Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 54,208 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] *Layman's iGo Jig* [Solderless]

Tip us?

SiL3nTKiLL
Old
Thanks Meter 67
pretty legit mod, imma try and clean this up a bit and see if i can do a better looking job (no offense on ur job though!)
Phones:
1. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
2. iPhone 4S
Tabs:
Apple iPad 2
Galaxy Tab 10.1

xredjokerx
Old
(Last edited by xredjokerx; 17th November 2010 at 11:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 157
Default Another "How To"

What the.. duplicated post... weird.
Currently running: Galaxy Note II

If you don't have drop box, please help me out and use my referral link http://db.tt/XJuRP3T

xredjokerx
Old
(Last edited by xredjokerx; 18th November 2010 at 07:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 157
Default Another "How To"

Alright guys, I bricked my phone last week (well, not bricked but disabled my 3 button combos and it was FCing on OS boot), and so I set out on the forums to find a clean-solderless alternative to getting into download mode. I didn't feel like dissecting a microusb cable, nor did I feel like soldering

This mod requires:
About a week wait time
A backup phone (if yours is already bricked so you have a phone to use)
A XDA and a Paypal account

First I found this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819551) and went over to (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...ducts_id=10031) to buy a micro usb breakboard. It cost me about 9 dollars shipped to my door. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it got here on Monday (Thursday was veterans day, too). Came in a nice box in which I now store my completed jig.

Edit: Well the person I got my resistor from isnt selling them anymore, so you'll need to find someone to get it from =/ sorry! this isnt as useful then D:

Then you just plug in the resistor in slots 4 and 5 like so...

And you have a working jig. Really easy, works perfectly, and no cutting into any microusb cable. And now you also have this nice little box from sparkfun to store your jig in too. Don't forget to not touch the resistor when you insert it in your phone. Just hold it by the edges of the breakboard. This cost about the same as OP but just requires a little more waiting time. But it's so much neater and less troublesome.

Good Luck!

Edit: Resized picture

If you don't have drop box, please help me out and use my referral link http://db.tt/XJuRP3T
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xredjokerx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rhiannon224
Old
Thanks Meter 418
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...819551&page=20

post 198, if you want to pay someone to make a JIG for you go here.
Current devices;
Moto X

Previous devices;
Samsung Nexus S; sold
Samsung Captivate; sold
Note 2; sold
HTC Sensation; gone

norcal einstein
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I have a bunch of parts for JIGs being delivered to me on Monday. After I make mine, I'm willing to sell the rest to people who need em.

buddy17
Old
Thanks Meter 35
wow that sparkfun jig is REALLY cool!! I don't understand why everyone is so scared of soldering though, unless they simply just don't have a solder gun (you should have one anyway).

I think i will order that sparkfun breakout and solder a resistor in for a nice complete jig.

xredjokerx
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy17 View Post
wow that sparkfun jig is REALLY cool!! I don't understand why everyone is so scared of soldering though, unless they simply just don't have a solder gun (you should have one anyway).

I think i will order that sparkfun breakout and solder a resistor in for a nice complete jig.
the reason i didnt solder is because im away at college and all my tinkering equipment is at home (which is about an hour and a half away). i didnt want to buy new equipment just to fix my phone, nor did i want to wait til i went home again..

soldering is easy but it can be daunting if you've never done it before. i mean i've burned my self on my iron before and it was not a fun ordeal ahaha. otherwise from that, this worked quite nicely so i dont need to solder--saved me money and time

buddy17
Old
Thanks Meter 35
they are showing that board out of stock...you must have got the last one!

norcal einstein
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Since this thread was one of the ones that inspired me to make a Download mode jig, I thought I'd share what I put together today.

Made with a MicroUSB female plug, 300kohm resistor, & wire from a torn apart ethernet cable. I had originally planed for it to be half the size of what it is, and a lot cleaner (without a loop in it). But soldering to the damn usb plug was a pain, and the tins are fairly fragile.

It works like a charm though!

Xstop
Old
(Last edited by Xstop; 26th November 2010 at 01:57 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal einstein View Post
Since this thread was one of the ones that inspired me to make a Download mode jig, I thought I'd share what I put together today.

Made with a MicroUSB female plug, 300kohm resistor, & wire from a torn apart ethernet cable. I had originally planed for it to be half the size of what it is, and a lot cleaner (without a loop in it). But soldering to the damn usb plug was a pain, and the tins are fairly fragile.

It works like a charm though!
Looks great and clean work! I ended up purchasing 2 of the micro-usb break-out board, yet I still use the one that is posted to get me into download mode.

I don't know if it has any affect or not, but when I flash to stock with Odin.
I normally won't do a "adb reboot download". But I will turn the phone completely off, pull battery for 5min, then use the jig to get it into download mode, then restore.

HTC One (M8) | GPe 4.4.3 + root
LG G2 | Stock 4.2.2 + root
Galaxy Note 3 | Stock 4.3 + root
HTC One Black (M7) | GPe Stock 4.4.2 + root
Galaxy Note 8 | Stock 4.2.2 + root
Nexus 7 (2013) | Stock 4.4.2 + root