[TOOL] sbf Flashing in Linux for Windows with Ubuntu Live CD

Search This thread

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
Here's a custom Ubuntu LiveCD made with ADB and the Linux sbf_flash script for sbf flashing your Droid 2 if you've failed in Windows with RSDlite or just want to have the convenience of flashing with only two Linux commands.

PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING!

If you want to follow this tutorial on your existing linux setup the sbf_flash file can be found on Google

READ OR RISK BRICK If you don't have the 2.3.2 update then you can sbf with EITHER the 2.2.0 (stock) or the 2.3.2(OTA update) but only if you don't have the update yet. Once you have the 2.3.2 update (through sbf or update.zip) you can ONLY sbf with the 2.3.2.sbf

Please have your phone charged up if not completely near complete or risk dealing with the consequences
Thanks Androidnite

1. Download 2.2.0.sbf file (for Droid 2 without 2.3.2 update only) or 2.3.20 HERE (for Droid 2's that have the 2.3.20 update) and put it on a flash drive. Yes even if you have one that you used with RSDlite.(this way we know you have the right one and it's all there)

2. Download the LiveCD ISO via torrent file attached below and unzip it and open the file with your choice of torrent program then BURN the downloaded file to a blank CD with your favorite burning software(I like DVD Decrypter or Imgburn). I recommend no faster than 4x in order to prevent burning "coasters".

3. Make sure your computer's BIOS is set to boot from the CD Drive then start your computer with the Disk in the drive.

4. Wait for the language list to pop up select "English". Then select "Try Ubuntu without installing"

5. Take the flash drive you put the .sbf file on and put it in your computer’s USB port and copy it to the same directory as the sbf_flash file. It will be the “Home” folder.

6. Plug your phone in via USB now and turn it off then hold the ‘up’ arrow on the keyboard and power on the phone to go into the bootloader.

NOTE: If your phone is not in operating condition Hold the 'UP' arrow on your keyboard and power on your phone for it to be recognized by your computer by entering the bootloader.

7. Open a command prompt by ‘CTRL+ALT+T’ or Applications>Accessories>Terminal

8. Type the first command then press enter and then do the same with one of the last two commands depending on the sbf you are trying to flash.

For both sbf's
Code:
chmod +x sbf_flash

Then

For the 2.2.0 sbf ONLY*OLD SBF*

Code:
sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf
Or

For 2.3.2 sbf ONLY
Code:
sudo ./sbf_flash VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf
NOTE: every space in the .sbf's title should be taken by an underscore "_" and shouldn't contain other spaces or the command will not be recognized because it doesn't follow the command's syntax.

Now your phone should start flashing. Let it go and it should reboot in 20-30 minutes.
That should be it let me know what problems you have.

Boot Loop?
facelessuser said if you get a boot loop after flashing wipe your data and cache in recovery.
Instructions:
1. Pull your Battery.
2. Replace battery and power on while holding down the X key.
3. Wait for the android triangle to load.
4. Press the Search key (the magnifying glass)
5. Use down arrow and navigate to wipe data/factory reset and press OK.
6. Reboot phone.
These instructions are by theecho.

Not getting the updated baseband? From BP_C_01.09.05P to BP_C_01.09.07P

NOTE: Be sure to update your baseband before you load a custom ROM as the update needs to see the blur on your phone.(If you root it before updating you might not be rooted afterward I don't know).

After you sbf with the 2.3.20 sbf file above and you don't see and updated baseband then you can use the Update.zip
to update your baseband by:
1. Download the update.zip and put it in the /sdcard/ folder or the root of the sdcard (same thing)
2. Shutdown D2
3. While you hold the 'X' button on the keyboard, turn on the D2
4. You should be in Stock recovery not Clockwork Recovery.
5. Press the 'magnifying glass' (search) button on keyboard to bring the menu up
6. Use the volume buttons to scroll and the Camera button to Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'
7. Then choose 'reboot system now' and you should have an updated baseband.
Thanks for the info Quackers

First, thanks Matt4542 for putting the flashing in Linux tutorial which the commands I used were adapted from.

Next, a thanks to theecho for hosting the files for everybody’s access and making this really easy for me as I am a newbie to file hosting.

Last, but not least the inspiration for the custom Ubuntu ISO and help while making it...shad0wf0x from the XDA HTC Aria section(s) needs a thank you as well.

Please keep issues on this thread to allow faster responses.
Even if you used the RSDlite method by Darkonion first. RSDlite related posts should go there and Ubuntu method posts stay here.

Thanks and may your Droid 2 live on!

Attachments

• Droid2RecoveryISO-Ubuntu.zip
    12.5 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
I just want to say Thank you from the bottom of my heart for un-bricking my Droid 2 with the Ubunta Live CD program you created. I truly thought my phone was dead! I would very much like to send a donation your way for all the hard work you put into this. Please let me know by PM on how I can send the donation. Again, Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
lol no problem but i just enabled you to get to the flashing it was matt4542 and his linux tutorial that really fixed your phone....but if you really want to donate just head to the site where the files are hosted http://Droid2files.com and click on the donate button under my pic (yes that's what I really look like lol).

I thank you for wanting to thank me and for wanting to contribute to my well being!

p.s. think about thanking matt4542 and TheEcho for hosting the files (for FREE) and shad0wf0x for inspiring the LiveCD.

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
lol no problem but i just enabled you to get to the flashing it was matt4542 and his linux tutorial that really fixed your phone....but if you really want to donate just head to the site where the files are hosted http://Droid2files.com and click on the donate button under my pic (yes that's what I really look like lol).

I thank you for wanting to thank me and for wanting to contribute to my well being!

p.s. think about thanking matt4542 and TheEcho for hosting the files (for FREE) and shad0wf0x for inspiring the LiveCD.

Okay, donation just sent to you and TheEcho! :D

Now I just need a way to send Matt4542 and shad0wf0x their donation

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
Well Matt4542's donate link is here and I'm checking with shad0wf0x about his.

And thanks again for your donation(s)!

Last edited:

Jacklad

Jan 19, 2009
Los Angeles
Got Ubuntu installed - files transferred to "home"/ubuntu directory - phone connected in bootloader - first chmod flash command didn't seem to do anything (returned to $ prompt), 2nd sbf flash gives command not found error - what am I doing wrong?

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
Got Ubuntu installed - files transferred to "home"/ubuntu directory - phone connected in bootloader - first chmod flash command didn't seem to do anything (returned to $ prompt), 2nd sbf flash gives command not found error - what am I doing wrong?

Click on the browser icon and navigate to this page. Then try using the copy/paste feature rather than typing it in yourself.

Last edited:

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
chmod flash command didn't seem to do anything (returned to $ prompt), 2nd sbf flash gives command not found error - what am I doing wrong?

The first command changes permissions (chmod) for 'sbf_flash' giving it the ability to execute (-x) so you won't see anything unless you change directory (cd) to the file and then list it with it's permissions with ('ls -l' both being lowercase L's)

For the second one can you tell me which command it can't find.
Is it troubled with 'sudo' (do with super user priveleges) or with sbf_flash. You might not have typed it in correctly. Remember the space between 'sudo' and './'

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
I agree with shad0wf0x the EFF is helping with litigation on behalf of the Yes Men. If you don't know who they are I'd wiki them. They do some pretty amazing things.

Sorry I got off topic. lol

Last edited:

mgalceran

Oct 14, 2010

Alright, I'm having the same problem. I have bootloader up and the files transferred, here is what i typed in the terminal and what it gave me:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ chmod +x sbf_flash
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./sbf_flashDROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2 _USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
sudo: ./sbf_flashDROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I copied and pasted it directly from the post, so I don't know what is going wrong here. Please help.

zibrah3ed

Aug 16, 2010
Kansas
Sudo ./sbf_flash droid2...... The problem is the lavk of a space netween sbf_glash and the filename

mgalceran

Oct 14, 2010
Sudo ./sbf_flash droid2...... The problem is the lavk of a space netween sbf_glash and the filename

Failed again, but in a new way.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ chmod +x sbf_flash
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2 _USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
SBF FLASH 1.08 (mbm)

DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2: No such file or directory
!! failed

im guessing that the file in the home folder has a slightly different name with spaces n stuff? I know my name doesnt have the spaces around the _USERBLD_ would that mess it up?

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
im guessing that the file in the home folder has a slightly different name with spaces n stuff? I know my name doesnt have the spaces around the _USERBLD_ would that mess it up?
Yes if the file name isn't exaclty the same it will show an error. Go to the file and right click it and select the filename and copy it. Then put it in place of the filename that registered the error. I'll check into the filename problem.

mgalceran

Oct 14, 2010
Sweet! It's finally started flashing. Hopefully it won't run into anymore weird things. Thanks a ton for the help!!

Klyentel

Aug 23, 2009
Cary, NC
bit.ly
trying to unbrick my cousin's droid 2...i followed the directions carefully and I keep getting "waiting for phone" message in terminal, but I already have the phone plugged in and it is in bootloader mode, why won't it detect?

Last edited:

J.harris

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks a lot for the help! My phone was doing the boot loop so I followed your guide. Now everything is just like it was when I got the phone. When everything was done and the computer said the phone was rebooting I still had the boot loop issue. I then saw where facelessuser said you have to clear the cache, so I did and she booted up normally.

Something funny to note, in the terminal it said Droid X found, I thought that would be an issue but everything worked fine.

Thanks again, you saved me!

Top Liked Posts