Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 41,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to unbrick the soft bricked Captivate

Tip us?

The Bishop
Old
(Last edited by The Bishop; 2nd October 2010 at 11:18 PM.) Reason: updated to show this no longer works for all Captivates
Thanks Meter 1
does not seem to work because as soon as my battery touches the contacts it goes to the diag screen. do I have to release the power button in super human speed times there?

looked at all threads here, looked elsewhere -- there are some that are not fixable. Wanted to add that in case others come here and think that they might be the only ones that can't get it to work.

Ended up sending mine off to Samsung to reset today. :/

mrbloog
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I love you! I called AT&T to send me documentation to sign and it was going to cost me 125 dollars to get it replaced even with warranty. And you fixed it !

storm717
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
i have tried just about every single method detailed in these forums, and nothing works.

Trying what OP suggested just sends me to the battery charging animation screen.

Anybody have any ideas ?

jimmyyeung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default file analysis

I keep can get to the download screen and I hit start and it does the same thing everytime it just does File analysis i cant figure what i am doing wrong here somebody please help me

jimmyyeung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think the issue was it had something to do with 64 bit windows 7 i just re did the stock rom one click solution and it worked fine

Catalyst2012
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurrgan View Post
NOTE:
5. Hold volume up + volume down + Power.
6. Insert battery.
7. Release POWER BUTTON ONLY.
You should now be in immediate download mode.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I don't have a Captivate yet but am doing research on it and hopeful of getting one. I am confused about one thing.

Every where that I have read about how to enter Recovery mode or Download mode on the Captivate using the 3 button method, it says holding down both Volume UP + Volume Down (plus Power button) will enter Recovery mode. But you say it enters Download mode which is confusing to me. As I recall, to enter Download mode you must press the Vol Down only (plus Power button). Could it be because the phone won't go into Recovery mode, it goes into Download mode instead? Am I missing something?

Thank you!

askpcguy
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Download mode is for updating the phone's firmware.

Remove battery, plug in the usb cable to the phone, open ODIN on the computer (need usb drivers installed before hand) on the phone hold volume up and down then plug the phone into the computer. Your phone will say DOWNLOADING. This method works even if you run into problems and the phone refuses to boot properly.

Recovery mode is for installing Update.zip. The method is tricky but involves holding volume up/down and power, the phone will show ATT then go black. It will repeat that but after the second time it goes black let go of power.

If that doesnt work, android debug tools ADB reboot recovery will work even better.

Or root the phone and use Clockwork Rom manager to boot into recovery, just press the menu item.

Catalyst2012
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by askpcguy View Post
Download mode is for updating the phone's firmware.

Remove battery, plug in the usb cable to the phone, open ODIN on the computer (need usb drivers installed before hand) on the phone hold volume up and down then plug the phone into the computer. Your phone will say DOWNLOADING. This method works even if you run into problems and the phone refuses to boot properly.

Recovery mode is for installing Update.zip. The method is tricky but involves holding volume up/down and power, the phone will show ATT then go black. It will repeat that but after the second time it goes black let go of power.

If that doesn't work, android debug tools ADB reboot recovery will work even better.

Or root the phone and use Clockwork Rom manager to boot into recovery, just press the menu item.
Thank you askpcguy! I understand the difference between Download and Recovery modes.

So the procedural difference here is having the battery in + Power button, versus battery not in (use USB cable instead) and no Power button. Can the phone get power from the PC via the USB cable? This seems to differ from what the original poster said about download mode. Perhaps OP could edit his original post for clarification? Or am I still missing something? Thanks to all

askpcguy
Old
Thanks Meter 182
The phone does get power from the USB cable.

The difference is one procedure uses the USB cable (download mode) and the other does not (Recovery mode).

The volume up+down method does not use the power button, the phone is powered on into download mode once you plug in the USB cable.

We say pull the battery to get the phone powered off. If a firmware flash stalled or doesn't complete, pull the battery and try again!

Catalyst2012
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I now understand the precedural difference.

Thank you askpcguy!

Tags
black screen captivate, bricked captivate, download mode captivate, unbrick captivate