Samsung MicroSDHC 8GB Class 6 has speeds 10-11mb/s Write and ~13mb/s Read.

Class numbers are supposed to represent the minimum sustained read speads if I'm not mistaken, although on slight ocassions it is possible that the speed may drop just below it, mine did once ...

regards.

sener

Jan 6, 2008
Hi Chef_Tony,
Thank you for all these explanation.
I think you could also have made mention about Panasonic SD Formater.
That is a quite good tool to format.
You can say: "Windows can do it"
My experience will answer: "Panasonic SD Formater has posibilities that Windows don't have. I have been able to rescue (the card, not the data) a card and format it again either Windows was not able to do it... Don't ask me why"

Cheers :)

Reactions: Livoo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since all the questions in this section revolve around the same few topics, here you have a FAQ with all the basic questions about BlueAngel accessories, you might have. If you are having suggestions for more topics to cover here or improvements, please feel free to contact me via pm.

Topic 1: SD CARDS

Q: I want to buy an sd card, which one will work?
    A: The BlueAngel does not accept SDHC cards. Compare your sd card to the following images:
    ipazoo.jpg
    dlhit5.jpg

a) shows an example of a standard SD card, that offers full compatibility with the BlueAngel
    b) shows an SDHC card, which is incompatible with the BlueAngel. When buying a new card, make sure, the SDHC logo is NOT present.
    This means, that the maximum capacity, you can use with the BA, is 4GB, because 4GB cards exist both as standard SD and SDHC.
    Changes to the interface of the established format have made some older devices designed for standard SD cards (up to 4GB) unable to handle newer formats such as SDHC (starting at 4GB). All SD cards have the same physical shape, which causes confusion for many consumers.

Q: But I found SDHC drivers on the forum, won't they make it work?
    A: NO, it won't. While for other devices there are actual working sdhc drivers, there are none for the BA, no matter where you found them, they won't work!

Q: What do the numbers on the sd card mean?

A: The number in the circle gives you information about the sd card's speed.
    jrrbee.jpg

There are the following classes of sd cards, giving the following writing speeds:

- Class 2: 2 MB/s
    - Class 4: 4 MB/s
    - Class 6: 6 MB/s
    - Class 10: 10 MB/s
    As you might have guessed, the higher, the better.

Q: My card does not have a class, it has a 66x (or any other x) rating, What does that mean?
    A: The × rating is a unit of measurement equal to 1.2 Mbit/s. It is derived from the standard CD-ROM drive speed. See the conversion table below for details.
    dmbqbt.jpg

Q: I saw dedicated cell phone cards, some others seem to be for digital cameras, what's up with that?
    OR: On the back of the packaging, there is a compatibility list of devices, but the BA is not on it. Is this a bad sign?

A: It does not matter at all. Since the BlueAngel is a smart device, it can take just about any card, that meets the size restrictions. The mobile standard was introduced, back in the day, when mobile phones could not deliver the voltage needed for standard storage cards.

Q: Should I format a new bought card?
    A: Although many cards come pre-formatted, you should never start using it right away. This is for 3 reasons:
    1. Recently it was uncovered, that a manufacturer (not to be named here) shipped storage cards with a virus on them.
    2. There could be crap on the card, that nobody needs (just like on new external hard drives).
    3. You should make sure, it is formatted correctly for the best stability. See the picture below for the optimal way to format the card:

6hny2q.jpg
    reserved for future use
    wired and bluetooth handsfrees and pin layout of the headphone connector
    reserved for future use 2
    batteries
    reserved for future use 4
    Hi Chef_Tony,
    Thank you for all these explanation.
    I think you could also have made mention about Panasonic SD Formater.
    That is a quite good tool to format.
    You can say: "Windows can do it"
    My experience will answer: "Panasonic SD Formater has posibilities that Windows don't have. I have been able to rescue (the card, not the data) a card and format it again either Windows was not able to do it... Don't ask me why"

Cheers :)