[HOW TO] Root Motorola Defy
I've seen that there's no topic teaching how to ROOT the phone in the forum yet, so I'm making one myself, I hope this will help users who come here looking for info.
This method was originally found by jboogie3 here http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-mo...id2method.html
: If you have version 2.51 ROOT with another way, check out this topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=889133
Let's get started:
1. Put the phone in Debug Mode: Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB debugging box.
2. Extract the files from the zip below, connect the phone via USB, and copy them to the phone via ADB like this:
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
adb push exploit.bin /data/local/tmp/exploit.bin
3. Now we enter the phone's internal shell, also using ADB:
4. Then we take advantage of the "fake" root exploit:
chmod 0755 exploit.bin
5. Now after that last command you should be back to your normal console, not the phone one, so we need to connect to it again, and doing so we should now see that we have root permissions since the "#" symbol is displayed instead of "$".
6. Now we mount the /system partition as writable and copy the necessary files there, and set them with the right permissions:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
7. Restart the phone and check if you have ROOT in a terminal by typing the "su" command, or by installing any other app that requires ROOT, and seeing it the SuperUser app pops up.
Like my work and have bitcoin? Please donate: 152A5eh6QgLXYuNVxhgHtM1XxM8o85RoLL