New Jersey
Roto can you tell me what setup your using
Sim.rom.plan
Sent from my SGH-T849 using XDA App

Current Setup:
Euro ROM
Vibrant radio.bin
AT&T SIM voice + edge internet
Tmobile SIM data only edge (3g if I put back stock radio)

Notes:
The Euro radio.bin doesnt give voice or data on AT&T, EDGE data only on Tmobile.
The Captivate radio works the same as the Vibrant one as far as I can tell.
Stock USA radio.bin gives 3g data on Tmobile, EDGE on AT&T, no voice on either.

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
thanks to the help of rotohammer i flashed the Vibrant modem.bin and tried using my current Vibrant sim (voice/android data), well unfortunately it still does not work when i open the browser i am directed to the tmo site. PLEASE NOTE I WAS NOT TRYING TO GET THE PHONE OPTION TO WORK, I WANTED TO TEST IF MY CURRENT SIM WOULD ALLOW ME TO GO ONLINE AFTER UPDATING THE MODEM.BIN. Just wanted to get that out of the way. So i will be going back to the stock modem.bin and either keep using my tab via wifi or return it. No looking very good on getting this TAB to work on a regular SIM without having to get the Webconnect.....:(

if anyone out there has any more ideas on how to get the TAB to work with a regular android data SIM please do share otherwise as i stated before it is not looking good...:(

xexes

Nov 6, 2010
Hi roto...

anoamare over on the CDMA thread posted these thoughts about getting calling going:

"Well, first we need a recovery like clockwork for one. I was working on it but ubuntu on my pc is being stupid..

With recovery im willing to risk another tab but sense i swaped this out already im not.

The reason i think its not so easy to just swap apk's is because the whole framework + system folder needs to be resigned to work with the phone.apk.

I say this because when working on the EVO rom when i had to patch the phone.apk, i also had to sign it and sign anything that was associated with it on my pc. Or phone.apk would throw a bunch of "fc's" "

Just curious about your take on this pls? After this post he talks about once the framework is resigned then he would make a rom based on the Fascinate.

Thanks...

Last edited:

samsci

Sep 8, 2009
Atlanta
I just got a call from the Executive Customer Service Department. They were pretty nice, but after a long conversation and different scenarios, they pretty much said, there was no way TMobile 'could' set it up to allow voice for the Galaxy Tab. The configuration is for Data only.

So, if anyone says, TMobile can do it, they won't. Period.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Current Setup:
Euro ROM
Vibrant radio.bin

Notes:
The Euro radio.bin doesnt give voice or data on AT&T, EDGE data only on Tmobile.

That is very interesting as the euro ROM + euro modem.bin does work will on at&t with voice and 3g on the EURO model.
I wonder why the same does not work on the T-Mobile model (with euro ROM+ euro modem.bin)...
I figure you would not get 3G but you should at least get EDGE (data+voice) to work on at&t.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
Current Setup:
Euro ROM
Vibrant radio.bin

Notes:

how long does it take to swap out the modem ?
just curious cause i asked the other day if it was easy to make a modem switch

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010

it takes literally 30 seconds to swap a new modem.bin only problem is that u need a computer to do it. so if ur thinking of carrying both and just swapping when u need it, i dont recommend it. i wouldnt wanna keep flashing back and forth. i wonder if it can do damage to the phone in any way.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
it takes literally 30 seconds to swap a new modem.bin only problem is that u need a computer to do it. so if ur thinking of carrying both and just swapping when u need it, i dont recommend it. i wouldnt wanna keep flashing back and forth. i wonder if it can do damage to the phone in any way.
i doubt flashing will do any harm to your tab as i flashed hundreds of roms on plenty of phones
also note i didnt know you had to flash the modem i thought it could be done through root explorer

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
i doubt flashing will do any harm to your tab as i flashed hundreds of roms on plenty of phones
also note i didnt know you had to flash the modem i thought it could be done through root explorer

yeah but u could be flashing up to 3 times a day if ur switching modem files. u flash a rom like once a week or maybe every two if ur that into it; thats what i use to do. i mean the ROM on any device shouldnt be altered that much. who knows, i could be completely wrong. but its only a matter of time before we get a tmobile/euro modem.bin hybrid.

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ

i flashed the vibrant modem.bin on the tab and did not work with my Vibrant voice/data plan, every time i launched the browser it took me to the tmo website, flashed back to stock modem.bin....:(

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
That is very interesting as the euro ROM + euro modem.bin does work will on at&t with voice and 3g on the EURO model.
I wonder why the same does not work on the T-Mobile model (with euro ROM+ euro modem.bin)...
I figure you would not get 3G but you should at least get EDGE (data+voice) to work on at&t.

Its different hardware due to the different 3g frequencies T-mobile USA uses.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Its different hardware due to the different 3g frequencies T-mobile USA uses.

But the people who flashed the euro firmware+modem on the t-mobile device were able to get EDGE data + voice on T-mobile (850Mhz/1900Mhz EDGE) so why would the same not work on at&t?
Or do i have my information all wrong here?

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
But the people who flashed the euro firmware+modem on the t-mobile device were able to get EDGE data + voice on T-mobile (850Mhz/1900Mhz EDGE) so why would the same not work on at&t?
Or do i have my information all wrong here?

Ok, Ill elaborate. It does work, but with very low signal. Theres something odd about how it sets up the cellular radio. As soon as I flash a different one, the signal strength jumps from no bars to 5. I have a multi-band cellular repeater in my office, so its not a bad signal.

Now, since the Vibrant radio.bin didn't enable 3G, that leaves us with the /system/lib/lib*ril*.so files. They have everything to do with 3G enabling. I'm going to start swapping in the libs from the US firmware into the Euro one.

At this point, I feel phone + 3G is achievable. I'm not so sure T-mobiles proxy internet block is solvable. I've already ditched the idea of switching to T-Mobile for all my service. They can bite me!

In a nutshell, some of us will have it all. Its going to take either some libraries/software and/or a particular radio.bin.

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
so best bet is to return my tab to tmobile and gett att on black fri

I'm not so sure yet. I just picked up a Simple Mobile SIM locally and its working better than the AT&T SIM in that on EDGE, AT&T in my area has a 450ms latency, whereas T-Mobile (the backbone of Simple Mobile) is only 220ms. Simple Mobile is a heck of a lot cheaper than anyone else and theres no bull**** Internet blocking going on. I think it may be the only winner in the short run.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
I'm not so sure yet. I just picked up a Simple Mobile SIM locally and its working better than the AT&T SIM in that on EDGE, AT&T in my area has a 450ms latency, whereas T-Mobile (the backbone of Simple Mobile) is only 220ms. Simple Mobile is a heck of a lot cheaper than anyone else and theres no bull**** Internet blocking going on. I think it may be the only winner in the short run.
anyway you can do a full write up as to what methods you did from start to finish all on one page so we can have easy access to it
right now im following 3 -4 different threads on all this

Adapt0r

Jan 17, 2009
Success with imei

Hi guys
Hope somebody might benefit from my experience and avoid stupidity.
After my attempt to do network unlock screwing the nv_data I've lost my original serial number as well as imei. This is a big deal because it is identification number of the phone that should be protected to avoid identity theft.
Luckily I saved a copy of nv_data.bin of SD card before screwing around.
My limited research showed that without such copy I would have only one choice to ask Samsung for repair or live with Wifi tablet.
I made a call to their technical support and tried honestly describe my problem. You will love this - the lady told me that I need to call Microsoft and was going to give a phone number. I stopped there :).
Today I did research of my Vibrant (younger Galaxy brother) and discovered that there is no way I can generate md5 hash for my nv_data. Samsung is using something else in addition to the .bin file. I also found product code for T-mobile US, that is TMB.
This code should be in two places
@ offset 0x18800F was SER changed to TMB
@ offset 0x188021 was SER changed to TMB
Then I
- saved modified nv_data.bin to sd card,
- using root explorer copied it to efs/ directory
- deleted md5 file existed in that directory
- rebooted.
Now everything came back. T-mobile recognizes me as legitimate customer.
Conclusions: don't trust everything is said on forums and do your own research or be prepared to suffer.
Although this is not a complete picture you can get a point.
Cheers!

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
After my attempt to do network unlock screwing the nv_data I've lost my original serial number as well as imei. This is a big deal because it is identification number of the phone that should be protected to avoid identity theft.

Very interesting. Could you describe which technique you used that trashed the nv_data.bin file? We want folks to stay away from that. I just got word that my technique just worked for someone else, without trashing the IMEI or serial number.

Regardless, the process is totally reversible if you backup your files first.

Also, the carrier code in my original nv_data.bin is set to KOR, which I assume means KORea.

Reactions: snipersquad8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As mentioned in;
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=837266
    in case it got lost at the end, we now have the US TMobile Galaxy Tab making/receiving phone calls.

Download Odin3 v1.70
    to flash.

Used;
    P1_20100909.pit
    for formating. Selected 'Repartition' 'AutoReboot' 'fResetTime'. That rebooted with nothing apparently working but the filesystem structure was setup.

Download P1000XXJHA
    for the base rom.

Then, unchecked the 'repartion' part (as the structure is setup, don't want to screw it up, the next flashing needs to 'drop in' where the structure is.

Then, loading into the JHA.rar just downloaded, flash that and reboot.

To update to latest;
    download and flash;
    P1000OXAJK1.tar

Pop in your SIM.

At this point, reboot. It'll probably show 'Emergency Calls only'
    Went into the wireless/Mobile Settings/NetworkOperators and made sure it was connected to TMobile.
    At that point, I made my first call and it worked.
    Received a call too, also working.

Good luck. If there's an easier way todo this, I'm all ears as I had a few moments of 'uh oh, why's it now showing anything' but the fantastic forum posts here with people having the same problem resolved that.
    Only working on Edge at this time also.

No idea how later updates will work too, so caveat emptor.

*Edit. Further adventures.
    So, now having the euro stuff on to make calls, but having the issues, wanted to try a few things. Put the US Tmobile back on to get 3g but lose voice.
    Firing up a call, logs showing;
    [ 11-19 19:11:19.179 2578:0xa12 D/GSM ]
    Poll ServiceState done: oldSS=[0 home T-Mobile T-Mobile 310260 (manual) UMTS CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] newSS=[0 home T-Mobile T-Mobile 310260 (manual) UMTS CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] oldGprs=0 newGprs=0 oldType=UMTS newType=UMTS

[ 11-19 19:11:19.179 2578:0xa12 D/GSM ]
    [GsmMultiDCT] GSMDataConnTrack handleMessage { what=29 when=46864 }

[ 11-19 19:11:19.242 2578:0xa12 D/GSM ]
    [GsmMultiDCT] Get PreferredAPN

[GsmMultiDCT] Clean up connection due to apnChanged

[GsmMultiDCT] setState: DISCONNECTING

[GsmMultiDCT] cleanUpConnection: teardown, call conn.disconnect

Interesting the error message shows it's APN. Leads me to (wildly) guess that a new radio COULD be worked out, but also the carriers could send out an update message to allow it to work without other upgrades. If so, then there may be an 'enable switch' we can use to get it working too.
    I went to *#2263# menu and selected all the bands, including 850 and 1900, but still nada. Most of the time my tab losses total signal and goes into emergency only mode. I have played with the setting but no luck so far with ATT. Anything I am missing?

Now it looks like it is connected to ATT but I have zero bars and is showing a "G" for data. I know I have full strength signal here. =(

I can confirm I have the exact same behavior with my Tab on AT&T. Perhaps is the radio from the Euro firmware? Considering I also lost 3g on T-mobile as well, I would hope its just a crappy radio instead of an intentional crippling by Samsung.
    Making phone calls possible

Here is a another story about making T-Mobile Galaxy Tab that eventually can save somebody some time.

