Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,212 Members 42,544 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wireless Tether

Tip us?

iamsavedme30
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Hey there need help. I have a friend that just rooted his phone and is using wireless tether, but His computer won't recognise the phone as WiFi. What should he check for or fix?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
Sent from the Kingdom of Heaven...don't be scrrrd!!![SIGPIC]

tnt2gamer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracing View Post
I have searched these forums and the net but can not find an easy solution to get the adhoc wifi of the Droid 1 to be seen by the Gtablet. In my searching I found where file wpa_supplicant.conf was to be edited and it fixed the problem (it was very involved).
I have tried everything I have read, and I still can not get my G Tablet to see my Droid 1. I have tried both Barnacle WiFi Tether and Wireless Tether. Both my G Tablet and my Droid 1 are rooted. My iPod Touch works with my Droid 1, so I don't think the Droid is the problem.

mmracing
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt2gamer View Post
I have tried everything I have read, and I still can not get my G Tablet to see my Droid 1. I have tried both Barnacle WiFi Tether and Wireless Tether. Both my G Tablet and my Droid 1 are rooted. My iPod Touch works with my Droid 1, so I don't think the Droid is the problem.
There has to be a way to do it. I thought I read somewhere how to do it but I just can't find it. I have had my Gtablet from the day they went on sale at Sears and have looked at 1000's of post then I decided it was time to root both devices to use the wifi... only to find out the adhoc from the Droid 1 wouldn't work. BAH!

jtbnet
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
There has to be a way to do it. I thought I read somewhere how to do it but I just can't find it. I have had my Gtablet from the day they went on sale at Sears and have looked at 1000's of post then I decided it was time to root both devices to use the wifi... only to find out the adhoc from the Droid 1 wouldn't work. BAH!
It does work, but not sure it does on all flavors of firmware as I had it set up just not sure which firmware I was testing on at the time... I did have problems with Original TNT stock firmware... same files I was trying worked on not sure whether early CM or Ztab... but on original TNT it looked like a wpa_supplicant bug as was definitiely seeing the conf file but wouldn't find anything with the scan... so came back with error like the original tablet I had to return did for any Infrastructure scan... I'm bouncing between both my Gtabs running diff firmware on each so easy to get confused at times... What version are you running and I'll try to give it a go tomorrow...

tcrews
Old
(Last edited by tcrews; 25th November 2010 at 02:34 PM.) Reason: added file
Thanks Meter 176
Stock GTab, rooted with market....

Flashed with clockworkmod from one of the threads here a file called wpa_adhoc-signed.zip and it worked.
Tethered to my Droid 1 to test...

I see my infrastructure AP and my adhoc "AP" but with a (*) in front of the name.

added the file I used..

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk
Attached Files
File Type: zip wpa_adhoc-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (131.0 KB, 810 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to tcrews For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tnt2gamer
Old
(Last edited by tnt2gamer; 28th November 2010 at 06:39 AM.) Reason: Successfully tested wpa_adhoc-signed.zip
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbnet View Post
What version are you running and I'll try to give it a go tomorrow...
I am also running the original G Tablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.

UPDATE: I realized last night that my files were not being overwritten with the modified ones, even though I was telling Root Explorer to replace the existing ones. I will delete the old wpa_supplicant.conf file before copying the modified version next time, to see if it makes a difference. Right now I am restoring everything that I had on the GTab little by little after frying my wifi settings last night. I couldn't get it working, so I did a factory reset and lost everything.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Yep. That was my problem. My modified wpa_supplicant.conf file was not replacing the original one. Once I deleted the old one manually, and copied the modified one in its place, it worked. I can now tether to my original Motorola Droid. I am using a program called AdhocAble to switch easily between two different wpa_supplicant.conf files (one for adhoc, and another for infrastructure).

MORE INFO: The problem I am having now is that my wireless quits working after each reboot. I have to change the file permissions on wpa_supplicant.conf to allow read-write for Other. Once I do this, the wireless starts working again. I even tried changing onwership of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to system.wifi, but that stopped AdhocAble from being able to change between adhoc and normal modes. I will probably try that patched supplicant binary soon.

FINAL UPDATE: Wow. wpa_adhoc-signed.zip worked for me, too. My Droid 1 is showing up with an asterisk beside it in my wifi list. This is the best fix yet. Yahoo! Thanks tcrews for posting this one.

jtbnet
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

Flashed with clockworkmod from one of the threads here a file called wpa_adhoc-signed.zip and it worked.

I see my infrastructure AP and my adhoc "AP" but with a (*) in front of the name.

THANX... I'll give this a try as after having gone through this on multiple tablets multiple times this smelled of a wpa_supplicant bug on TNT!

mmracing
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Rooted stock Gtablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.

I have not tried any different ROMs.

jtbnet
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Rooted stock Gtablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.

I have not tried any different ROMs.
Well basic TNT is what I originally had problems with... I'll try the supplicant patch hopefully tomorrow...

rodzero
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

added the file I used..

+1 for this post. major thanks to the poster. i was having problems with my gtab seeing my droid1 when running wireless tether, and this did the trick. for reference, currently using tnt 2.0.2 (supplemental applied to tnt 2.0.0). now ill be able to take this thing with me on the road this weekend and enjoy it. thanks again!

ps, the file flashed will not show in this quote, so scroll up to that post and grab it if you are in the same boat i was in.