Anyone else with a Huawei S7 tablet here?

29th October 2010, 08:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 5

107 posts
More
I have had my Huawei S7 Android tablet for a week now, and I'm really longing for some Rom hacks - especially to move apps to SD since it apparently only has room for 128MB of apps according to SystemPanel and I'm getting "low space" notifications all the time and thus can't install updates, Gtalk won't run (I think it's related), etc.

Rooting was really simple, just download and run UniversalAndroot.apk but the next steps I'm a bit uncertain about; finding and installing the right Recovery image, then if I succeed installing some apps2sd solution (Darktremor?) or just some Froyo rom.

Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.

~Christopher
Last edited by grenness; 29th October 2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
1st November 2010, 11:49 AM   |  #2  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 14

755 posts
More
Hi. Just pre-ordered here in the States, hopefully this will ship by the 7th of Nov. One quick question is the screen in your device resistive or capacitive? As for your dilemma with storage I'm sure that soon a solution will be found by someone here.
1st November 2010, 03:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

107 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfly9884

One quick question is the screen in your device resistive or capacitive?

Resistive.
1st November 2010, 06:06 PM   |  #4  
Flag Miami

755 posts
More
From what I have seeing, the resistive screen is pretty responsive, so this is not a major problem. The small storage space is something that must be addressed if this device is going to last. The archos 7 had this problem in the beggining untill a custom ROM took care of this by doubling the storage size. I think that the HS7 will be fixed in this way first then a2sd might kick in later on.
2nd November 2010, 02:25 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

107 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenness

Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.

Fixed.

The internal storage memory in the S7 is called "SDCARD" for some stupid reason (have they just bought a lot of cheap 8GB SD Cards and glued them to the motherboard, not bothering with formatting and giving them a different name like "STORAGE" or "DISK"?).
This apparently confuses several applications.
The name for the external Micro SD card, I found out by using Terminal Emulator, is "SDCARD2", so by specifying to RockPlayer that /this/ is where to look for files (SDCARD2 doesn't show up when browsing the directories, not in RockPlayer, not in Astro File Manager, not in stock Video player...) I am finally able to play .avi files from my MicroSD :)
3rd November 2010, 01:59 AM   |  #6  
Flag Miami

755 posts
More
Good going!
7th November 2010, 08:01 PM   |  #7  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 51

1,167 posts
More
Thumbs up Wow
Ok so got mine yesterday at BestBuy and im very impressed with this tablet. Put my tmobile sim card in and works great for data and calls. GPS also works very well.
It would be great to root and put Froyo on this. Screen is very responsive and fit and finish is great. At $299 they have a home run.
8th November 2010, 01:54 AM   |  #8  
Flag baltimore
Thanks Meter: 6

321 posts
More
the screen is good until you try to double tap its nice but mines is going back to bestbuy and i will be getting samsung tab
9th November 2010, 06:57 PM   |  #9  
Flag Edina, MN
Thanks Meter: 165

278 posts
More
Got mine over the weekend along with a Cruz Reader and a Cruz Tablet from Best Buy for comparison. Hands down the Huawei is far superior. The capacitive screen alone is just not enough to overcome the rest of the shortcomings of the Cruz Tablet. The S& screen is the best resistive screen I have used, add in BT and 2.1 and I am happy so far. Now we just need a chef to start cooking....
9th November 2010, 08:54 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thumbs up Got mine yesterday!
I just picked mine up for Best Buy yesterday and I am still playing with it to make my final decision. But for the most part I am liking it. The screen responsiveness it pretty good not as good and my HTC EVO which is what I am use too but it is far better than what I was expecting. A hugh plus is that it has the Android market and front and rear cameras. The only down side it that there is still not much to choose from as far as apps to use the cameras. I got this device to eliminate carrying my Mac from place to place and still be able to post to decision boards and work on my papers when I'm away from home. So far this device has exceeded my expectations.

What is everyone else feeling about their S7?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, huawei, tablet
Previous Thread Next Thread