[Q] Reverting to stock - clarification required please

OP ddotpatel

18th November 2010, 10:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds, UK
Thanks Meter: 7

1,161 posts
More
I'm hoping there is someone here to clarify some information regarding ROM flashing for me by answering a few questions.

I want to be able to flash ROMs and kernels, but be able to return completely back to stock.As I understand, this is not completely possible but I want for somebody to tell me I am wrong?

1... Will an RUU revert back to s-on?... that is what I'm assuming cannot be reversed.

If s-off cannot be reversed I plan to just root, then replace all apks with the odexed and zip-aligned versions from the Modaco ROM instead.

2... Will I still be able to flash an OC kernel with root enabled but with s-on?
3... If this is possible then I assume I can revert to stock from any of this with the RUU, correct?

Thanks a lot.
18th November 2010, 10:47 AM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 615

5,322 posts
More
That's not correct, you can go back to stock even if you flash custom ROMs etc.

But do *not* just apply a stock RUU once you have a custom ROM, see this for more info as to why not - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838484

Follow the guides in the dev forum on how to return to stock.
18th November 2010, 11:27 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds, UK

1,161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewevie

That's not correct, you can go back to stock even if you flash custom ROMs etc.

But do *not* just apply a stock RUU once you have a custom ROM, see this for more info as to why not - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838484

Follow the guides in the dev forum on how to return to stock.

Thank you for the swift reply!!

That's sweet music to my ears.

If you don't mind just giving me the nod to this then...

My Build number: 1.34.405.5 CL273326 release-keys

So to unroot and s-on I can follow the following little section from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835971 using the PC10IMG from the EURO generic 1.34.405.5 rom.zip.....

Quote:

Step 2.) Restore factory BOOTLOADER, RECOVERY, KERNEL, ROM (THIS RE-ENABLES S-ON)

Place the factory firmware you downloaded in step 2 above on the root of your sdcard and rename it to PC10IMG.zip one you have done this power off the device and power back on by holding volume down and power. Once in the bootloader it will then scan your sdcard and find the file needed, be patient this can take quite a few minutes. After it finishes scanning you will then have to hit the Volume up key on the side of the phone to restore the software. This will take approximately 5-10 minutes. The phone will reboot in the middle of the update to restore S-ON once rebooted it will then scan sdcard again and resume flashing. Once completed you will have to hit Power to reboot and boot back into the factory restored android os.

..... then just run the 1.34.405.5 RUU?

Or do I need to downgrade to an older ROM 1st as stated in that link I looked at above?

Thanks again
18th November 2010, 11:34 AM   |  #4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 615

5,322 posts
More
I don't think you need to run that RUU at all, but please wait till someone else confirms if you're going to try this yourself, I don't have enough experience yet to say for sure.
Last edited by steviewevie; 18th November 2010 at 11:48 AM.
18th November 2010, 11:46 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds, UK

1,161 posts
More
Ok no problem, I'll worry about it another time. Now, know I can go back if I need to, I can start playing!!!

thank you.

If anyone else can add to this please do.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
revert, s-off, s-on, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread