Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 54,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OneNote / Live - Awesome feature, barely documented?

Tip us?

Talys
Old
(Last edited by Talys; 23rd November 2010 at 07:29 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default OneNote / Live - Awesome feature, barely documented?

I've been using WP7 for about 5-6 days now. It's been an interesting combination of "How can that be missing?" and "Holy crap, that's cool!". By far, I think the most awesome and unique features are the cloud-related ones, like auto upload photos to SkyDrive and Zune.

And then I discovered the uber-coolness of OneNote.

As with many things on WP7, the documentation is scarce, burried, or both. But, did you know that you can have tabbed OneNote Notebook on WP7? Did you know that it can be perfectly synced to the free Web version and to the Office 2010 version of your PC?

Did you know that you can even have multiple notebooks?

If not, here's how:

1. Go to office.live.com on your PC, and make sure that you have a OneNote file created. If you've used OneNote from your PC, there should be a Personal (Web) file. If not, create it.

2. If you have OneNote on your PC, you can open it from office.live.com; just hover over the file, and click Open in OneNote. OneNote will save a book tab on the left side (in rotated print).

3. On your phone, set OneNote sync on (from Settings / Applications / Office / OneNote). Make sure to set Internet to default to mobile version (important!) and navigate to office.live.com in the Browser.

4. Go to the folder you have the OneNote Notebook, and tap it to open it. This automatically adds the Notebook to your OneNote on the phone, and opens it in OneNote. The tabs will all sync.

Presto -- you now have a Cloud based OneNote Notebook synced to your phone! You can see all your tabs, and all your pages; if you make changes, it all gets synced on the cloud automatically, and you can see it all on your Office 2010 version of OneNote, too!

You can even color your tabs. Just set the colors on your PC or Web, and they'll sync on the phone.

Want a second or third notebook? Just create a new one on Office Live, then go there on the phone and add it.

Also: if you tap and hold a notebook section (tab) you have the ability to set that as the default for new pages.

Neat, huh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talys For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orb3000
Old
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,033
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for letting us know, shame I donīt have a WP7
Any pics?
orb

HTC One M8 - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognizes that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

smuook
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Excellent. I'm a bit of a OneNote junky. I use it for everything. This is great info. Thanks for sharing.

nrfitchett4
Old
Thanks Meter 522
interesting find.
Now we just have to wait for the barrage of people who think the cloud is evil....
The Following User Says Thank You to nrfitchett4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wheresmybeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Great tip! Just tried it on my HD7 and it works great!

I'm wondering; is there any way to password protect individual pages or tabs? If so, this would be the ideal way to store my passwords and bank details. As of now, there's no eWallet or SPB Wallet for WP7 and I'm missing that functionality :(

NB I suppose I could set a pin for the phone in general, for basic protection, but still if I give my phone to someone to make a call or whatever they could still open my notes...

Talys
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
The password protection issue is part of my "huh, how did they miss THAT (scratches head)?". It also bugs me that once you put a credit card into Zune marketplace, anyone can make purchases without password approval too -- what's up with that?

RustyGrom
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Cell phones are normally a "singler user" device unlike computers (although even those are now single-user more often than not). If you want to password protect your notes, just put a pin on your lockscreen that will in effect password protect your whole phone.
aka FlatSurfSucks aka @AdamUCF.

blahism
Old
Thanks Meter 8
thanks for the tip! was wondering how to get one note to sync up! love it

Talys
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
The problem that I have with locking the phone is twofold: first, I don't like how long it takes to go from locked to home screen (too many taps). Second, I generally don't need to lock my phone - the problem is, if I let someone else play with my phone (for example, a kid, in a restaurant to keep them quiet!), I don't want to worry about them buying something on Marketplace

It's not a deal killer for me, and I use my phone totally non-password protected ATM.

vHatch
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talys View Post
if I let someone else play with my phone (for example, a kid, in a restaurant to keep them quiet!), I don't want to worry about them buying something on Marketplace
You will give some random kid in a restaurant a $500 device to play with and possibly drop or run off with but then you worry about the 5% chance they will accidently purchase a $5 app?

Tags
cloud, live, office, office live, onenote