1. What is needed:
    - T-Mobile Galaxy Tab with USB debug enabled
    - Windows PC with two Samsung applications available:
    Kies_1.5.3.10103_100_2.exe - for installation of download drivers and nothing else
    Odin3_v1.7.zip - flashing utility
    - P1000XWJJ4.rar - European ROM package that contains 4 files
    P1_add_hidden.pit - "PIT" files defining memory stricture
    P1000XWJJ4-REV03-ALL-CL639474.tar.md5 - "PDA" core firmware
    MODEM_P1000XXJID.tar.md5 - "MODEM" firmware
    GT-P1000-CSC-SERJJ2.tar.md5 - "CSC" firmware

Rar file should be unpacked into the same folder as Odin.

2. Flashing procedure:
    - shutdown the Tab
    - replace original SIM card with another one that has a phone number
    - launch Odin..exe
    - put the Tab in the Download mode by pushing simultaneously buttons "Volume Down" and "Power". In result you should see a yellow digger in triangular on the screen
    - connect the Tab by USB data cable to PC
    - Odin should show active (yellow) ID:COM window with COM number
    - select options Re-partition+Auto Reboot+F.Resre Time
    - select corresponding files clicking buttons: PIT, PDA, PHONE, CSC.
    - click start and hope for better :)

It takes about 10 min to finish.
    Surprisingly, my Tab booted in Russian locale. All European languages are available and you can change to whatever you wish.
    My regular T-mobile SIM card worked without questions. I could place calls without any extra efforts.
    It is amazing!!!
    I've got ROM and Odin using links in XDA, Kies - from Samsung support portal.
    Be careful to do flashing for the first time. You should have all firmware files when selecting re-partitioning. Later you can update just one particular component without it.
    I did not study ROM differences but you can learn it from samfirmware.com

Enjoy!!!

Very interesting. Could you describe which technique you used that trashed the nv_data.bin file? We want folks to stay away from that. I just got word that my technique just worked for someone else, without trashing the IMEI or serial number.

Regardless, the process is totally reversible if you backup your files first.

Also, the carrier code in my original nv_data.bin is set to KOR, which I assume means KORea.
    I guess majority want one thing: give me straight answer and I don't want to learn. Obviously, they don't have works experience where you need to get the answer yourself. There no teachers around.
    Now in regards to How to flash I would recommend reread initial posts in this thread. Your check list should include:
    1. Root your Tab using z4root
    2. Install Root explorer
    3. Copy your most important data located in the system directory, at least in the system/efs on external_sd (make directory efs_backup on external_sd). This will preserve your original IMEI and serial number etc in case of failure.
    4. Initial flash beter be done using P1000XWJJ4 file set that include full ROM with proper PIT file.
    I did full flash twice on both AT&T and TMB Tabs without any glitches. The only complication is the booting in Russian. This is the only ROM supporting all European languages from Bulgarian to Ukrainian.
    Then I reflashed only PDA component without PIT and repartition with fresher ROM build. I also tested different modem flashing the same way without selecting PIT and repartion.
    5. Assuming that all necessary USB drivers are installed, unpack your ROM,
    launch ODIN, then select and point to ROM components: PDA, Phone (modem), and CSC using browse button. Select repartition if this is full reflash.
    6. When everything is selected and file tab are populated you are ready to connect the TAB:
    - shut it down
    - put it download mode by holding two keys: "Volume down" and "Power". Shortly after pushing them together you should see yellow triangular with a digger
    - connect USB cable to you Tab and computer. ODIN should identify connected Tab making one window yellow and ready message in console window
    - click start and wait until the Tab reboots.
    Basically that is all. Then you might need to do some checking and adjustments depending on carrier you are going to use.

Please, REREAD prior postings before doing reflashing.