Originally Posted by jtbnet
What version are you running and I'll try to give it a go tomorrow...
I am also running the original G Tablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.
UPDATE: I realized last night that my files were not being overwritten with the modified ones, even though I was telling Root Explorer to replace the existing ones. I will delete the old wpa_supplicant.conf file before copying the modified version next time, to see if it makes a difference. Right now I am restoring everything that I had on the GTab little by little after frying my wifi settings last night. I couldn't get it working, so I did a factory reset and lost everything.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Yep. That was my problem. My modified wpa_supplicant.conf file was not replacing the original one. Once I deleted the old one manually, and copied the modified one in its place, it worked. I can now tether to my original Motorola Droid. I am using a program called AdhocAble to switch easily between two different wpa_supplicant.conf files (one for adhoc, and another for infrastructure).
MORE INFO: The problem I am having now is that my wireless quits working after each reboot. I have to change the file permissions on wpa_supplicant.conf to allow read-write for Other. Once I do this, the wireless starts working again. I even tried changing onwership of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to system.wifi, but that stopped AdhocAble from being able to change between adhoc and normal modes. I will probably try that patched supplicant binary soon.
FINAL UPDATE: Wow. wpa_adhoc-signed.zip worked for me, too. My Droid 1 is showing up with an asterisk beside it in my wifi list. This is the best fix yet. Yahoo! Thanks tcrews for posting this one.