Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I use this widget? Every time I click the icon it just brings up a stupid information screen.
A: Scroll down to the next post, I have provided a simple guide to installing Clockr/Clockr Evolution on your Home screen.
Q: Why does a clock need permission to read phone state?
A: Apparently it doesn't, this has been removed in the latest versions available on the Android Market. If you are being asked for this permission by my app, you are using an older version, please update. - Thanks zappatilias
Q: Some other clocks don't use a service, why does yours?
A: Clockr will only use a service if you enable "Force Update". If you are having problems with the clock going out of sync, you might need to enable "Force Update" as most people suggest this is the best method. In fact I have tested Clockr against other similar clocks using Watchdog real-time profiling and I have found Clockr (With Force Update enable) to be one of the most efficient of all of them in regard to actual CPU usage. I encourage you to test this yourself, you will be surprised at how little this app uses.
Q: Why does it put an item in my notification bar if I select "Force Update"?
A: Since Android 2.0, there have been changes to how services are handled. To keep a service from not being killed by the Android OS, you need to set it to run in the foreground. Since a clock widget needs to be constantly updating itself every new minute that passes, we don't want the OS to kill it off at the wrong time. Now, by setting itself in the foreground, it doesn't mean it's actually working any harder, it just means that when the OS decides to kill off services, it will leave it alone.
In the old days (pre-2.0), it was possible to start a service and flag it as "foreground" and that was it. To do the same thing now, Android requires that a notification is shown to the user at all times. I've hidden it as much as possible (thanks to xaffron for his suggestions), but if you don't like the idea of a notification sitting there, you can switch "Force Update" off.
Q: When will you add this feature...
A: At the moment, I am working on including many features. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread but I can only work on so many things at once, I am only human!
Q: Why don't you respond to my complaint in the market.
A: While I do read every comment on the market, if you have a bug/issue, it is best to write about it here or even email me via the email address on the Clockr Market page (which is: firstname.lastname@example.org
). Please try to provide as much information as possible, I'm not psychic. If you can include what phone you have, which rom (official/custom) you are using, how did the bug occur, what were you doing, etc... it will help me greatly to find the problem.
Q: Will you be adding support for App2SD
A: No. Please stop asking, you're making yourself look silly. App2SD does not and never will work for widgets.
2010.11.16 - version 1.5.1
- Removed Notification
- Added option to change case (lower, defAUlt, UPPER)
- Added option to change alignment (left | center | right)
- Added force 12hr (for 24hr system clock users that prefer 12hr style Clockr)
- Fixed some landscape view bugs
2010.11.11 - version 1.1
- Total re-design of the Options Menu!
- Added new slide-bar dialog for selecting colors! (Thanks for the tip zappatilias!)
- Font Colors are now 100% custom instead of pre-selected list
- The middle number can now be colored separately
- *Date now has a lot of new options similar to the Time (Clockr Evolution only)
- Uniform version numbers for Clockr and Clockr Evolution
2010.11.08 - version 0.9
- Added "Tap To Open.." feature
- Added Lowercase option if you prefer the middle word in lowercase
- Added Different clock styles to change the middle word to ZERO, OH, or O'
- Added Font customisation options
- Big code clean-up
- Reduced file size by 25%
- Improved performance
- Added Date feature to Clockr Evolution (donate version)
2010.11.05 - version 0.9
- Fixed FC issues
- Added configuration screen (tap on widget to open)
- Service method now updated to work with Android 2.0+ changes (thanks xaffron)
- Added handler to check if phone screen is on/off (borrowed from 24 Clock)
2010.10.28 - version 0.3.6
- Major overhaul
- Recoded 80% of the application
- Now starts a service which is a lot more efficient that previous versions.
- Fixed the "not updating after reboot" issue.
- Added 24 hour clock support.
2010.10.27 - version 0.3.5
- Minor patch to fix some reports of crashing.
2010.10.26 - version 0.3.4
- Clock now updates correctly at the same time as system clock
2010.10.25 - version 0.3.3
- Changes made to some of the words.
2010.10.25 - version 0.3.2
- First public beta release
- Support for devices 2.1+