Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,443 Members 39,330 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG Optimus 7 Teardown [w/pictures]

Tip us?

wm.andrew.wilson
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default LG Optimus 7 Teardown [w/pictures]

Hi Guys,

Took the liberty of doing a teardown for all of you.

For those following along at home:
  1. Take off the back plate, remove the battery and the SIM card.
  2. Remove all screws (4 on the bottom, 2 in the middle and 2 at the top. Be careful not to strip them!)
  3. Using a guitar pick or case opening tool, remove the bottom plastic piece of the phone. Start at the top edges where the plastic meets the side.
  4. Using the same tool, remove the top plastic piece of the phone. This is incredibly tricky! There are 4 plastic clips on the back and 4 on the front, it is also held in place by adhesive. It wasn't incredibly hard to get off, but insane to get back on (I broke mine trying to get it back on and glued it into place)
  5. Using the clearance given to you by removing the top and bottom pieces, slide the case tool/guitar pick down the side and pop the phone apart. This sometimes requires quite a bit of force and a bigger guitar pick.
  6. Remove the back plate and see this...(image 16 on attachments, I can't post links yet ) Pop off the ribbon cables indicated at the boxes using the tool. Lift the main board assembly out of the phone.
  7. The main board is two levels and held together by thermal adhesive. Slide a guitar pick in between the two levels to carefully break them apart, taking into note that they are connected via a ribbon cable which needs to be removed once they are unglued from one another. This is the top level with the heat shields removed: (image 5 on attachments). The bottom with the heat shields removed reveals the main board. The front of this board is picture 3, the back is picture 7.
  8. Remove the two black screws at the top and use your tool to unclick all the clips on the two sides of the shield. Ensure to remove the antenna cable before lifting it out. When removed, the shield is in picture 9.
  9. Picture 10, screen assembly
  10. Picture 12 is the two top and bottom caps
  11. Picture 6 is the first plastic piece you remove once you take out the screws and the caps.
Conclusions: The Optimus uses 16 GB soldered on HYNIX NAND for storage, and not a SD slot like many of the other manufacturers opted for. I have no idea what the 3rd "dot" is on the light sensors on the front, but unless it is the smallest camera ever created, I sincerely doubt it is a front facing camera. (top left of picture 9).

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps some of you guys do repairs/make a device purchasing decision! Feel free to ask me any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7203.jpg
Views:	3549
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	450328   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7205.jpg
Views:	2825
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	450330   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7206.jpg
Views:	2293
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	450331   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7207.jpg
Views:	2439
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	450333   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7209.jpg
Views:	2016
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	450334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7210.jpg
Views:	2051
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	450335   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7212.jpg
Views:	1715
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	450336   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_7216.jpg
Views:	2186
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	450337  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wm.andrew.wilson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kapanak
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Amazing. And to think I spent the last five hours looking for a teardown (see the button problem thread ). Thank you so much for this. I have one question. Were you able to take off the front keys, specifically, the start key? And does everything work again after putting it together again, if you have done so already?

wm.andrew.wilson
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
So the start key is separate and comes out when disassembling. The buttons appear to be part of the screen unit and come out easily. The phone went back together perfectly, the top plastic piece is impossibly hard to reattach and i broke a couple of tabs off. It basically has to bend back into place, very frustrating.

gurucanto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Andrew. Good one. I was able to use your image to share in one of the post the part that was changed when i had a Bluetooth problem.

Commander Data
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you, thank you, thank you. We finally know. I'm not sure why I wanted to know so badly, but I just did. I am pleased to hear that LG opted for the all NAND solution and 16GB. Bravo.

I wonder whether MS has some kind of restriction that if you had no SD slot at all it needed to have a least 16GB?

yellowchilli
Old
Thanks Meter 13
great stuff

has anyone worked out what the 3rd dot/hole is for yet?
HTC One M7
Galaxy S4 SHV-E300S
Galaxy Note 8.0 3G
iPad Mini
Nexus 7 3G
iPod touch 5
Motorola Razr i XT890
Meizu MX 4-core
Motorola Razr Maxx
Nokia N9- PR 1.3
Palm/HP Pre 3

yellowchilli's playground on facebook
@ycptech
yellowchilli's gadget tips and tricks and reviews
yellowchilli's playground, Chinese

gurucanto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what do you mean by 3rd dot / hole? Which image is that?

yellowchilli
Old
Thanks Meter 13
hi gurucanto

sorry i couldn't actually locate it in the pics there...probably just me being dense.
but it's on the faceplate where the other sensors are. there's proximity, light and ?

3 holes
HTC One M7
Galaxy S4 SHV-E300S
Galaxy Note 8.0 3G
iPad Mini
Nexus 7 3G
iPod touch 5
Motorola Razr i XT890
Meizu MX 4-core
Motorola Razr Maxx
Nokia N9- PR 1.3
Palm/HP Pre 3

yellowchilli's playground on facebook
@ycptech
yellowchilli's gadget tips and tricks and reviews
yellowchilli's playground, Chinese

wm.andrew.wilson
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
It is in picture 9, the top left black piece is the ambient light sensors, and there is a 3rd sensor of some kind there. If it is a front facing camera, it is really, really, really small for a camera sensor.

samayo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you post the part number of the Hynix NAND? It would be interesting to compare the specs with an SD card.